Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holywell Estate Opinions

Options
  • 01-11-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife and I are looking at moving to Holywell in Swords (renting). I've done a search on here and am seeing a good bit of negative opinions on the estate, especially when compared to the other estates in Swords.

Just looking for some feedback on what specifically people don't like about Holywell or why you wouldn't choose to live there.

While it's certainly not the nicest looking estate, from our trips out there it looks like a nice enough place and somewhere we would like to live, but I'd be interested to know more about the place.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Google SBP Hollywell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Google SBP Hollywell.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Google SBP Hollywell.

And that tells you what about the estate and what its like to live in? Nothing! It refers to certain apartments in the estate

Yeah, it's nice to know and all that but I was more looking for opinions on the estate and what it's like to live in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a Holywell Residents Facebook page, that might be of help to you: https://www.facebook.com/holywell.residents/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

peteb2 wrote: »
    And that tells you what about the estate and what its like to live in? Nothing! It refers to certain apartments in the estate

It's not just the apartments. The council done remedial works on their own properties, but there's also questions about the specs of other housing units that are privately owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

conf101 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's nice to know and all that but I was more looking for opinions on the estate and what it's like to live in.

Based on your original post, I thought you were looking for the negative feedback only :pac:

To give you my opinion: I lived in a house in Holywell for over 7 years. If it makes any difference to you, it's on the south side of the estate, which has no road through the middle, unlike the north side of the estate. This means that the only traffic in the estate is residents and visitors, which keeps it nice and relatively quiet.

It's a nice estate full of young families, kids are safe on the streets and play on the greens. The main green on the south side is in the centre of the estate and there are playing fields and tennis courts near the entrance to the estate.

On the north side of the estate there is a shop and the Educate Together school which is excellent.

My advice would be to come over at different times of the day and different days.

In my opinion, the quality of the houses in Holywell matches other houses built during the boom - i.e. mostly sound, but rushed. So over the years I had to do some work on my house, but it would be the same as any other new house over 7 years. Draught seals on the doors, filling small expansion/contraction movement cracks in the plasterboard, decent paint for the inside of the house, etc. Nothing major and nothing structural.

I had three separate families move into the house next door over the years and either they were completely silent the whole time or else the soundproofing is good enough for me to not hear anything.

I work in the city centre. I used to leave for work at 7am and be in work at 7:20/7:25. Swords town centre and the Pavilions is a 20 minute walk, or less than 5 minute drive away. Short drives to Malahide, Portmarnock beach, Sutton beach, Howth.

I'll let others post the negatives - bear in mind though that I've actually lived there and all of the above is my honest opinion.

Thanks m0nsterie. I appreciate the detailed feedback. From checking it out myself I quite like the look of it and a lot of the negative opinions I find on it seem to be related to it being slightly far from the village and not having as many amenities as some of the other Swords estates. Neither of these is a big issue for me, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Lived In Holywell for 5 year until 2012 house facing onto the newly built road, 2 bed terrace.
    Ok so the houses aren't exactly sound proof but found them easy to heat and had no issues in time we lived there. people on our road were friendly, Spar shop expensive but handy and had no real issues with parking.
    We had a positive view of the estate.

size5 wrote: »
    Lived In Holywell for 5 year until 2012 house facing onto the newly built road, 2 bed terrace.
    Ok so the houses aren't exactly sound proof but found them easy to heat and had no issues in time we lived there. people on our road were friendly, Spar shop expensive but handy and had no real issues with parking.
    We had a positive view of the estate.

Thanks for that. Those are the exact houses we're looking at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement