Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Apparently Bautista is coming back to Toronto! Did not see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Am disappointed that Moncada is gone, 3B has been a problem position for years

Then again having Chris Sale alongside Cy Young winners Rick Porcello and David Price is a pretty formidable start to a rotation

Happy with this trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It was well reported that the Cubs weren't in on Chapman and his 6 years, $100m request but it looks like they're trading Soler to the Royals to get Wade Davis so that'll confirm that Chapman's not going back.

Chapman's market getting smaller now. Probably down to the Yankees, Marlins and Dodgers although now that the Nats have lost out on Melacon and Sale, they might be desperate for a big name and might get back in the race.

Wade Davis has a 1.18ERA and allowed only 3 homers over the last 3 years

Very shrewd move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Wanted Sale, not going to lie but no dice on what the White Sox wanted apparently. The Red Sox just gave up a tonne in prospects , so fair play to them they obviously are in a win now mode and with the obvious weakness being their starting rotation they've gone and got a true ace. Price is no longer the ace he was and has obvious major issues handling play off pressure. I like Porcello but I don't know he just doesn't strike me as a true ace and obviously the knuckleballer had a great year too so the addition of Sale is a major boost to the Red Sox. love Sale have to say really disappointed that the Nats couldn't get it done but I would take McCutchen and Chapman. We have the money so I 'd off Chapman 60 m over 3 years rather than the apparent 100 he's looking for over 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Cubs acquire Closer Wade Davis from the Royals for OF Jorge Soler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Cubs acquire Closer Wade Davis from the Royals for OF Jorge Soler

Great move for the Cubs. Quality closer.

Nats look to be close to a deal for McCutchen sending Giolito the other way, possibly with Gonzalez. Too rich for my liking for a player who could be a free agent in 2018.

I like Porcello but I don't know he just doesn't strike me as a true ace

Yeah sure he hasn't won a Cy Young in weeks :P

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah sure he hasn't won a Cy Young in weeks :P

Well personally I thought Verlander had a better year and deserved the CY Young more.. but that's just me.

The Rockies sign OF Ian Desmond

Ray's sign C Wilson Ramos

• Advertisement

The Rockies sign OF Ian Desmond

Ray's sign C Wilson Ramos

If Ramos' knee holds up the Rays are getting one of the best offensive catcher's in the game in my opinion.

Nice to see Desmond rebound last year with the Rangers, I think the Rockies will suit him too.

Krusty you think you will make a play for Chapman?

Well personally I thought Verlander had a better year and deserved the CY Young more.. but that's just me.

Verlander had 6 less wins, walked more and gave up more homers. I suspect it's the wins that is the important stat here. He would have to have had an exceptional ERA to win a Cy Young with just 16 wins, and he just didn't. Good, yes, but everyone knows Cy Young's are heavily biased on wins.

Krusty you think you will make a play for Chapman?

Yes and he'll be given a 4 year deal for around 70 million id say.. Cashman has let it be known that he's top of the list of off season priorities so with the other Closers that have come off the boards in the last 2 days, it's only logical outcome for me now

Nats get Eaton from WS. Great player and under control for 5 years but had to give up their 1, 3 and 6 prospects. Big hauls for Chicago this week. They've gotten the 1 and 3 best prospects in all of baseball apparently.

Nats to acquire OF Adam Eaton from the White Sox for prospects including RHP Lucas Giolito

Nats to acquire OF Adam Eaton from the White Sox for prospects including RHP Lucas Giolito

Chapman's back to the Bronx. 5 years, $86m.

Chapman's back to the Bronx. 5 years, $86m.

I wasn't far off.. And can't be traded for 3 years or sent to a team in California

I wasn't far off.. And can't be traded for 3 years or sent to a team in California

2 wife beating closers in New York now

• Advertisement

Nats gave up too much for Eaton.

I line the move for one reason only, Trea will be at SS and we will not have Espinosa stinking up the line up.

But damn that was a lot to give up.

Now we need a close and Jansen the only A lister left and we will inevitably be forced to overpay.

Disappointing so far and worse is the inevitable caving on Bryce's contract. We'll pay $375m/$400m over 10 years for him, it's inevitable I think and probably the right move for the organisation. I think he wants to stay which is the most important thing but it's a huge cost.

I line the move for one reason only, Trea will be at SS and we will not have Espinosa stinking up the line up.

But damn that was a lot to give up.

Now we need a close and Jansen the only A lister left and we will inevitably be forced to overpay.

Disappointing so far and worse is the inevitable caving on Bryce's contract. We'll pay $375m/$400m over 10 years for him, it's inevitable I think and probably the right move for the organisation. I think he wants to stay which is the most important thing but it's a huge cost.

Isn't Bryce a big Yankee fan? Unless the Nats can get him to sign an extension before he hits free agency, I'd say he'll be off to NY.

Rule 5 draft today. The day teams pinch prospects from other teams.

They're not on the 40 man for a reason but there are usually one or two guys worth claiming.

2 wife beating closers in New York now

Tip of the cap for that one Jack

Isn't Bryce a big Yankee fan? Unless the Nats can get him to sign an extension before he hits free agency, I'd say he'll be off to NY.

He enjoys Washington a lot. It's a big market and comes without the crap that New York has. I think he stays to be honest but I think we pay for it. Either way though he's probably a good investment. Similar to Trout. Just pay him now.

