Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm system

Options
  • 01-11-2016 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Guys,

You're probably sick to death of being asked this, so apologies in advance.

We're about to buy a new build. It is wired for an alarm system. We have no clue what to do...

We were at ideal homes exhibition over the weekend. We talked to Action 24, Phonewatch and HomeSecure.

All packages seemed to do similar things for a monitored system. I kind of preferred the Action 24 set up.
    Having read a few reviews on boards I'm a bit confused. If we were to go with one of these, would we be locked in forever as no other company can use their products?

My friend recommended a self monitored system. No idea where to start...

The monitored systems seem to be the easiest?

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

With PW you will definitely be tied to them. Not sure what the others are using at the moment.
    Stick with the known brands and you will be safe.
    Siemens Vanderbilt, Aritech UTC, HKC, GSD etc.
    Also beware of Risco, some installers have these locked down also.
    Also look into what you are paying for. With most you are buying the system, with others, like PW, you are paying an installation fee but you don't own the equipment.
    Self monitoring is where you are notified directly of alarm events without central station or Gardai being called.
    Apps are now the most popular way of doing this. Again, most are free, but some, like PW and HKC tie you to annual or monthly payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Thanks for the reply - you say stick with the well known brands, but HS and PW only seem to offer their own brand. Action 24 have a 2gig control panel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes,
    I would advise against systems to like these that may leave you tied to one provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Ok thanks.

I suppose I know what I want, I just don't know how to get it...

I want an alarm system with sensors on the doors/windows that will ring/text me when it goes off. I would then like to have 2 cameras inside the house which I can then view on my phone.

Turning the alarm on/off remotely would be helpful too.

Is there a place I can go to get this kind of package?

Siemens Vanderbilt, GSD and UTC would all do this for you with no charges for apps or subscription to use the app.
    With PW, HKC and some forms of Risco and some other own brand stuff you will be tying yourself down a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Have you any links for a Siemens Vanderbilt package, I'm in the same boat at the OP.

Action 24 are doing a deal for a €500 system, not a 100% if its a good one.

What package are you looking for a link to.
    AFAIK The Action would be tying you to them for the life of the system.

KoolKid wrote: »
    What package are you looking for a link to.
    AFAIK The Action would be tying you to them for the life of the system.

I don't want to be tied too anything.

Securigard do Siemens systems, their website seems fairly honest and to the point..

Reason I asked about a link, it's I've loads of different sites that I've looked at and it's over whelming. I'm finding it difficult to take in, since it's a lot of money to pay, I want to get it right the first time..

Basically what to to look for is a generic system like Siemens/Vanderbilt, GSD, Visonic , HKC etc.
    Look for a call out & survey with a specification covering all accessible windows/doors & a couple of PiRs(Motion Sensors).
    Beware of cheap offer's of a couple of motion sensors & maybe a door contact. These are useless as they will only activate AFTER you have been broken into.

Basically what to to look for is a generic system like Siemens/Vanderbilt, GSD, Visonic , HKC etc.
    Look for a call out & survey with a specification covering all accessible windows/doors & a couple of PiRs(Motion Sensors).
    Beware of cheap offer's of a couple of motion sensors & maybe a door contact. These are useless as they will only activate AFTER you have been broken into.

Ok, so the main two I'm looking into are the Siemens and GSD/Visonic, I like the idea of the touch pad, but not sure how much more extra it'll cost.

What if any, differences are there between them?

• Advertisement

Touch pad etc is only how it looks. Features will be the same.
    Look into the protection and coverage you have.

How sensitive are the PIR motion sensor's, how much control or ability to adjust these, do I have?

Would I get away with just the PIR sensor's, or would I definitely need window/door sensors as well?

Visonic is a kit that I got quoted on.

Hi
    I can nearly guess whose system you are looking at here. I bet you got the line that shock sensors are no good and you don't see banks using them....
    You don't see houses with the security banks have in place either.
    You should have perimeter protection with shock sensors and contacts on all ground floor and accessible points of entry. After that a couple of PiRs to back up and verify alarms.
    PiRs alone will only activate AFTER you have been broken into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi
    I can nearly guess whose system you are looking at here. I bet you got the line that shock sensors are no good and you don't see banks using them....
    You don't see houses with the security banks have in place either.
    You should have perimeter protection with shock sensors and contacts on all ground floor and accessible points of entry. After that a couple of PiRs to back up and verify alarms.
    PiRs alone will only activate AFTER you have been broken into.

But Banks do have shock sensors, I know, I fitted enough of them.

I agree on the perimeter protection and I would not touch a Visionic system with a barge pole.

I know. Banks would have shocks and probably seismic detectors also.
    Just quoting the sales speel some lads selling those systems come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

Hi KoolKid. I'm on the same boat as OP. Would you recommend any companies around Dublin installing those systems? If you don't want to share those on a public forum, please PM me.

Most good companies would be recommending good perimeter protection. Where are you located?

kub wrote: »
    I would not touch a Visionic system with a barge pole.

Why?

lewis wrote: »
    Why?

Too troublesome and they caused too many call backs.

Too troublesome and they caused too many call backs.

Was that just down to the build quality?

• Advertisement

Was that just down to the build quality?

The issues if I remember correctly was wireless detectors that stopped working as in the control panel was no longer noticing them after activating.
    Battery life spans was also an issue.

The issues if I remember correctly was wireless detectors that stopped working as in the control panel was no longer noticing them after activating.

Right, so that has me doubting that system, quiet the opposite feeling while I was talking to this crowd.

They also were not for HKC, so that's only thing I'm sure, I'm not going for.

My advice would be shop around and get 3 professional quotations. Ask them to call out and give you a survey to ensure you are getting the proper coverage/protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

That would of been on the older system.

The newer systems have two way detectors, better battery life plus frequency hopping also.
    Have fitted a good few with no real issues to report.

altor wrote: »
    That would of been on the older system.

The newer systems have two way detectors, better battery life plus frequency hopping also.
    Have fitted a good few with no real issues to report.

I do remember them mentioning the frequency changing, I liked the idea of that.

With this crowd I'm stuck in the middle, not to sure.

Shop around some more and get more independent advice.
    Pir protection without adequate perimeter protection is useless.

Shop around some more and get more independent advice.
    Pir protection without adequate perimeter protection is useless.

Will do man, I'll keep you in mind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

Most good companies would be recommending good perimeter protection. Where are you located?

I'm based in D15

I do remember them mentioning the frequency changing, I liked the idea of that.

With this crowd I'm stuck in the middle, not to sure.

If they are fitting perimeter protection then there should be no issues with the system.

If they are just going to fit curtain motions, contacts on windows and a few PIRs around you home id be asking questions.

A windows glass pane can be smashed, taking out with no activation from a contact on a window. Only if the window is opened will it show any breach.
    A curtain motion plus standard motion will only activate once the beam is broken meaning the glass is taken out, smashed or window has been opened and they are in at this stage.

In reality this just offers you a false sense of security.

• Advertisement

kucyk wrote: »
    I'm based in D15

Here is a link to the PSA website for alarm installers.

Advertisement