Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Apple?

• 01-11-2016 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this thread already exists, but I couldnt find it.
    Currently am using a Sony Xperia Z2 and am looking to get a new phone. It's only recently I have done a huge amount of research into the smartphone space. Now, I have always used an android device, the Z2, is actually the first "flagship" device I've used. I've looked at the s7 from Three for €570 and the iphone 7 128gb for €850.

My question is why do people choose Apple devices? The S7 charges much quicker, the display resolution is higher and the display tech used is arguably superior (AMOLED vs LCD), higher IP rating and micro sd expansion, NFC. Do not get me wrong, I am not an "Android fanboy", I would like to try an iPhone but am concerned if I will not enjoy it or not get my value for money. I'm just curious as to why iPhones are so popular, maybe I am overlooking something.

Would appreciate any advice or info from iPhone users.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Personal preference.

I hate Android OS. I've tried multiple different devices and flavours, and I just really dislike it. It could be on the greatest technical marvel since the first flight and I'd prefer a dumb phone over it.

And I know this might sound really stupid, but there's a photo app I use which is only available on iOs and I use it far too much to not have it on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Personal preference.

I hate Android OS. I've tried multiple different devices and flavours, and I just really dislike it. It could be on the greatest technical marvel since the first flight and I'd prefer a dumb phone over it.

And I know this might sound really stupid, but there's a photo app I use which is only available on iOs and I use it far too much to not have it on my phone.

Do you mind me asking, do you use a plus model or the standard variant?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Some stock reasons for why Apple, specifically the iPhone, are better: Better user interface, better hardware design, better App Store, better resale value, better security/privacy, no bloatware, no delayed software updates.

Apple have never done "the my specs are bigger than your specs" thing that the PC industry and early mobile phone industry was dominated by. Their focus is on the overall user experience and meaningful features that everyone can use and enjoy. Their goal is simplicity or "it just works". I used to say about the Mac that it basically sold itself. No advertising necessary. All you had to do was spend 30 minutes using one and you'd be sold.

Their products aren't for everyone, though. Lots of users don't care about how thin or light their device or how the good the OS is. They just want powerful hardware for a cheap price that they can tweak to their liking. There's also a lot of hidden complexity in Apple products so when they fail they fail bad.

My best advice is to go use an iPhone and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Do you mind me asking, do you use a plus model or the standard variant?

I currently have a regular 6. I might upgrade to a 7 Plus next year if/when funds allow, and get rid of my iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm just curious as to why iPhones are so popular, maybe I am overlooking something.

10% consistency/usability, 90% better marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

ED E wrote: »

The marketing thing is not true. Samsung alone outspends Apple. Never mind all the other android manufacturers. I rarely see Apple ads as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The marketing thing is not true. Samsung alone outspends Apple. Never mind all the other android manufacturers. I rarely see Apple ads as it happens.

He said better marketing, not more expenditure on marketing. Spending more money on ads doesn't guarantee people will buy product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

He said better marketing, not more expenditure on marketing. Spending more money on ads doesn't guarantee people will buy product.

It's no the advertising. That's the android fans excuse. I honestly think I've never seen an Apple ad, not since the days of the iPod anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Because Android is a sh1t OS. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

I have several times tried to move to a Galaxy Note 4 I have here (it does have a better screen and some very good features)- but I find the IPhone UI much easier and pleasant to use so always go back.

There are several more clicks to find the app I want in a sea of ugly random icons on the android.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

It's no the advertising. That's the android fans excuse. I honestly think I've never seen an Apple ad, not since the days of the iPod anyway.

Everyone knows it's just Jony Ives. Whatever it is about how he explains it I can't not get hyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I got my first iPhone back in March, a 64Gb iPhone SE. I had been Android since day one and I just wanted a change. My last Android phone was a Sony Z1 Xperia which was great but the 5" size was just a little too big in hindsight. I wanted to revert back to a small handset as I have a laptop (MacBook Pro) and a small 7" tablet. No need for a big phone.

Now that I've had it a few months I just can't see myself going back to Android....not anytime soon anyway. Plus it works well with my MacBook.

Each to their though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I currently have a regular 6. I might upgrade to a 7 Plus next year if/when funds allow, and get rid of my iPad.
    I'd never gate my beloved ipad; without doubt the best techie purchase I've ever made. Love my iphone too, but it'll never replace the ipad for slouch couch browsing & bobby HD ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, for the sake of balance here, I have both an iPhone 7, previously an iPhone 6 before that. That's my work phone.
    My personal phone is currently a Galaxy S7, previously a Nexus 5X before that.
    For reference, I also use a Mac for work, and a PC for personal use as it's better for gaming, simple fact right there.

Ignoring the whole x OS is shít vs advertising methods as much as possible. So I'll try and give a bit of a pro's and con's.

I'm not going to mention the camera, it complete and utter honesty both cameras are about on par with eachother. At this point it's a pointless debate.

iPhone
    Pros:
    1. It's bloody gorgeous. In terms of how it's actually designed and manufactured, it's fantastic and gorgeous piece of technology.
    2. Very safe and secure. If your browse safely, then you should never really have an issue. For reference, yes you can get forms of Malware on Safari, but that can easily be sorted out by clearing the history.
    3. App Store, iTunes and Apple Music all in one. This is extremely handy, and whilst Android devices have their own versions, the selection isn't quite as good.
    4. Smooth and simple OS and UI.
    5. iCloud and iTunes backups. iTunes is a very very handy backup method, especially if you have a lot of content.
    iCloud itself is very handy for syncing your data across devices. It's also a decent backup tool.
    6. Updates for years.
    7. The App Store. The selection of games is considerably better, Monument alone practically makes it worth it.

