Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is living in Loughrea? (2016)

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello!

I know there are a few threads similar to this one but all of them are fairly old.

I'm moving to Loughrea this month and wanted to know if it is a safe and good place to live.
    I have been searching a lot about Loughrea for the past 2 months, found a few people saying is the worst place to live in Ireland with a lot of knackers, and also found a few people saying it is an amazing place to live.

I don't know what to think about Loughrea, so I am asking for advices from you.

I don't care much about pubs and nightlife, so what it is important for me is security and nice people. I care a lot about security because I don't intend to have a car, so I will be walking a lot. I already have a job, so transportation and distance to Galway city is not an important factor here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Comments

Hello!

I know there are a few threads similar to this one but all of them are fairly old.

I'm moving to Loughrea this month and wanted to know if it is a safe and good place to live.
    I have been searching a lot about Loughrea for the past 2 months, found a few people saying is the worst place to live in Ireland with a lot of knackers, and also found a few people saying it is an amazing place to live.

I don't know what to think about Loughrea, so I am asking for advices from you.

I don't care much about pubs and nightlife, so what it is important for me is security and nice people. I care a lot about security because I don't intend to have a car, so I will be walking a lot. I already have a job, so transportation and distance to Galway city is not an important factor here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I'm not from Loughrea but in my experience there are less undesireables there than Tuam and Ballinasloe in the bigger Galway towns.

If I was to move to any of the three it would be Loughrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Dane29

Hi there. Well I am living in Loughrea and I can honestly say that it is a very safe and quiet town. Loads of amenities and I have never had any problems. It is a busy town and the night life is great to even though you said you not interested in that side. I see a lot of ladies walking by them selves late at night and never have any hassle. So I definitely recommend it. Hard to get a place to rent in Loughrea at the moment though I believe. good Luck with your move.

Loughrea is a great little town with a lot going for it. I have family there and there are a lot of facilities if you are in that demographic.

As with any place there are good and bad points.

You seem to have done a lot of research yourself which is good. If I could offer any advice it would be to spend a day there before you move, especially if you are planning on a long term stay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes Loughrea is a nice town to live in, if you're buying a house the prices are certainly more reasonable than other areas and it's an easy commute to the city from there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi GingerCat just pondering did you end up moving to Loughrea? We are considering moving there and we really dont know anything really about the place just drove around the.. It did seem very nice in fairness but just wondering how you felt as like an outsider moving in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GingerCat123

Thank you guys for the responses, it is great to hear good things about Loughrea, I was a little worried.

Hi Milly33, I did end up moving to Loughrea, and so far has been very good. Very quiet town, nice people and I feel pretty safe here.
    As I said before, don't know much about the night life here, but everything else is lovely. It is very small but has a lot of amenities. And the lake is very beautiful.

Great thanks Gingercat, feedback is great to have.. Oh we have been looking for a place for a while now we wanted something closer to Galway itself but I dont know what they are doing with renting places driving me nuts... So loughrea might be the winner..It ticks most boxes...

We would kinda be the same, we arent going there for the nightlife more someplace nice to be based..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 galwayreader

Bit of trouble there recently on the streets. In fairness it is unusual but feel that Loughrea is not getting the recovery bounce that Athenry, Tuam and Oranmore seem to have experienced. Again to be fair they are larger and closer to city.

What kinda of troubles then didnt hear of anything but then we arent in with the locals as such.. I must say now I do like the town and that but there isnt an awfull lot to do here... The lough is lovely and the beach which I dont get as it isnt a beach, but other than that is seems a little quiet

Advertisement