Looks like the Cardinals have thrown mad money at Dexter Fowler and its worked

Edit: Deal is 5 years for 82.5 million and full no trade clause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice summary here in the NY Daily News. He loves what the Red Sox did, which I agree with - you have so few windows to win the WS, and prospects mostly don't pan out. Spot on about the Mets needing to do more, so does every team, and interesting view of Houston and how they need a starter still. Plus negative about the Eaton deal and that Washington still doesn't have a closer with only Jansen out there as an 'elite' closer.

Personally I still see McCutchen moving. In Mets news, Lagares hurt himself in Winter League play, I doubt this makes the Mets get in on McCutcheon, if they do they desperately need to move an outfielder like Bruce or Granderson, McCutcheon would be a great replacement for either one, makes the team faster and defend better, both huge in a pitching-oriented team.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/winter-meetings-takeaways-mets-yankees-accomplished-article-1.2906194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I don't agree it was too much. I agree it was a lot.
    But its the 'win now' mentality.
    CF was been a weak point for them in recent years. The Denard Span deal was a disaster, Michael Taylor had no bat.
    Eaton is a potentially 20-20 player, at lead-off, who could get over 100 runs.
    And his contract is good.
    He'll get to play with Harper for a few years. They are all-in for the next 2 years, and had to sacrifice:
    1. Giolito. Projected stud, but with work to be done as we saw.
    2. Lopez. 'Probably' going to be a very good pitcher.
    3. Dunning. Very young.

I think they had to make this sort of play.
    And then, add the fact, as mentioned, it takes Trea Turner out of CF and to SS, negating the need for Espinosa batting average....

McCutchen would also have taken the CF spot for less I think and would be the epitome of win now.

Eaton is not a bad player , his contract is team friendly and they believe he has further to go with a higher ceiling but we gave up too much imo

McCutchen would also have taken the CF spot for less I think and would be the epitome of win now.

Eaton is not a bad player , his contract is team friendly and they believe he has further to go with a higher ceiling but we gave up too much imo

The big win, no matter who got what was being able to move Turner to SS and banish Espinosa to the moon. I like the Eaton signing (and by like I mean hate as he's good!).

Prospects are great but they're still only prospects and the window to win doesn't stay open forever so when you have a good core of players, you have to give up something to increase your chances of winning now.

Would I like to have Michael Fulmer with the Mets? Of course I would but then they wouldn't have gotten Cespedas who took them to the NL Pennant.

Dodgers sign Closer Kenley Jansen to a 5 year deal worth 80 million

• Advertisement

Dodgers sign Closer Kenley Jansen to a 5 year deal worth 80 million

FOOP it

FOOP it

Blake Trienen to close...????

FOOP it

I was convinced he was off to the Marlins

I think we'll sign someone but I doubt Treinen closes.

Could always resign Papelbon. He wasnt done done last season but was just too annoying and a distraction. If he gets himself in shape, adjusts the attitude then maybe.

I think we'll sign someone but I doubt Treinen closes.

Could always resign Papelbon. He wasnt done done last season but was just too annoying and a distraction. If he gets himself in shape, adjusts the attitude then maybe.

Robertson from the WS seems to seen as the best available closer out there. All depends on whether they could get a deal done.

Robertson from the WS seems to seen as the best available closer out there. All depends on whether they could get a deal done.

Alex Colome an option for the Nats?

Colome is an option as is Robertson. Personally I dont love either, dont think they are good enough to warrant a move for them.

Kelley and Treinen will proabably get a shot in spring training. I think we might make a move for Greg Holland or Sean Dolittle. Guys who were closers but havent done the job in a couple of years due to injury.

I also think that Rizzo sort of f***ed up in this. We needed bullpen help should have at the very least kept Mark. $60m over 5 years is nothing to have a consistant closer in a big market like Washington.

I would have personally went after Chapman (to win now) but there are obvious worries over 4 or 5 year contracts on guys who are flame throwers.

Justin Turner back to the Dodgers $64m over 4 years. Great signing for the Dodgers.

Justin Turner back to the Dodgers $64m over 4 years. Great signing for the Dodgers.

*gnashes teeth* the one that got away.

Red Sox trade SP Clay Buchholz to the Phillies for 2B prospect Josh Tobias

• Advertisement

Red Sox trade SP Clay Buchholz to the Phillies for 2B prospect Josh Tobias

I cant believe someone gave up anything for Bucholz

Pirates give SP Ivan Nova a 3 year deal for 26 million

Indians get Encarnacion for 3 years and 60 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

And he refused 80 million and 4 years from the team that he really wanted to play for. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Surprised he got 60 million in the end. Indians look very strong on paper.

Just reading about the contract it's 3 years at $2 million plus an option for 2020 or $5 million buyout, so he's guaranteed $65 million.

There's a report that Encarnacion wanted $100 million over 4 years with Blue Jays - so much for really wanting to play for the team.

I know it's Christmas so anything goes but I didn't expect to be reading about the Red Sox possibly playing the Yankees in London on the RTE website.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/us-sport/2016/1224/841091-red-sox-and-yankees-consider-london-series/

I know it's Christmas so anything goes but I didn't expect to be reading about the Red Sox possibly playing the Yankees in London on the RTE website.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/us-sport/2016/1224/841091-red-sox-and-yankees-consider-london-series/

Wrong NYC team for me, but I'd make the trip if it were the Mets:)

• Advertisement

And he refused 80 million and 4 years from the team that he really wanted to play for. The mind boggles.

He's moving to a good landing spot. Indians get stronger on that move, I think it's probably beneficial to both player and club.

Advertisement