Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Smyths Toys €14.99

100157.jpg

Same game in Tesco today is €20.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Same game could be in Tesco tomorrow for 10.99, and in Smyth for 15.99.

Where is the rip off part in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

wonski wrote: »
    Same game could be in Tesco tomorrow for 10.99, and in Smyth for 15.99.

Where is the rip off part in this?

The Smyths version wasn't on sale.

It's a €6 difference for the same game.

That's a rip off (in my opinion anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

£10 in Argos UK. So are Smyths also a rip off?

Sometimes prices are just different, everything is not a rip off. I'm sure you'll find toys cheaper in Tesco than Smyths.

ThisRegard wrote: »

Sometimes prices are just different, everything is not a rip off. I'm sure you'll find toys cheaper in Tesco than Smyths.

Fair enough. I'd consider it a rip off to be charged €6 extra for a small game. I understand difference in pricing of items exists in many places.

Maybe I didn't get the gist of the thread. should really look at the other threads here to see what is defined as an actual 'rip off'! Apologies.

Edited: Oh! Seems like I'm okay!
    "This forum, and this thread, is for discussion of high consumer pricing in Ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Easons 20.99
    Debenhams 20.00
    Littlewoods 19.99

UK rrp £14.99

Smyths have massive buying power on games. They are now possibly the largest toy and games retailer in Britain & Ireland (not bad considering that it started out as a country town newsagent selling a few toys in Claremorris followed by a basement shop in Eyre square).

• Advertisement

Edited: Oh! Seems like I'm okay!
    "This forum, and this thread, is for discussion of high consumer pricing in Ireland"

It's not a rip off, it's just the price. If they were charging way over the odds of the RRP then you'd have a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

always found tesco very expensive for toys. especially for lego. always a couple of quid more expensive, even for the smaller sets.

that £10 price has 25% off. Any direct comparison with the UK are troublesome at the moment given the drop in the exchange rate.

It's not a rip off, it's just the price. If they were charging way over the odds of the RRP then you'd have a rip off.

It's a rip off to me especially given the Smyths one didn't say it was 'on sale'. I assume Smyths are already making a profit on the boardgame at €14.99 so Tesco are making way above that. On one item.

Anyway I just thought I'd inform people. Perhaps if they're looking for this board game they'll know where to get it a bit cheaper - I know I'd certainly appreciate the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I saw something for sale today that was cheaper in another shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

OP is trying to stir outrage, this is just how things are, not every shop has unified pricing. Obviously Smyths can't be cheaper, they sell only toys but Tesco sell toys on the side.

Edups wrote: »
    Tesco sell toys on the side.

My local Tesco sells them down the back.

endacl wrote: »
    My local Tesco sells them down the back.

*tish*

OP is trying to stir outrage, this is just how things are, not every shop has unified pricing. Obviously Smyths can't be cheaper, they sell only toys but Tesco sell toys on the side.

"stir outrage"???!

Are you serious?!

I'm merely pointing out a price difference, a substantial one, and thought I'd alert others to the same. I'm perfectly aware things can be on sale for different prices in different places but as boardgames are popular purchases for Christmas, people may not be always aware that such an difference can exist.

Like I said it's nice for potential buyers of the game to be aware of the price difference. Perhaps if there was another place I should have posted this, the moderator can let me know.

Personally I still feel this notice fits within the parameters of the charter but again if I am incorrect, I apologise and will delete the thread if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Moral of the story, buy food in Tesco's and Toys in Smyths.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Moral of the story, buy food in Tesco's and Toys in Smyths.

well definitely dont do the reverse.

well definitely dont do the reverse.

Feckin' plasticine cupcakes. Never again.

:mad:

"stir outrage"???!

Are you serious?!

I'm merely pointing out a price difference, a substantial one

Very serious

Substantial? It's 6 euro mate, sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Very serious

1) <Mod>Quit with the personal abuse or you'll be banned</Mod>

2)A 40% price difference is significant

3) 6 Euro can be a huge a about of money to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

er - it pays to shop around? it really is that simple.

if im buying a game ill check the price online, then decide. to be honest tesco regulary sell games.

Argos have a price matching guarantee at the moment, but it seems to be 'if the item qualifies'.

http://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/price-promise.htm?authToken=HP1_fsarea

• Advertisement

Very serious

It's > 25% which suggests a substantial markup to me, yes.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Bargain Alerts thread instead! The recession is most definitely over, the boom must be back when €6 on 1 boardgame can be scoffed at!

I find being called 'mate', when I am not your mate a bit patronising so please refrain from doing that.

er - it pays to shop around? it really is that simple.

if im buying a game ill check the price online, then decide. to be honest tesco regulary sell games.

Argos have a price matching guarantee at the moment, but it seems to be 'if the item qualifies'.

http://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/price-promise.htm?authToken=HP1_fsarea

Oh absolutely it pays to shop around. I regularly use Pricespy to help in this regard. I didn't actually buy Guess Who, but I'm still a fan of it and had just noticed by chance the price in Smyths and then in Tesco. I wasn't seeking it out. Definitely shop around at any opportunity - there are savings to be had. Again perhaps I misunderstood the function of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

its interesting that someone thinks 6 euro difference is nothing, this is the exact reason why we have a rip off republic because people refuse to shop around.

Who said anything about people refusing to shop around?

Who said anything about people refusing to shop around?

Well if €6 is 'nothing' then these people wouldn't think twice about paying for the game in Tesco albeit at the higher price because sure what's €6? (apparently)

It wasn't mentioned on the thread but it does happen, I see it with workmates, family and friends all the time. The Sit down its only 6 euro post reminded me of this, and its clear from that attitude too that it seems to be a common mindset.

:)

Nobody said €6 is nothing either.

Nobody said €6 is nothing either.

You've not been reading the thread have you..
    Very serious

The poster inferred that 6 euro is not substantial, therefore meaning its not enough of a difference to care about.

You said it yourself, it was inferred it's not substantial. There's a difference between substantial and nothing. You obviously read back through the thread yourself and failed to find where anyone said it was nothing.

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    its interesting that someone thinks 6 euro difference is nothing, this is the exact reason why we have a rip off republic because people refuse to shop around.

I didn't say it was nothing I said it's not a massive thing to get uppedty about. Good lord.

Advertisement