Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician

Options
  • 01-11-2016 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Need a small job on a dodgy socket in my house but Electricians are talking weeks to fix it. Anyone have a number of a good Electrician who needs a few yoyyos fast be greatly appreciated. Cork City btw thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What's the issue. Easy enough job to replace a socket if you can isolate the circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

mordeith wrote: »
    What's the issue. Easy enough job to replace a socket if you can isolate the circuit.

Found a nice chap who will look after me. Two gentlemen told me it's a 4k job because my house is over 40 years old. Even with a relatively new circuit breaker board from the same guy who raised the old socket in the room adjacent. Go figure.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Found a nice chap who will look after me. Two gentlemen told me it's a 4k job because my house is over 40 years old. Even with a relatively new circuit breaker board from the same guy who raised the old socket in the room adjacent. Go figure.

Issues wouldn't be with the fuse box it would be the old wiring and earthing or lack there of!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Issues wouldn't be with the fuse box it would be the old wiring and earthing or lack there of!

All the sockets in this house are on the skirting boards the last Electrician raised the one in the adjacent room to a proper height adding a new twin socket. I mean no issues were involved or talk of complete rewiring it was done 4 years old and my house isn't a medieval castle. Any advice would be appreciated because the Electrician calling sees no rewiring issues?

• Advertisement

All the sockets in this house are on the skirting boards the last Electrician raised the one in the adjacent room to a proper height adding a new twin socket. I mean no issues were involved or talk of complete rewiring it was done 4 years old and my house isn't a medieval castle. Any advice would be appreciated because the Electrician calling sees no rewiring issues?
    I am an electrician and 40 year old house with sockets on the skirting sounds like a 4K job approx and a complete rewire.sockets on the skirting are a MAJOR fire risk.

I am an electrician and 40 year old house with sockets on the skirting sounds like a 4K job approx and a complete rewire.sockets on the skirting are a MAJOR fire risk.

OK well that's put me well off my dinner thanks..

OK well that's put me well off my dinner thanks..

I'm only telling you the truth not trying to scare you. When houses were built and wired 40 years ago most were wired for one single socket in each room on the skirting board and that was it. I've just wired my 4 year old daughters bedroom in our new house and she has 6 twin sockets. Big difference. The mains cables for houses 40 years ago were calculated with the cooker being the only heavy drawing appliance. Also earthing has come a long long way since that incident were the girl was electrocuted in the bath.

The list I sent you of contractors pick 2/3 of them at random or people close to you and ask them to come look at the work and see what the consensus is.

I'm only telling you the truth not trying to scare you. When houses were built and wired 40 years ago most were wired for one single socket in each room on the skirting board and that was it. I've just wired my 4 year old daughters bedroom in our new house and she has 6 twin sockets. Big difference. The mains cables for houses 40 years ago were calculated with the cooker being the only heavy drawing appliance. Also earthing has come a long long way since that incident were the girl was electrocuted in the bath.

The list I sent you of contractors pick 2/3 of them at random or people close to you and ask them to come look at the work and see what the consensus is.

Fair enough thanks for the advice.

Did you get a second opinion on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zidac

why can't you raise all the sockets? is this ground floor as i never seen sockets in skirting.

Advertisement