Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Newspapers, Lord give me strength...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick but what's so wrong with that apart from the word 'use' when it really should say 'possess'?

Anybody having issues really means "anyone who hasn't bothered yet".

It's not that bad really. Could be better worded but it's just a reminder to renew your firearms licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Don't see too much wrong with that tbh.

That picture is of a Swedish Mauser probably in 6.5x55 SE I'd say which are licenced here so no need for alarm over it's use I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Its just that the chances of the local Gardai leaving it to your own conscience to decide whether to licence your gun is laughable.
    The Sargent would be on the phone to remind you within a few weeks of renewal date, and leave it on the long finger for another few weeks and you will be on the wrong end of conversation along the line of "I'm not interested in why you haven't paid, if its not on the system by Monday, I will be out and I'll take it off you"
    And as the piece is timed to coincide with the start of pheasant season, showing a center fire rifle demonstrates the lack of basic knowledge of the Editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It rather makes it sound like the Gardai are powerless to do anything about it; as opposed to the reality which is that they're legally empowered (and I'm pretty sure are technically compelled) to enforce the Act as written, which would mean arrests for those whose paperwork isn't in order. That gives the average Joe Public a rather uneasy feeling about what in reality is one of the most controlled things in modern Irish life that has an impact on public safety.

Which does us no favours in the long run, and which is an editorial decision.

Advertisement