Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with SMS service on internet banking

Options
  • 01-11-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem. I lost my ATM card and logged in online to report it. I decided not to as I needed to update my address before sending out a new one. I followed the procedure online to do this and when it came to the code that I was supposed to recieve, I instead receive a message that says 'We've experienced a problem with your mobile number'.

I have zero cash and I can't afford to take time off work to go to the bank during the day. I tried to add a friend as a payee and then get cash from them after a transfer but when I tried to add them I got the 'problem with your phone number' text again.

It's the same phone number I've always had with BOI and I successfully added a payee on Sunday, so I don't know what the problem is. I phoned the number in the text message and the representative who answered said that the system could be updating. That was yesterday morning, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'd really rather not take 2 hours out of work to visit a bank for something I should be able to handle online, so if there's another solution I'd love to hear it.

Regards,
    Robin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Hi Guys,

I have a serious problem. I lost my ATM card and logged in online to report it. I decided not to as I needed to update my address before sending out a new one. I followed the procedure online to do this and when it came to the code that I was supposed to recieve, I instead receive a message that says 'We've experienced a problem with your mobile number'.

I have zero cash and I can't afford to take time off work to go to the bank during the day. I tried to add a friend as a payee and then get cash from them after a transfer but when I tried to add them I got the 'problem with your phone number' text again.

It's the same phone number I've always had with BOI and I successfully added a payee on Sunday, so I don't know what the problem is. I phoned the number in the text message and the representative who answered said that the system could be updating. That was yesterday morning, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'd really rather not take 2 hours out of work to visit a bank for something I should be able to handle online, so if there's another solution I'd love to hear it.

Regards,
    Robin

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards today.

Sorry to hear you experienced a difficulty adding a payee, apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

It’s not possible to cancel a card online so if you haven’t already please contact a colleague in BOI Direct on 0818365365 and they can cancel this for you, they can also confirm the mobile number we have on file for you.

For more information on changing your address please see here.

Reps are available from 8am to Midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm at the weekend.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Helen

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Hi Guys,

Regards,
    Robin

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards today.

Sorry to hear you experienced a difficulty adding a payee, apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

It’s not possible to cancel a card online so if you haven’t already please contact a colleague in BOI Direct on 0818365365 and they can cancel this for you, they can also confirm the mobile number we have on file for you.

For more information on changing your address please see here.

Reps are available from 8am to Midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm at the weekend.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Helen
    Hi Helen, thanks for the response. I have already called and confirmed my mobile number. They don't seem to know what the problem is, but every time I try to use a service involving a text message, I receive a message to tell me there's a problem with my number. I find this strange as they can text me, but just not the information I require. I think it'd be best to go into a branch and sort it out because I'm getting nowhere with any of the other services.

Hi Helen, thanks for the response. I have already called and confirmed my mobile number. They don't seem to know what the problem is, but every time I try to use a service involving a text message, I receive a message to tell me there's a problem with my number. I find this strange as they can text me, but just not the information I require. I think it'd be best to go into a branch and sort it out because I'm getting nowhere with any of the other services.

Absolutely at my wit's end guys, I have called the customer service line 9 times today at a total cost of 40 euro in credit. Each time they send me a code I can use, each time it doesn't work. Then I was locked out of my internet banking for a half hour. I don't have the energy to call the line again to waste another 5 euro on a call. This has been a dismal display and I'm having to take time out of work tomorrow to go into a branch and sort this out. I feel like a criminal or something. I'm absolutely moving banks after this. How is it possible that a situation like this can come up in 2016. I haven't a penny on me and I have absolutely no access to my account nor can I change my address because I decided to get a new phone. This is absolute insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OP, What mobile provider are you with? Some of the budget providers, known as MVNO's, such as Virginmedia, who "piggy back" on to other mainstream providers, mainly Three, have problems receiving text messages from banks and other companies.  Lycamobile is another one I think.

See this thread for example ... http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

Alun wrote: »
    OP, What mobile provider are you with? Some of the budget providers, known as MVNO's, such as Virginmedia, who "piggy back" on to other mainstream providers, mainly Three, have problems receiving text messages from banks and other companies.  Lycamobile is another one I think.

See this thread for example ... http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

I'm with three. They've got several texts through to me today but the codes don't work. It's cost me a fortune in calls. A real let down all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah sorry, I read it that you weren't receiving the codes at all, rather than them not working.

This has 100% gone too far. I took time out from work today to go to a branch and sort this out. I was polite, composed and friendly. I asked nicely not to be put on to customer service again, and waited on the phone for what I thought was my branch which turned out to be customer service again, so I just hung up. I still have no access to my money, nor have I been able to close my account. What is the story here? How do I retrieve my money? Do I need to summersault backwards off a building and land on a pin point with a tiger on one arm and an elephant on the other? Do you legally own my money? Is there any way that I can take possession of my own funds or are they gone for good? Will I be refunded for all the costs that I have incurred as a result of this situation? I know that last one is a pipe dream, but I sincerely am becoming hungry and would really like some cash that I earned at work last week. Like really, it would be such a boon to be able to get at my own money.

Regards,
    Robin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Robin,

We're very sorry to hear this. Can you please clarify if the codes you are receiving are being provided over the phone by a representative or if you are now receiving these codes by text message? 

Can we also ask if the codes you are receiving are to update your address or to activate the payee?

While you are waiting for this to be resolved, you can apply to change your address in your local branch or by filling out the change of address form here. You can also withdraw cash in branch with valid Photo ID. Please see our branch locator here for cash services in your local branch. 

We're sorry to hear that you also wish to close your account and we do hope that you change your mind, however, if you do wish to close your account you can do this through your local branch in person or by signed written instruction.

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi Robin,

We're very sorry to hear this. Can you please clarify if the codes you are receiving are being provided over the phone by a representative or if you are now receiving these codes by text message? 

Can we also ask if the codes you are receiving are to update your address or to activate the payee?

While you are waiting for this to be resolved, you can apply to change your address in your local branch or by filling out the change of address form here. You can also withdraw cash in branch with valid Photo ID. Please see our branch locator here for cash services in your local branch. 

We're sorry to hear that you also wish to close your account and we do hope that you change your mind, however, if you do wish to close your account you can do this through your local branch in person or by signed written instruction.

Thanks,

Sharon
    Sorry Guys, 

I took all the time I could in the branch today and I can't take any more time off this week. The code I am receiving is for use with the change of address. It was coming from a representative via text that they said they had sent manually but they always return invalid when I use them. The ideal outcome is that my phone can be able to receive these codes again. This would seriously solve all of the issues I am facing. I currently have no way to transfer money or change any of my details and the in-branch help was of no use and just prolonged the suffering and expense so I am reluctant to go back in to be honest.

Thanks for getting back to us Robin. 

We're unsure why the code is coming up invalid for you. If you would like to send us a private message with your full name, the name of your account holding branch and your contact number we will be happy to arrange a call back from a rep to investigate this further for you. 

To send a private message, please click on the link in my signature below.

Sharon

• Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Business hours are coming to a close and there is no resolution in sight. In light of the fact that my request to have my account closed was not entertained I am going to have to investigate legal avenues by which this can be resolved. My situation is desperate and I need to do what is necessary for myself in this regard. I'm sorry this situation has developed to this point.

Regards,
    Robin

Hi Robin,

We have replied to your private message. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Advertisement