Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring advice.

Options
  • 01-11-2016 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

My home is over 40 years old. A socket is gone upstairs and needs fixing. All the sockets are ground level on the skirting board but a Electrician came maybe 4/5 years ago put a new circuit board and raised and fitted a new double socket in the room adjacent to the broken socket one. Now I have been told the whole house needs rewiring at an expensive cost is this really needed? Surely if it can be done 4 years ago and work flawlessly I don't need to spend thousands?Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unfortunately it is impossible to assess without seeing it first hand.

If your house has not been required in 40 years most likely a rewire is long overdue. The fact that you had a new distribution board installed not so long ago may reduce the cost.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

My mum and dads house was wired 40yrs ago in t&e and doesn't need a rewire. The fuse board was replaced a while back though.

As 2011 said there's no way of knowing without an inspection but phone around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Grand have got 2 Electricians calling back in a few days both seem optimistic that the job can be done without the need of full rewiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mrplod

I would agree that it's impossible to assess from here. You should get a periodic inspection report carried out. That will outline clearly the state of the electrical installation

Advertisement