Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing washing

Options
  • 01-11-2016 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I came home this saturday just in time to stop my washing machine going on fire. It was spinning like a mademan and smoke was coming out the back of it.When I opened the door after switching off the main power, it belched smoke and the rubber in the door had melted ( see picture). it's a 6 month old Beko machine and it still has warranty/ guarantee.
    I have informed LL (well his son as I am being told not to contact hte LL as he is very ill - so I am dealing with a (very) reluctant landlord now who hasn't even given me a different email address to contact)..anyway, son told me he was in touch with the supplier of the washing machine who would get in touch with the manufacturer who would get in touch with me...and meanwhile, i don't have a washing machine.
    Any idea how much time I should give them? At what point do i need to put pressure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Nobody should have to contact the manufacturer. If it's under warranty it should be the retailer that sorts repair or replacement.

When we had a problem with our machine, the shop had an engineer out in a few days. Think it was within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Consumer protections only apply to consumers, landlords are business people, so they don't get the same level of protection.

I'd give the landlord or their agent( the son) a week to have a replacement washing machine installed. So I'd file a complaint on Sunday morning to the prtb if not resolved by then.

I wouldn't entertain manufacturer/retailer buck passing. The Landlord has to maintain a minimum standard of appliance in your home. if they have to buy a second machine while the original one is being inspected, so be it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I agree, a week to ten days is enough time for him to resolve this. You need to get your washing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Thank you. I'm just a bit wary because LL (the father) needs a double bypass and son keeps telling me not to bother them or upset the father. I already felt guilty having to contact them with this as I knew it would upset the father. The last machine had to be replaced because the filter broke and the manufacturer of the machine / spareparts supplier were both in receivership and I got a lot of hassle from them wanting me to pay 50% of the new machine.And now he's really ill.It's just they are trying to blame me if he gets upset and it feels really wrong.

Bit unfair to lay the guilt on you. I wonder would he give you the retailer details and you could chase them up yourself. Make it out like you're trying to save him hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Having worked with a washing machine repair man years ago, I would advise you wipe out the drum before you get it looked at.
    He will probably say you overloaded it with dog bedding, and the weight caused the rubber to melt against the drum.
    That would void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Consumer protections only apply to consumers, landlords are business people, so they don't get the same level of protection....
    While that is technically correct, most suppliers of domestic white goods would not distinguish between a sale to a small landlord and a householder. They will almost certainly give the same service to both.

OP, your landlord's son is apparently not too enthusiastic about his new responsibilities, and he is probably also quite concerned about his father's health. I suggest that you try to get him on the phone, speak kindly to him, and ask if you can make things easier for him by speaking on his/his father's behalf to the supplier of the machine.

I was once in a position similar to your landlord's son, and had to deal with a dead washing machine (which I accepted as fair wear and tear, because it was a few years old). I was away at the time, and could not deal with things immediately. I thought it reasonable to allow the tenant the cost of having laundry done for the two weeks it took me to source a machine and have it installed. He claimed only €15 for a family of 6. I asked why it was so little, and he said that they had done some washes in their friends' machines. Goodwill is a two-way street.

alf66 wrote: »
    Having worked with a washing machine repair man years ago, I would advise you wipe out the drum before you get it looked at.
    He will probably say you overloaded it with dog bedding, and the weight caused the rubber to melt against the drum.

Lol. Will do. But it was actually on a cleaning run with Calgonit to remove any build up of calcium - so that and a towel so it's not like it was overloaded when it happen. The water is very hard here and the pressure not great.

While that is technically correct, most suppliers of domestic white goods would not distinguish between a sale to a small landlord and a householder. They will almost certainly give the same service to both.

OP, your landlord's son is apparently not too enthusiastic about his new responsibilities, and he is probably also quite concerned about his father's health. I suggest that you try to get him on the phone, speak kindly to him, and ask if you can make things easier for him by speaking on his/his father's behalf to the supplier of the machine.

I was once in a position similar to your landlord's son, and had to deal with a dead washing machine (which I accepted as fair wear and tear, because it was a few years old). I was away at the time, and could not deal with things immediately. I thought it reasonable to allow the tenant the cost of having laundry done for the two weeks it took me to source a machine and have it installed. He claimed only €15 for a family of 6. I asked why it was so little, and he said that they had done some washes in their friends' machines. Goodwill is a two-way street.

I fully agree. However, there was no offering of refunding any washing and I am washing at a friends house at the moment and paying her power out of my own pocket. My LL is not a small LL but they have a good Real estate company in the Uk which is making a serious profit . I can't fone the son as I only have contact details for the father - any request for direct contact details has not been responded to. I am not being unkind and I'm paying for the washing already. Historically, my LL has the reputation of dragging his feet with paying any bills or not paying at all.I have certainly seen that myself because every time there is something in the house I literally have to state I will escalate to the tenancy board if this is not done by such and such date-usually after waiting +/- 2 month. I'm trying my best to be accommodating but as you say it has to come from both sides...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Washing machines are not supposed to be left running unattended due to fire risk - if the landlord had lost the property due to an unattended washing machine fire his insurance would probably have been invalidated.

