Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long lasting nail polish

Options
  • 01-11-2016 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

ok so am on the hunt for decent lasting normal nail polish, don't want the gel ones where you have to buy separate top coat. I am using NYC but it chips in less than a day. Barry M similar. I like the flat big brushes to apply like Rimmel used to do but it's all the gel range they do now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Out of my collection I find my Sally Hansen and OPI polishes last the best! Not sure where you can get OPI apart from the airport here? But Sally Hansen you can get in most chemists I would say! A good top coat is key aswell but those 2 ranges seem to last the few days at least before they chip (mind you I wouldn't be taking care of them too well so they go through a tough time :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I love the Seche Vite Fast top coat, it really helps the polish to last and has an excellent finish.

I use Essie myself, I used to but lots of cheaper polishes bit rarely used them, and at 10e it's not too expensive if you actually get much use from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

thanks guys, I was looking for a budget brand too but prob too much to ask

I think your best bet is to invest in a good quality top coat, it will make all your polishes last longer! I always liked Barry M myself, but I prefer the shade range of Essie (which I'd consider mid range rather then high end).

Also avoid minis, like you get in TKMaxX sets, the brushes are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I really think it comes down to prepping your nails properly and having a good base and top coat. I get about a week out of nail polish before the tips start to wear, regardless if it's a cheapy from Penneys or something dearer like Butter London or Essie.

I think the Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Nail Strengthener is a great base coat and I LOVE the Seche Vite top coat.

I always wear rubber gloves if washing dishes etc. and actually wear disposable gloves when washing my hair :p

• Advertisement

I use Seche Vite top coat aswell :D totally worth the price! (15euro or something but I've had mine ages and use it loads!)
    Sally Hansen regular polish is showing up as 8.99 on boots.ie, so not dear, and its a big bottle!

I used to use Sally Hansen hard as nails and it actually made my nails start peeling and splitting! Its the only thing I can put it down to as it was the only thing I changed in my routine! :(

Valentina wrote: »
    I really think it comes down to prepping your nails properly and having a good base and top coat. I get about a week out of nail polish before the tips start to wear, regardless if it's a cheapy from Penneys or something dearer like Butter London or Essie.

I think the Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Nail Strengthener is a great base coat and I LOVE the Seche Vite top coat.

I always wear rubber gloves if washing dishes etc. and actually wear disposable gloves when washing my hair :p
    What base coat do you use Valentina? I use an essie one right now, but if I use cheapie polish they will chip within a few days (saying that I don't mind them like you do, so may just be me battering the sh*te out of them:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Try Wet n Wild. You can get them in Dunnes and Penneys, think they are like €3 or something. I'm very hard on my nails, I work in an office so computer, paper and files wear at the nails. Also I can't be ar$ed with rubber gloves when doing the housework. I put on 2 coats last Thurs and only chipped last night after a day in work and cleaning the house last night.

The other budget nail polishes I would recommend are Rimmel ones, I get a few days out of them. While Catrice and Essense polishes are cheap, they are grand for a day or two and then chip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

GingerLily wrote: »
    I think your best bet is to invest in a good quality top coat, it will make all your polishes last longer!

Have to agree!
    I swear by the essence gel base and top coat, only 1.39/1.49 each and in all penneys. For colour, I use any ol cheap stuff (NYC, dealz nail varnish, catrice etc).
    I would get about a week from them, and the top coat dries much faster than most nail varnishes!
    I have been told my nails look like gel and shellac! (and for only a fraction of the price! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I must say after testing a few nailpolisihes I find the Rimmel 60 Seconds super shine the best.. Both for not staining your own nails, and for lasting.. Im always cleaning and have done the test with this one and it stays put.. Good coverage also you do not need to put layers on.. Dont confuse it with the Kate Moss faced one as that is horrible stains the nails very badly

• Advertisement

mcgiggles wrote: »
    What base coat do you use Valentina? I use an essie one right now, but if I use cheapie polish they will chip within a few days (saying that I don't mind them like you do, so may just be me battering the sh*te out of them:D)

At the moment I'm using Sally Hansen Hard As Nails as a base coat. My nails are not great, they break as soon as they get any length but using this seems to make them tougher.

My all time favourite base coat is CND Stickey Base Coat. I have gotten it in salon supply stores or else online. I do think it helps the polish really 'stick' to the nail.

Another one I find good is Nails Inc Harley Street Base Coat and the Nails Inc Kensington Top Coat is quite good; gives a glossy finish and dries quickly. Seche Vite is still better though!

Just wanted to mention, anyone using the Seche Vite top coat, make sure you 'pull' the polish down over the free edge of your nail. The top coat sort of shrinks as it dries so if you don't cover the edge you'll have a weak point for chipping or letting moisture in.

At the moment I'm using Sally Hansen Hard As Nails as a base coat. My nails are not great, they break as soon as they get any length but using this seems to make them tougher.

My all time favourite base coat is CND Stickey Base Coat. I have gotten it in salon supply stores or else online. I do think it helps the polish really 'stick' to the nail.

Another one I find good is Nails Inc Harley Street Base Coat and the Nails Inc Kensington Top Coat is quite good; gives a glossy finish and dries quickly. Seche Vite is still better though!

Just wanted to mention, anyone using the Seche Vite top coat, make sure you 'pull' the polish down over the free edge of your nail. The top coat sort of shrinks as it dries so if you don't cover the edge you'll have a weak point for chipping or letting moisture in.
    Yeah I was using it as a base coat too unfortunately it must not suit my nails or something. Cool thanks will check them out :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I use the catrice gel bottom and top coat with their polishes and think they're brilliant, when used together I get 4-5 days out of it and even then they don't tend to chip just wear a bit at the tips. And they're really shiny and dry fast. I much prefer these to my opi and Essie ones now. I think they're €2.95/€3.95. Can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

thanks everyone some good reccs there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Essie, I will get almost 2 weeks out of an Essie.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Where could i get a good shiny top coat?:)

Gal44 wrote: »
    Where could i get a good shiny top coat?:)

Seche Vite gives a super shiny, gel nail like finish. It's quick drying and self-levelling so gives a perfect, even look. You can get it in Boots.

Seche Vite gives a super shiny, gel nail like finish. It's quick drying and self-levelling so gives a perfect, even look. You can get it in Boots.

This stuff is amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I got an expression mani done in Nails in Arnotts last Friday. I opted for the Essie long lasting Polish (not a gel polish) and have to say I'm very impressed. Have the slightest of chips on one nail today, but it is barely noticeable.
    I am quite hard on my nails. The last time I had this mani done with the Vinylux CND Polish, it didn't even last the full weekend.

Details of the Polish are here:
    http://www.essie.com/gel-couture.aspx

Advertisement