Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Edups wrote: »
    I didn't say it was nothing I said it's not a massive thing to get uppedty about. Good lord.

Who was getting 'uppedty' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Who was getting 'uppedty' ?

Well a few of ye lost your minds after I said it, and the OP sounded like the whole world was out to get him over a price difference, as if that never occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Who knew that a store which focus completely on selling toys would be able to buy said toys at a cheaper price, and therefore sell out at a cheaper price, than a grocery store where toys are probably 2% of their volume. Shock horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Easons 20.99
    Debenhams 20.00
    Littlewoods 19.99

UK rrp £14.99
    Perhaps if there was another place I should have posted this
    Yep, it's yet another thread which would be better suited to bargain alerts. You could quote the other prices to show it is "substantially cheaper" in smyths. Decent enough bargain you found.

first few google hits
    22.99 here http://www.mytoyshop.ie/games/guess-who.2169.html
    19.99 (reduced) https://www.byrnesonline.ie/shop/world-of-wonder/guess-who-board-game/

Well a few of ye lost your minds after I said it, and the OP sounded like the whole world was out to get him over a price difference, as if that never occurs.

I am the OP and female.

I don't think anyone 'lost their mind' but I've already explained my rationale behind posting the OP in this Rip off Ireland thread.

• Advertisement

wardides wrote: »
    Who knew that a store which focus completely on selling toys would be able to buy said toys at a cheaper price, and therefore sell out at a cheaper price, than a grocery store where toys are probably 2% of their volume. Shock horror.

I detect sarcasm for some strange reason!!

Will keep such brainwave thinking in mind before I post future comments here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

I am the OP and female.

I don't think anyone 'lost their mind' but I've already explained my rationale behind posting the OP in this Rip off Ireland thread.

/unfollow

/unfollow

About time!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

I am the OP and female.

The rationale is wrong.

Standard price UK and Ireland is circa €19-€21.

That the Smyths website doesn't indicate it is discounted maybe a small error.

But Tesco selling at about the same price as most stores is neither a rip off nor even "overpriced"

But maybe you can't accept that your post was not well judged or correct to be described as "ripoff"

Walter2016 wrote: »
    The rationale is wrong.

Standard price UK and Ireland is circa €19-€21.

That the Smyths website doesn't indicate it is discounted maybe a small error.

But Tesco selling at about the same price as most stores is neither a rip off nor even "overpriced"

But maybe you can't accept that your post was not well judged or correct to be described as "ripoff"

My rationale is not 'wrong'. How can you call someone else's rationale wrong? You can disagree with it, but it's no more wrong than yours or anyone else's.

The Smyth's website didn't indicate a discount, nor did the shelf in the shop so I am to presume it wasn't discounted and their usual price for that particular game.

Selling a game at 25% above another price cannot be described as 'about the same'. If it was a playstation game costing €60 in 1 shop and €75 in another would you you still argue it was 'about the same'? I think not.

A rip-off can be described as something that is grossly overpriced. €6 added on to a game of €14.99 in my opinion fits this description. Again, I have checked the charter for this particular forum and it appears I am within the parameters laid out. Perhaps YOU can't accept that YOUR judgement is not correct :) It's amazing what attitudinal changes the end of the recession has brought!!! :rolleyes:

Hadn't expected some people on boards would get so worked up over Guess Who! I will think of ye any time I play this game in the future! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Pmt?

Walter2016 wrote:
    Pmt?

Sorry, I don't get ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

OP is trying to stir outrage, this is just how things are, not every shop has unified pricing. Obviously Smyths can't be cheaper, they sell only toys but Tesco sell toys on the side.

Without straying too far off topic - with Tesco's rip off. Was in there yesterday huge sign advertising half price tooth paste threw in two things of max white Colgate. Arrived home only to note it was 4-39€ each - I doubt Tesco ever sold Colgate max white for 8-80 a tube. They also do this with wines put them artificially up to 18-20 the go half price. The moral of the story is the half is the price on display and not as this idiot assumed half of the displayed price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

riddles wrote: »
    Without straying too far off topic - with Tesco's rip off. Was in there yesterday huge sign advertising half price tooth paste threw in two things of max white Colgate. Arrived home only to note it was 4-39€ each - I doubt Tesco ever sold Colgate max white for 8-80 a tube. They also do this with wines put them artificially up to 18-20 the go half price. The moral of the story is the half is the price on display and not as this idiot assumed half of the displayed price

You only found that out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

riddles wrote: »
    . Arrived home only to note it was 4-39€ each - I doubt Tesco ever sold Colgate max white for 8-80 a tube. They also do this with wines put them artificially up to 18-20 the go half price.
    I doubt tesco are breaking the law as you suggest, they have to legally have it at the other price for a specified amount of time before saying its half price, unless you just mean they literally did not sell any, rather than not have them priced at 8.80. I see numerous colgates online at half price. I would guess you picked up one which was not on offer.

Customers will often put back ones in the same place when they see a cheaper & similar alternative. You could always return these for a cash refund.

Advertisement