Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing washing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Fire Marshall teaching us work related fire training told me and work colleagues that #1 cause was dishwashers. a jam can cause overheating and plastics can catch.

This was a few years ago, before all the exploding phone batteries phenomenon started.

Maybe replace it yourself, you are using it every day and it doesn't look like it was well treated with all that fluff and a leaf in it.. and it was shaking but you didn't do anything to solve it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

reick wrote: »
    Maybe replace it yourself, you are using it every day and it doesn't look like it was well treated with all that fluff and a leaf in it.. and it was shaking but you didn't do anything to solve it then.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    I wouldn't think so. The probably came in with the towel which was fluffy.I treat my white good very well. And sure, why would I nowt wash every day? is there a law against it somewhere in the tenancy act that I can't use my washing machine when I need it? I did notify the LL about the hopping about when it was empty but that it was fine with weight in it. Thats why i am required to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

:pac::pac::pac::pac:
    I wouldn't think so. The probably came in with the towel which was fluffy.I treat my white good very well. And sure, why would I nowt wash every day? is there a law against it somewhere in the tenancy act that I can't use my washing machine when I need it? I did notify the LL about the hopping about when it was empty but that it was fine with weight in it. Thats why i am required to do.

A lot of machines do hop about if they haven't been balanced right, the two issues could be unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

pilly wrote: »
    A lot of machines do hop about if they haven't been balanced right, the two issues could be unrelated.

I've got slightly uneven floor tiles under my washing machine so it's impossible to get the balance right. It's also under a counter top so I can't adjust it properly to stop the hopping around. It's like a dancing lunatic when the spin cycle is 1400 rpm! So I've just wedged a tea towel between the top of the machine and the underneath of the worktop and it calms the machine down a bit.

Unless the OP deliberately wrecked her washing machine (and it doesn't seem at all like she did), why on earth should she replace it? The LL and his son seem difficult to deal with, so I can understand that it will probably take time and effort for her to get them to replace the machine, but it's absolutely their responsibility to do so. If she goes down the route of replacing white goods herself, who knows what else LL will try to get away with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

maximum12 wrote: »
    Of course it doesn't invalidate your insurance. This is just scaremongering nonsense.

Not true.

My family home was lost in a house fire - unattended dishwasher. Insurance refused to pay out. Got to read the small print with insurance policies.

Not true.

My family home was lost in a house fire - unattended dishwasher. Insurance refused to pay out. Got to read the small print with insurance policies.

Wow. Where to start from if that happened? Did they really get away without paying out? Insurance companies are unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wow. Where to start from if that happened? Did they really get away without paying out? Insurance companies are unbelievable

Please don't take this thread off topic.

Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It is the landlords responsibility to provide a washing machine. I dont see why OP should have to spend a few hundred to replace it since its the landlords job. IMO I think OPs constant issues with washing machines is the landlord buying cheap, ****ty ones. I know its hard to justify spending money on more expensive appliances in rented properties as you will get tenants who abuse them. But ask any landlord who stopped buying the cheapest british made stuff and spent a bit more on a German brand like Bosch and they will tell you they last 3/4 times as long without constant repairs

IMO it sounds like it wasnt installed right from the start. How is OP supposed to know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

newacc2015 wrote: »
    IMO it sounds like it wasnt installed right from the start. How is OP supposed to know that?

Because it was hopping around from the start.

I mean, how spoonfed do tenants have to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Well, the contractor from Beko arrived this morning, looked at the machine and stated the heating element was faulty and some other thingy inside it which caused it to spin without stopping.
    Beko will replace the machine free of charge...
    Pfew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Well, the contractor from Beko arrived this morning, looked at the machine and stated the heating element was faulty and some other thingy inside it which caused it to spin without stopping.
    Beko will replace the machine free of charge...
    Pfew.

All's well that ends well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I got a lot of hassle from them wanting me to pay 50% of the new machine.And now he's really ill.It's just they are trying to blame me if he gets upset and it feels really wrong.
    Look for a new place, and leave. Sounds like this is just the start of this crap, tbh.

=-=

Glad you got it sorted, but unless it's a great area/good rent, perhaps start to look elsewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement