Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a child / teen on their own and babysitting

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Two quick questions please. Is there a legal age a child / teen can be left on their own? I know it can depend on the individual child and their maturity, but is their a legal age?

And also what age do you need to be to baby sit?

My child who is 13 and a half was asked to mind a friends child for a couple of hours this week with the mid term. I know she'd be well able to, and they only live a one minute walk away from my home, but with the exception of popping to the local shop, we never really leave her home alone. I've no doubt she is more than capable, just the way it happens, one of us is normally at home.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

According to the Citizens Information website, there is no legal minimum age for babysitting. Also says what you mentioned above (The babysitter's level of maturity and competence are the main attributes a parent should consider).

You say that your child is well able to babysit, and that she's only a minute away so I wouldn't have any worries if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

How old is the child. If they're an infant I'd say easy to young for that responsibility. If over four then probably OK but I'd want assurances regards security in the home (for both children)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I was 14 when I started to babysit so I don't see a problem once she has a good head on her shoulders...i started with a couple of hours during the day and then at night...I know a few 14 year olds now who are very mature and I would have no problem letting them babysit and I also know a few who can't mind themselves never mind babysit..if you think she is up to it then why not plenty of teens minding siblings at that age with no problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

mordeith wrote: »
    How old is the child. If they're an infant I'd say easy to young for that responsibility. If over four then probably OK but I'd want assurances regards security in the home (for both children)

Sorry, I should of added that, it's a six year old girl, and they want her minded for 2 1/2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

harr wrote: »
    I was 14 when I started to babysit so I don't see a problem once she has a good head on her shoulders...i started with a couple of hours during the day and then at night...I know a few 14 year olds now who are very mature and I would have no problem letting them babysit and I also know a few who can't mind themselves never mind babysit..if you think she is up to it then why not plenty of teens minding siblings at that age with no problems..

Thank you harr :)I agree, I was 13 myself when I started baby sitting and it was night time (this is during the day), I just wondered was there a legal age or any guidelines... it all seemed a little vague when I looked around.

To be honest I'd offer to mind the child myself, but they asked when my daughter was in the room and she has gotten very excited about the idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

stickybean wrote: »

To be honest I'd offer to mind the child myself, but they asked when my daughter was in the room and she has gotten very excited about the idea :)

Perhaps for her first babysitting gig you could tag along, but bring a book and sit in a different room. That way you're on site, but your daughter is the one caring for the little girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Perhaps for her first babysitting gig you could tag along, but bring a book and sit in a different room. That way you're on site, but your daughter is the one caring for the little girl?

It they're only a minute away, let your daughter mind the girl on her own but stick close by yourself for the duration (in case she needs anything

Advertisement