Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

washing machine fire

• 01-11-2016 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I came home this saturday just in time to stop my washing machine going on fire. It was spinning like a mademan and smoke was coming out the back of it.When I opened the door after switching off the main power, it belched smoke and the rubber in the door had melted ( se picture). it's a 6 month old Beko machine..anyone have anything like this happen to them with a Beko?

Comments

It looks like the programme got "stuck" on fast spin for some reason and friction cause the seal to overheat.
    It must have been bone dry for the rubber to heat up like that!
    You should check the warranty as well.

Good username btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There were recalls for the Beko tumble dryers but not the washing machines. Contact them to see what they say, should be a free replacement I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The drum looks very scratched for a 6 months old machine :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I think that's just the picture but I do have a few sweater with long zippers which might be the reason? I wash a lot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Very hard to determine from the picture what has gone wrong but it looks like it has heated without water, the heating element should have a built in thermal cut out to prevent a fire but once the gasket distorts it will rub off the drum and the friction when the drum goes into spin will cause it billow smoke but I have never see them go on fire. that scenario happens when one of the arms of the shaft assembly disintegrates. get it seen to by Beko service.( if the element is open circuit when checked it would definitely have heated without water)

• Advertisement

I did have the dishwasher on at the same time. A colleague mention to me she had a friend happening the same (but the washer did actually catch fire) but fire department said it could have been because there were 2 machines on demanding water and the pressure couldn't keep up.Odd though I had those 2 switched in together numerous times...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

having two machines running at the same time wouldn't matter, if it heated without water it would be down to a switching problem within the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

You'd be surprised at how many tumblers, washing machines go on fire. I wouldn't leave one running unattended that's for sure.

and I certainly will not ever again. Almost thoughtlessly reached fro my dishwasher this morning to switch on and than I looked at the washing machine and walked away from the dishwasher.It's such an automatism to switch the things on before you leave in the morning or at night.

Advertisement