• Advertisement

alf66 wrote: »

Gosh I've just seen the picture, it does look like an awful lot of hair. Although if it was a new towel that could be the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

How much is your friend charging you to use her washing machine? Bit harsh that she's charging you anything if you've only started using it.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    How much is your friend charging you to use her washing machine? Bit harsh that she's charging you anything if you've only started using it.

she's not charging much, just 2 euro a run which is what the power costs her she's on prepay power and I don't object to that at all.

pilly wrote: »
    Gosh I've just seen the picture, it does look like an awful lot of hair. Although if it was a new towel that could be the reason.

the towel was fairly new, as I only ever use it when I run the calgonit cycle in the machine I've bought it especially for that.

SB_Part2 wrote: »

Ah now, it all depends. The friend could be on a very tight budget. Every penny counts sometimes.

the towel was fairly new, as I only ever use it when I run the calgonit cycle in the machine I've bought it especially for that.

Hard water area could be a lot to do with it alright. I never experienced it until I moved out of Dublin and the amount of limescale on kettles and shower heads is unreal. I've had 3 kettles in 18 months despite doing all the descaling you're supposed to do.

I'm the same with the kettle - on my 4rth actually, I'm basically buying one each year.The washer and dishwasher all get treated for limescale monthly.Think the dishwasher is on it's way out as well, but it's been there for 9 years.i only use it once a week and so did the person who lived here before.But the washing machine would run at least 5 out of 7 days..

I'm the same with the kettle - on my 4rth actually, I'm basically buying one each year.The washer and dishwasher all get treated for limescale monthly.Think the dishwasher is on it's way out as well, but it's been there for 9 years.i only use it once a week and so did the person who lived here before.But the washing machine would run at least 5 out of 7 days..

Ah I only do a wash twice a week max but there's only me in the house. I don't use the dishwasher at all. There's one there alright but I find the dishes cleaner when I hand wash and dry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Lol. Will do. But it was actually on a cleaning run with Calgonit to remove any build up of calcium - so that and a towel so it's not like it was overloaded when it happen. The water is very hard here and the pressure not great.

Is that machine a washer-dryer or just a washer? that scum on the drum is most likely from the Calgon in the wash. was it one towel in the machine or did you use a few?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Is that machine a washer-dryer or just a washer? that scum on the drum is most likely from the Calgon in the wash. was it one towel in the machine or did you use a few?

it's a washer only. And there was one large bath towel in the machine.it's reserved for the descaling cause I find the machine is hopping about the place if it spins empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

it's a washer only. And there was one large bath towel in the machine.it's reserved for the descaling cause I find the machine is hopping about the place if it spins empty.

The machine should definitely not be vibrating when spinning empty!

I know it's 6 months old but presumably the transit bolts have been removed from the back of the machine?

Kensington wrote: »
    The machine should definitely not be vibrating when spinning empty!

I know it's 6 months old but presumably the transit bolts have been removed from the back of the machine?

Very true. Once the transit bolts and packaging have been removed, and it is on level ground, it should not jump while empty.
    My machine would spin perfectly if empty, but may have problems balancing with just one towel or bath mat in it.

I have no idea if there was anything removed - I'm not coming near the thing i'm terrified of it. OH just wiped the drum and got a shock. we've now disconnected the machine from every power source...should have done so before wiping the drum..

OH just wiped the drum and got a shock. we've now disconnected the machine from every power source...should have done so before wiping the drum..

Good idea..hope OH is ok.
    Time to call the professionals....best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It sounds very like the transport bolts were not removed or that some other item has found its way into the space between the inner and outer drums which is rattling about when the machine is in use.

Was it a brand new machine or one that was bought 2nd hand someplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Washing machines are not supposed to be left running unattended due to fire risk - if the landlord had lost the property due to an unattended washing machine fire his insurance would probably have been invalidated.

I almost always turn my washing machine/dishwasher/tumble dryer (or any combination of the three) on in a morning when I head out to work :eek:. I've never once considered that they might be a fire risk, so it's time for a re-think now.

My thanks to Intheclouds.

I almost always turn my washing machine/dishwasher/tumble dryer (or any combination of the three) on in a morning when I head out to work :eek:. I've never once considered that they might be a fire risk, so it's time for a re-think now.

My thanks to Intheclouds.

I have heard of the risk before but never considered it would invalidate your insurance. I would have always been nervous of leaving any appliances on but will be even more careful now. I still don't understand how people trust leaving these slow cookers and stuff on, I would be worried all the time that something could go on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

pilly wrote: »
    I have heard of the risk before but never considered it would invalidate your insurance. I would have always been nervous of leaving any appliances on but will be even more careful now. I still don't understand how people trust leaving these slow cookers and stuff on, I would be worried all the time that something could go on fire.

Of course it doesn't invalidate your insurance. This is just scaremongering nonsense.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It sounds very like the transport bolts were not removed or that some other item has found its way into the space between the inner and outer drums which is rattling about when the machine is in use.

Was it a brand new machine or one that was bought 2nd hand someplace?

it was bought brand new...

• Advertisement

maximum12 wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't invalidate your insurance. This is just scaremongering nonsense.

I'd be here nor there. A friend of a colleague of mine actually experienced a house fire due to a washing machine and she was told the 2 biggest reasons for home fires are telephone charges and washing machines following suit. I for one will never have anything running anymore if I am not home or if I'm asleep...still scared ****less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement