Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moreen Sandyford - Good Place to Live?

Options
  • 01-11-2016 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Guys

I am going through the tough task of trying to buy a house in Dublin that is affordable yet practical (big enough to actually live in).

There seems to be some houses around Moreen that fit the bill.

Unfortunately, I can only seem to find negative comments online about the area. I have lived in Stepaside and Dundrum and work in the Sandyford area. I have driven down around the estate on a few occasions even very late at night and have not seen anything.

Can anyone that has lived in the area/ knows it well give me some info on it. Good and bad appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

I lived there a little while ago. It had problems many years ago and the bad reputation seems to have hung around even though the rough element has gone away. We had no problems at all - the car was fine parked outside, our windows were fine, no trouble at Halloween and no problem walking around it at night. According to the DFB map from last night, there were no bonfires in the estate but it does say that there was one inside the industrial estate which I doubt so they may have gotten the location wrong. The only people hanging around outside our house were very young kids (3-5 year olds generally) and they were playing, not hassling people or shouting at them.

It's very handy for location with Supervalu, etc across one road and Sandyford estate across the other. Luas at Kilmacud is about a 10 minute walk away.

The only downside for me is that the houses are small-ish and generally poorly insulated. They are very hard to heat. The rear wall is like a sieve and the room above the front door can be freezing. Our neighbours all had the same problems so I don't think the problem was limited to our house. Those problems could be overcome with enough money of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

markpb that is really very helpful. The security pieces are obviously top priority to make sure that the car, ppl are safe at night.

I was there last night and there was people leaving off fireworks and a small fire but to be honest, it looked like good old community spirit more than anything sinister. Lots of families were out together and I thought that was nice to see.

I am living in an apartment at the moment so am used to tight spaces. That I am hoping should not be a problem and helped by the fact that there is a garden. The heating point is always a concern but I am not overly worried if I have to spend a few quid on it to try to help that. Chances are they are poorly insulated and I can work on that over time.

Advertisement