Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles have fallen off Bathroom wall of rented property. Who's job is it to fix it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

pilly wrote: »
    OP stated that the guest admitted he was at fault

No he didn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Chef Tony wrote: »
    I'm a student living with 4 others. A few days ago a friend was over in the house and leaned on the bathroom sink causing it to lean forward and 2 of the tiles above it fall off. He called us in and as we attempted to put them back on, more and more fell off until a total of about 20 or so fell, some of them breaking. He apoligised and bought new tiles and adhesive to fix them. We were originally going to fix the job ourselves but we are now concerned that once we start touching it, it will just get more damaged, and more tiles will fall off.

Will we have to pay for all repairs as it was caused by carelessness, despite is being a very poorly done job to begin with? Is it our responsibility to call a tiler to repair it or should we just contact the landlord?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but it is our first time being tenants.

See above Graham.

See above Graham.

I've read the posts and they suggest the guest was apologetic and felt guilty about the damage. The OP feels it was carelessness combined with the originally poor state of the tiling.

If someone could explain to me the reasons for leaning on a sink I might understand this. :-))

If someone could explain to me the reasons for leaning on a sink I might understand this. :-))

Does it really make a difference?

Assuming we take 'leaning' at face value and not interpret it to mean sitting/riding/sleeping on it, it shouldn't come away from the wall if it is properly secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

TheDoc wrote: »
    If OP is being genuine with the story, and the guest wasn't lamping some girl on the sink, .

oh i spat my tea out at that lol.Thanks for the laugh. sorry for off topic :D:D:D

oh i spat my tea out at that lol.Thanks for the laugh. sorry for off topic :D:D:D

It was exactly what I was thinking and didn't want to say. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Blu Tac. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

endacl wrote: »
    Blu Tac. Be grand.

Mod: helpful posts please. This isn't After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Did the OP say it was losely mounted ?

Is this some kind of grilling interview?
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I put one hand on my sink and lean while I brush my teeth. That would be the most common one I'd do and I do it every day. Not a bother.

There would also be periods where I'd have both hands on the sink, leaning forward looking in the mirror, questioning what I'm doing with my life.

That is some pretty heavy **** and the bathroom doesn't collapse around me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

TheDoc wrote: »
    Where are you getting this "guest pulled it of the wall".

OP said he leaned on it, like so many people do on sinks, and started leaning off the wall.

If the OP filled up the sink with water, and it happened, is the tenant "gas" for having the audacity to use a sink as intended?

they pulled it off the wall by leaning on it. tenants pay end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

they pulled it off the wall by leaning on it. tenants pay end of story

Not end of story in the slightest. Tiles should not fall off the wall, nor should sinks. I would check that the wall isn't ruined with rot causing the tiles and sink to become loose.

Not end of story in the slightest. Tiles should not fall off the wall, nor should sinks. I would check that the wall isn't ruined with rot causing the tiles and sink to become loose.
    OP doesnt mention an issue with said sink or tiling before the guest moved it off the wall. Any sink will come off if you put to much weight on it. Tenants will pay for the damage theres reason to pretend other wise

OP doesnt mention an issue with said sink or tiling before the guest moved it off the wall. Any sink will come off if you put to much weight on it. Tenants will pay for the damage theres reason to pretend other wise

The op also didn't mention the guest leaping on the sink, merely leaning on it. Given that tiles also fell off the wall, which they shouldn't, it is possible there is an issue with the wall.

The op also didn't mention the guest leaping on the sink, merely leaning on it. Given that tiles also fell off the wall, which they shouldn't, it is possible there is an issue with the wall.

In fairness a guest just wouldnt say that. .. I would assume the property is not a new build and that the sink has had thousands of visits without incident before... why ? The landlord will not pay for this

In fairness a guest just wouldnt say that. .. I would assume the property is not a new build and that the sink has had thousands of visits without incident before... why ? The landlord will not pay for this

The guest wrecking the sink doesn't explain the tiles falling off. Tiles won't just fall off unless there is an underlying issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We all know what assuming does. Without the full facts from the OP we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

This is why you have parties in other peoples houses.!! Tbh they sound like they trying to do the right thing & are good honest people & a decent landlord will appreciate that. I'd call him & let hime know because there is nothing as bad as a bad tiling job and if s/he will notice random new and off-matching tiles when it comes to the deposit check/house review.

Tbh if the sink rocks when you touch it & was like that pre-lean than this is a landlord issue thT should have alteady been addressed - if the tiles were so loosely stuck on with so little paste that they all cascaded off and smashed this might be of interest to the landlord who probably didn't know how slipshod a job his previous tiler (or students!) did!

My first thought was party gone pearshaped and my next one was loose sink and damp wall. If it was me I wouldn't go al legalistic on the landlord but would give him/her a call and explain & say you'd bought adhesive but some tiles were broken & could s/he come round & have a look & see what sution you can agree. S/he can't agree anything without seeing and a rocking sink would be the greater concern - sinks if they fall and smash - now they ARE expensive to fix. If I was talking to the LL the only part of the story I might edit is the friend and why he was leaning on the sink. Please din't tell me he was using it as a seat/toilet :0

greendom wrote: »

We all know what assuming does. Without the full facts from the OP we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

Going on what the OP has said the tenants will be paying

• Advertisement

Going on what the OP has said the tenants will be paying

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure you meant it the first 27 times. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

Just a late update to let you lot know what happened. I appreciate all the comments, really didn't think it would cause such a discussion but was interesting to see just how much peoples opinions differed on the matter.

We ended up calling over a tiler to take a look at the wall, straight away he said that it wasn't our friends fault. The wall is water damaged causing all the tiles to be loose and pretty much ready to drop, he tapped a few of the tiles to highlight the hollow sound it produced, meaning they are water damaged and have to go. To make matters worse, the sink that my friend leaned on, was simply plastered onto the wall, no screws or hangs to keep it in place which the tiler stated are necessary. So not only was the sink simply plastered onto the wall, but it was water damaged, weak plaster.

We contacted the landlord and he has admitted full responsibility after hearing what the tiler had said about the bathroom, with no money taken from our deposits or anything like that. So thats pretty much it, thanks again for all the advice.

Chef Tony wrote: »
    We contacted the landlord and he has admitted full responsibility after hearing what the tiler had said about the bathroom, with no money taken from our deposits or anything like that. So thats pretty much it, thanks again for all the advice.

Excellent news, good to hear it all worked out for you especially when you were trying to do the right thing from the start.

Sounds like you've got yourself a decent landlord too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement