Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid on owner occupied property (talking to them?)

Options
  • 01-11-2016 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

There's an owner occupied apartment I'm interested in. Bidding process has started. I wonder is it a good idea to knock on the door and talk to the owner? I think she still lives there. What kind of questions are appropriate to ask? (How do you find living here? Nice property you've got.)

I can't think any more questions, just to have some talk with her in order to have more infos on the story.

Because this bidding thing with those you've not seen a bit weird to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think this is a bad idea; you're most likely to piss off both the owner and the agent.

If you want to meet the owner, arrange it after you sign contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

No its, not a good idea , The agent is there to deal with bids ,
    all bids go through him,
    everyone is equal and free to make a bid ,going direct to the owner is like saying screw the agent i don,t need no bidding process .
    Let the agent get on with his job.look at rte program Find me a home ,
    The Whole bidding process is well presented there .
    sometimes people make a bid and drop out ,
    change their minds ,and someone else gets the house .
    You would not get into a taxi and say can i drive the car for a while ,
    i know the routes better than you .
    most owners do not wish the bidder until the final bid goes through and the contract is signed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Also it's in the owners best interest to get the highest bid so of course they will tell you how amazing the place is and you should definetly buy it. You can't exactly believe everything they say

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Also it's in the owners best interest to get the highest bid so of course they will tell you how amazing the place is and you should definetly buy it. You can't exactly believe everything they say
    It's more often the case that the owner will draw attention to problems, or at least respond honestly to questions, because they love their home despite its flaws. God forbid!

EAs are professional liars.

The point of paying an estate agent is you don,t have to talk to bidders.
    if you Bid on a house you can ask detailed questions or even get a full
    survey IF your bid is accepted .you can get a lot of info by looking around,
    how old is the house, whats the ber rating,
    its hard to hide major faults in a house .
    Is the kitchen old,new ,etc what type of heating system does it use.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If you were introduced to the house by the agent, it will be part of the terms and conditions that all negotiations are conducted through her. Some owners my get annoyed at being doorstopped by a potential purchaser and may instruct the agent not to deal with that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Not a good idea. I was messaged on FB by an old school acquaintance who wanted to buy my house for the asking price but EA had told them there were higher offers in.
    It put me in an awkward position and really pissed the EA off, I really wouldn't recommend it.

padyjoe wrote: »

Because this bidding thing with those you've not seen a bit weird to me.

The owner might find it a bit creepy, even scary if somebody she doesn't know doorsteps her asking about her house....

Bad idea.

WE have a bidding process let it go on until a final bid is accepted ,
    and this process is handled by the estate agent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thank you folks! Bad idea then. It's no harm to ask question in order to get answers from the more experienced. I stick to the standard process and see how it goes. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

sullivk wrote: »
    Not a good idea. I was messaged on FB by an old school acquaintance who wanted to buy my house for the asking price but EA had told them there were higher offers in.
    It put me in an awkward position and really pissed the EA off, I really wouldn't recommend it.

Not sure why it puts you in an awkward position.

They hardly expected you to sell it for less. I'm assuming they were just paranoid about the EA like so many people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

maximum12 wrote:
    Not sure why it puts you in an awkward position.

maximum12 wrote:
    They hardly expected you to sell it for less. I'm assuming they were just paranoid about the EA like so many people on here.

EA told him there was a higher offer in but apparently the asking price was his limit and he wanted me to consider conducting a private sale with him. I just found it a bit awkward really.
    I didn't want to have to deal with potential buyers personally, hence the reason for engaging an EA. And if someone called to my door I would not be impressed!

sullivk wrote: »
    EA told him there was a higher offer in but apparently the asking price was his limit and he wanted me to consider conducting a private sale with him.

The type of person who suggests you do a deal to shaft the EA will have no reservations about shafting you later in the process...

Advertisement