Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of quick tent questions

Options
  • 01-11-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a tent for next year now (thinking might be a good time to pick up a deal).

I know about O'Meara camping in Dublin but are there any other big Irish shops worth checking? Was considering going up to Decathlon in Belfast as I believe they are big and may have good prices.

Also I'm thinking of getting an air frame tent (inflatable) as this will be for festivals etc and weight not so much of an issue. Am I right in thinking they have no flysheet, ie single skin? If so how do they get over the condensation issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Charles Camping in Blessington
    Great Outdoors Off Grafton st Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You could also check out gooutdoors.co.uk - with the price of sterling right now there are some great deals. They do deliver to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Checked Great Outdoors website, limited range but I will call them. Charles looks bit more promising. Gooutdoors looks ok as well but I was told Kampa, Berghaus and Coleman make very good air tents and they don't seem to do them.

Anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

53 Degrees North had a decent selection, mostly Vango, last time I looked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I bought a vango family tent sight unseen from the UK and would recommend this crowd.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/

Postage was reasonable and with sterling low at the moment, I'd be looking to buy from there if I were you. Choose a quality brand like Vango and get a good price on it.

• Advertisement

Chelon wrote: »
    Also I'm thinking of getting an air frame tent (inflatable) as this will be for festivals etc and weight not so much of an issue. Am I right in thinking they have no flysheet, ie single skin? If so how do they get over the condensation issue?

The first part doesn't compute. If weight not an issue why focus on an airframe tent? You can get a tent with poles for much less money even if they are a little heavier. Don't forget with an airframe you also need a pump.

I didn't think airframe tents were single skin. Any I've seen are fly and inner. What size are you looking for?

tbh for festivals I wouldn't be bringing a top dollar tent that could get damaged. If it's for family camping then I would.

Orion wrote: »
    The first part doesn't compute. If weight not an issue why focus on an airframe tent? You can get a tent with poles for much less money even if they are a little heavier. Don't forget with an airframe you also need a pump.

I didn't think airframe tents were single skin. Any I've seen are fly and inner. What size are you looking for?

tbh for festivals I wouldn't be bringing a top dollar tent that could get damaged. If it's for family camping then I would.

Good points; I'm no expert but been told the air frames are a breeze to erect and take down. This would be a 4-6 person tent.

Yes for festivals but at the (hopefully) civilised ones. Took an old campervan last time and was very peaceful, I'm hoping the quieter parts of the campsites will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Go outdoors in the uk is very good. They do their own brand of tent called Hi-Gear. The have a few air tents too. They usually do really well in independent user reviews and are priced competitively.
    I've got one of their pole tents and very happy with it. No complaints and its been well used over 2 summers.
    Their shop in Belfast is well worth checking out if you can. They have a huge warehouse with a full range of tents put up for proper viewing, not just their own, most tents on their site are there.
    Have a look here
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/
    for any tent your interested in. All reviews are from forum members and are more trustworthy than what you'll find on shops sites

One other thing to think about,
    My hi gear Kalahari 8 man is big, about 27kgs over 2 bags.
    I can put it up in about 35/40mins from start to fully pegged out. It cost us about €400.
    A similar sized air tent will be at least 5/6 kgs heavier, about double the price and will take maybe 20/25mins to have fully pegged out.
    That's a hell of a lot of extra money, just to save 15/20mins a few times a year.

Thanks, I think gooutdoors in Belfast will be well worth checking, but they only do certain brands. I've seen other cheaper offers on Kampa and the like online but I'd have to buy unseen.

My old decrepit dome tent always seems to be a struggle to erect, especially if alone so was hoping for something a whole lot easier; unless tent pole technology has come on leaps & bounds I still think inflatable could be very good. Could you erect a 4-6 man conventional tent on your own?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I think gooutdoors in Belfast will be well worth checking, but they only do certain brands. I've seen other cheaper offers on Kampa and the like online but I'd have to buy unseen.

My old decrepit dome tent always seems to be a struggle to erect, especially if alone so was hoping for something a whole lot easier; unless tent pole technology has come on leaps & bounds I still think inflatable could be very good. Could you erect a 4-6 man conventional tent on your own?

Look up the halfords Urban Escape Atago 5. We bought one for short trips away and for when just one of us takes the kids. Both myself and my wife can put it up on our own. Last time there wasn't a puff of wind and it took me about 30mins. This is a great tent and can be gotten for about €180, I got mine for €162 in a flash sale.
    For the bigger tent, the Kalahari it would be 2 of us in 35/40mins but its double the size with a lot more guy ropes.

Personally I wouldn't go near Halfords tents. Unreliable and poor quality. Stick with a respected brand that will last longer.

Good points; I'm no expert but been told the air frames are a breeze to erect and take down. This would be a 4-6 person tent.

Yes for festivals but at the (hopefully) civilised ones. Took an old campervan last time and was very peaceful, I'm hoping the quieter parts of the campsites will be similar.
    The Vango Anteus 600 in gooutdoors is an excellent tent. Tunnel so put up in less than 30 mins. One person could actually pitch it. I'm getting a new tent for next season and this is probably the one I'll be getting.

Orion wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't go near Halfords tents. Unreliable and poor quality. Stick with a respected brand that will last longer.

I would have agreed with you this time last year.
    I took a punt on one tho. Its not the highest of quality and it has a few slight flaws but its a lot better than any similar tent that's €50/60 more expensive.
    The urban escape range has a 2 year warranty too, most other brands only have 1 and a lot don't cover the poles.

The Vango does look ok, and has the blackout panels which I also really want.

What about the quick erect tents with the poles built in? I think maybe too small - I've just heard so many good things about the air tents and some on offer can come in as cheap as the Vango

Advertisement