Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network switch question

Options
  • 01-11-2016 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have just finished converting an outbuilding to an office. I have a 40m run of shielded cat6 cable running between the house and the office. My ISP's DSL modem/router is in the house. In the office I have an 8 port gigabit switch to which is connected the 40m cable to the router in the house, my PC and a NAS device.

My question is this - when I transfer files between my NAS and my PC in the office - are the comms going back to the router in the house or do the communications happen via the switch. Another way of putting this question is: will the single cat6 link to the house limit the speed of connections between devices in my office connected via the switch?

If the answer is yes, what do I need to do to make sure devices in the office can communicate between themselves locally? Use a router? If I need to use a router in the office - can it be set up so that it is on the same network as devices in the house?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The devices are part of the same network (192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2..) so they can communicate without routing(which is done where networks meet). As such all you're doing is switching. PC A talking to PC B in the Office goes in and out of the same switch, the router doesnt need to know.

If the 40M run was replaced with a wireless one you might be concerned with broadcast domains where messages sent to everyone would be travelling down that link and cause problems but with a 1Gb Full Duplex link its nothing to worry about (0.01% load).

You're all fine. The only thing you might want to add is a wireless access point in the office if not already present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks ED for your very clear and helpful reply.

Yeah - gonna add a wireless point eventually.

Cheers

Advertisement