Cons:
    1. It's a bit, well, boring I guess. My personal downside to the iPhone is the lack of any real customization you can do on the layout. Sure, you can change the wallpaper, but there is no changing the layout of icons. I'm very minimalist, so this can be a bit annoying.
    2. Too much get's done through iTunes. If you want to download a custom ringtone, say through an app like Zedge. You can't just set it as ringtone and move on. It has to go through iTunes.
    3. Expandable storage. iPhone storage is it. You can pay an additional €100+ to get more storage on the device, but frankly it's an absolute rip off to do so. The plus side is that iPhone 7 comes as 32GB standard.
    4. Updates are prone to causing issues with older models. Of course if you buy an iPhone 7, that won't be an issue for 4 years or so.

Android
    Android is one that depends heavily on the brand you purchase. Right now, your best choices are Samsung, Huawei and Google. For the sake of this, I'll stick to the Samsungs.

Pros:
    1. Customizing it is extremely simple. A simple app like Zedge allows you to download ringtones, wallpapers, notifications and so on.
    2. Cheaper. Typically speaking, most high end Android phones are cheaper than the iPhone. You are in all honesty, paying that bit more for Apple because of the name.
    For example, the 32gb iPhone 7 will cost you €779 and a 32gb Galaxy S7 will cost €569. That's more than €200 in the difference.
    3. Screen is gorgeous. It's a better screen, quite simply put. Thats not to say the iPhone screen is in any way a bad screen, but the Samsung screen is much nicer and brighter.
    4. Battery life is considerably better. I can easily go about two days with my Samsung without needing to charge it. My iPhone on the other hand just about makes the day, and they have similar usage.
    5. It has a freaking audio jack. Y'know what, I like having an audio jack and not needing a dongle. There, I said it.

Cons:
    1. Less system/OS security updates. This is the biggest downside to Android. Google only provides something like two years of updates for it's devices, and sadly manufacturers seem to give less. It's an awkward and outdated system.
    2. No real backup system. Yes there is the likes of Google Photos which is basically a free storage for -all- of your photos. Syncing contacts to your GMail account can be done, as can notes on the likes of Google Keep.
    However, there is no way of "physically" backing up your device like iTunes, this can be a bit of a downer. (Ignore Samsung Kies, it's crap).
    3. Bloatware is an issue. Android devices are a hell of a lot more prone to having bloatware on them, whether it's Samsungs own crappy App Store or a bunch of Vodafone/Three/Eir apps that take up space and often can't be deleted. This does not happen on iPhones.

In all and complete honesty, it entirely depends on you. If someone tells you iPhones are totally crap, they are either lying or an idiot. However, the same can be said for high end Android phones too.

You're coming from an Xperia Z2, so take in mind if you go for an iPhone 7, you will see a huge drop in screen size which is hard to get used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Thank you to everyone who provided input, especially those who provided detailed replies. I do feel like I definitely should try one before I consider ruling out an iphone altogether. One more question, would you reckon that the s7 is the competitor for the iphone 7, or the s8?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you to everyone who provided input, especially those who provided detailed replies. I do feel like I definitely should try one before I consider ruling out an iphone altogether. One more question, would you reckon that the s7 is the competitor for the iphone 7, or the s8?

Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7 would be in competition with each other imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

kceire wrote: »
    Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7 would be in competition with each other imo

Would the 6s processor wise be the S7 competitor I wonder?

OP for me iOS is the reason I changed. Android has it good points but I just find apps from devs always get the most attention compared to android the main reason most give is its where they make the money so to be fair if you were a dev you'd do it too.

I found even offical Google apps work better most of the time on iOS never mind there home OS of android.

Then there's little niggles say a rouge app might drain an android battery, I'm into my tech so doesn't bother me but you'll rarely get issues that need trouble shooting on iOS. The worst I ever got was an app once cracked on opening and restart sorted it.

Each to their own tho can't stand lads who almost turn each OS into a tribal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

ED E wrote: »

Total nonsense.

If the iphone was a varnish, it would be Ronseal. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

If an android phone was varnish, well, it would be a bit of turpentine and a dash of shellac and a bit of beeswax and a stir of a bit of a stick and hope it all turns out okay in the end after you put the time and money into making it what you think it should be. Results WILL vary.

If you don't mind messing about, fidgeting and tweaking crap yourself to see if you're happy in the end up, most Android phones will do most people just fine.

If you just want to get a good solid performing phone that can be 100% recovered from the cloud if you lose it, it dies, you break it for example, get an iPhone. They're reliable, generally foolproof and give a good user experience overall, without the need to prick about with anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

i have always been an android user , last two phones htc one m8 and samsung s6 , The initial reason I changed to an iphone was size , i have artritis in my hand and could not handle the bigger size with comfort ,
    I bought a iphone 6s 64gb which just hits the sweet spot size wise and I have to say I wont be going back ,
    my iphone experience has been flawless , no problems whatsoever ,and no bloatware on the iphone is a huge plus , the m8 and the s6 had to be rooted to get rid of some of the pre installed crap
    I miss a file manager but to be honest thats not a big issue .

Advertisement