Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Half Marathon Saturday 19th November

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hey, couldn't find a thread for this race so I'm starting one here. Mods feel free to delete if there's already one I've missed.

The Clontarf Half Marathon and five mile race is in 18 days from now, apparently it's the flattest HM in Ireland so I'm looking forward to it as a chance to increase my PB.

These are the pacers for the HM:

2hrs

Is anyone else doing this race? I'm very excited, I'm doing it because I just finished the DCM and realised that without a race to look forward to and train for, I don't know what to be doing with myself!

Here's the website link:
    http://rundublin.com/race/clontarf/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Its a flat course, but if you get a headwind out there it can be tough, I did the 5 mile last summer and it was windy, my friend doing the half had a tough time with it, no PB for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Its a flat course, but if you get a headwind out there it can be tough

Well Nuttzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭meor

I'll be doing it myself, did it last year too. Was quite windy and cold last year, but wasn't really an issue once you got moving!

Question - where did you find the pacer info? I can't see it anywhere! Came in just behind the 1:50 pacer last year so would like to cling onto the 1:45 this year, did't know that was an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I shall be there. Praying for a relatively calm day as a strong headwind would be a killer!!

Anyone with previous experience on this course have any pearls of wisdom?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

meor wrote: »
    Question - where did you find the pacer info? I can't see it anywhere! Came in just behind the 1:50 pacer last year so would like to cling onto the 1:45 this year, did't know that was an option!

I copied and pasted the pacer times from a previous year's thread. It did come up somewhere on the website when I was booking it this afternoon, but I only glanced at it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

how much of this is run on sand? does the sand get chopped up? cant imagine anything worse than running a long distance on shifting soft sand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

how much of this is run on sand? does the sand get chopped up? cant imagine anything worse than running a long distance on shifting soft sand!

I paced the 1.50 last year. The beach part wasn't too bad. I think I was about a km long ( open to correction). Sand felt compacted tide was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

nhunter100 wrote: »
    I paced the 1.50 last year. The beach part wasn't too bad. I think I was about a km long ( open to correction). Sand felt compacted tide was out.

Running on the beach itself is fine (underfoot anyway, can be windy).
    It's the entry & exit through the churned up softish stuff that are the hard parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

yaboya1 wrote:
    Running on the beach itself is fine (underfoot anyway, can be windy). It's the entry & exit through the churned up softish stuff that are the hard parts.

Yeah forgot the entry and exit, I just slowed right down for these bits too easy to roll the ankle, that was my thinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

In for this... Didn't realise there was a part on the beach but hopefully its hard underfoot as suggested.
    If its not windy ill hopefully going for a sub 1:40..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I've run this five times before, and have an entry for the upcoming one as well. Running on the soft sand as you enter and exit the beach sections is tough on the legs. There's a bit of a drag which you can feel from Raheny village back to the beach (13-14 km approx.) Overall though, it's a flat course and if it's not too windy there's definitely PB potential if you're in good shape. Word of warning: last time the wind was against us for both beach stints ! Usually however, it tends to be behind you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Iv run this plenty of times also, and the beach sections can be difficult, mainly cause of the scale of the vista out to Sea and Howth head. Normally when you are running "stuff" goes past quiet quickly, with the beach section, Howth just sits there not moving for 10-12 minutes until you make the turn for causeway road. Makes that section of the run mentally tough if you are running at race pace or really pushing on. You get the reverse of this on the return leg...

Also due to it being an "out and back" and relatively narrow course, the groups around the 1:40 - 2:00 pacers can be pretty deep / wide.

If there is a strong wind on the day (normally blows from the south - Dublin direction), you may need to team up and run in a group, with people taking turns. If you get a real storm, the sand blast can be a factor too...

I do / did enjoy the race when I ran it, and if it a calm sunny day, the views are lovely, and usually a good spread afterword's.

Ill probably be stewarding around the Howth road sections or Halfway at Bayside Cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Does anyone know if you can change your entry?

I'm entered for the half but am considering downgrading to the 5 mile. No mention of it in their FAQ section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Does anyone know if you can change your entry?

I'm entered for the half but am considering downgrading to the 5 mile. No mention of it in their FAQ section.
    Usually on the day you can just say it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

Hi

About how long are you on the beach for? 1 mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

About 1 mile out and 1 mile back. Its usually fairly well compacted so not a problem for running, The transitions onto the beach can be a bit softer and energy sapping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, I am in.
    See you all there on Saturday!

I did this once before back in 2014 and if it is very windy, the 'Tip of the Day' is to find the biggest runner in your group that you can and run in his/her slipstream to save some energy ........and then dip him/her on the finish line:)

As other have posted, the soft sand leading on to the beach and off it is where people need to be careful and not push too hard. If people are looking for a PB, make time up on the tarmac before and after the sand as you may lose a bit of time on the beach.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'm in too. Was running on the seafront tonight and it's f*cking cold, that wind would cut you in two as well. Hopefully the wind calms down a bit. I could put up with the cold, but the wind would be tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

First time doing this, enjoyed it immensely, course a bit narrow at times, spent a lot of time weaving to get a bit of space, but on a good day it's a spectacular course, particularly for a southsider who doesn't get over that way often. Well organised as well. Very happy with my day.

Lovely morning for it out there, wind wasn't as strong as it was earlier in the week which was great.

Pace suffered a bit on the beach on the way back in but was happy to be able to pick it up when we got into a proper surface.

There was a woman standing on the bridge on the way back in, about 3k from the end with orange peelings and sweets in the freezing cold. What a legend. I wanted to say thanks so much that I forgot to take a bit of orange and was cursing myself seconds after. Still though, would be so helpful for anyone who managed to grab one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Lovely morning for it out there, wind wasn't as strong as it was earlier in the week which was great.

Pace suffered a bit on the beach on the way back in but was happy to be able to pick it up when we got into a proper surface.

There was a woman standing on the bridge on the way back in, about 3k from the end with orange peelings and sweets in the freezing cold. What a legend. I wanted to say thanks so much that I forgot to take a bit of orange and was cursing myself seconds after. Still though, would be so helpful for anyone who managed to grab one.

Got two, but too knackered to chew;)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Got two, but too knackered to chew;)

Yep, I got a very sugary cola bottle off her and gave her a 'fair play to ya'! I had a great day out, the sand was a bit of a killer on the way back so it was nice to get back to the tarmac again.

Great race, lovely scenery glad to get the last HM for the year in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Any ideas when the results will be online?

I enjoyed the day, lovely weather. Course was a bit narrow. I could have done with more grub afterwards.

D9Male wrote: »
    Any ideas when the results will be online?

I enjoyed the day, lovely weather. Course was a bit narrow. I could have done with more grub afterwards.
    http://redtagtiming.com

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Great course, what a perfect day for it. Ran alongside the pacers for the first time and I have to say they were terrific. Olywn and Joe I think their names were. The motivation they gave throughout was just fantastic, they deserve huge credit! I didn't realised they'd be coaching as they were running, it was a big help.

The race start was a bit messy I felt but I suppose given where it starts it's always going to be like that. Would have thought they'd get some bigger balloons for the pacers, regular yellow balloons with two hours written in marker isn't ideal!

Overall a well organised event and it's a brilliant course for a PB. Well worth the 28 euro when you see some of the terrible 5k events that cost that. The wind on the beach on the way back was slightly tough.

Any photos up or anyone know where they will be up?

Advertisement