Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Naas route advice

Options
  • 01-11-2016 8:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive had a look and can only see some old threads. Looking for some route options to get to Naas of a weekday morning starting from Santry area.

I want to avoid the n7 if at all possible, and would assume it to be mostly flat.

Ive to post something, but I've a day off and wanted to cycle too so looking at this as an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

If you are looking to avoid n7 then you could navigate to Rathcoole and take the road that runs (mostly) parallel through kill, johnstown, Naas. It's the route I generally take from Rathfarnham.

Otherwise Lucan, celbridge, clane, sallins, Naas would be completely flat route but a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In the past I've gone via Blanchardstown, Lucan, Newcastle, Rathcoole, Kilteel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ive had a look and can only see some old threads. Looking for some route options to get to Naas of a weekday morning starting from Santry area.

I want to avoid the n7 if at all possible, and would assume it to be mostly flat.

Ive to post something, but I've a day off and wanted to cycle too so looking at this as an option.

Blanch, Lucan, Maynooth, Straffan, Naas. That's how I'd go if looking to avoid the main roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers. I'll give them all a check on ridewithGPS when at a computer. I know my way to Maynooth certainly so that could be the best course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cheers. I'll give them all a check on ridewithGPS when at a computer. I know my way to Maynooth certainly so that could be the best course.

Maynooth to Straffan and on to Naas is fairly flat. About 15km IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Dunboyne,kilcock,clane, naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get to Lucan (via Blanch & Clonee?). Take the R136 to the N81. From there head into Saggart onto Kilteel, Kill, Johnstown and then Naas. There's a bit of a draggy climb from Saggart to Kilteel but nothing mental.

Alternatively, go through Phoenix Park, Ballyfermot, then hook up with the R136.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Try the Fratres Cruciferi Audax route. Guaranteed quiet, scenic and occasionally rough back roads. You don't have to do the whole 200km, just the bit to (near) Naas...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cheers more than enough suggestions there. Look at the the long heron audax route with the idea of doing it in reverse, that'd be overkill. Even if I don't head tomorrow, there's something there for me to tackle at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I did this not too long ago, out to Lucan then joined up with the Arthurs Way cycle trail for a while, past railway cottages etc on quiet roads to Sallins then Naas. Not the quickest but lovely boreens that I really want to get back to myself for another spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

FWIW - I used to cycle the Maynooth - Straffan - Kill road on a regular basis commuting to work. I'm back in D2 now and regularly cycle the N7, it actually feels safer to me.

If you were to go Newcastle - Rathcoole - Kill, you will have one hill to climb at Steelstown, just outside Rathcoole, it's actually quite steep from the Rathcoole side - not bad on the return though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just a little addition on the Maynooth-Naas section - depending on the time of day some of the roads can be quiet busy.

I'm in Naas and my mother in law is in Maynooth, so I do this route fairly frequently....

The most direct route (for me) is (@18km)- https://www.strava.com/activities/753671828

But my prefered route is a long longer (€26km), however there's much less traffic on this route - https://www.strava.com/activities/753486776

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

PaddyFagan wrote:
    But my prefered route is a long longer (€26km), however there's much less traffic on this route -

Have they resurfaced the road between Digby Bridge and naas lately? Was horrific last time I was on it! But otherwise a lovely quiet route out along the canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Grassey wrote: »
    Have they resurfaced the road between Digby Bridge and naas lately? Was horrific last time I was on it! But otherwise a lovely quiet route out along the canals.

No, but I've cycled on worse! It's easier since I swapped the road bike over to 25mm tyres. In general it's quiet enough that you can avoid the worst patches. That said I had one heart in my month moment last winter when I turned down off the bridge onto a sheet of ice, I was 100% sure I was going to end up in the canal, but kept it together and got home without a dip in the canal.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Whats the road immediately sw of the N7 like? to cycle?
    i.e. the parallel route from Naas through Johnstown and Kill and then towards Rathcoole, past Avoca shop to Sagart and in fortunestown lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Into town, run along the whole grand canal down to sallins & across into Naas, mostly very flat & conveniently quiet. A little overgrown in parts but a brilliant trail

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Whats the road immediately sw of the N7 like? to cycle?
    i.e. the parallel route from Naas through Johnstown and Kill and then towards Rathcoole, past Avoca shop to Sagart and in fortunestown lane?

Grand to cycle, surface on the latter part closer to Rathcoole is not fantastic, Windmill Hill is a slight hill in the way, nice surface on the way up from the Kill side. Road is narrow in places and on days when traffic is backed up on the N7 is used as a rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

my favourite route, not the quickest way but flat and quite roads.

https://www.strava.com/activities/340483416

Advertisement