Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow file copier.

Options
  • 01-11-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

All my internet searches come up as file copier too slow...

I need a small program that will copy files Slowly.
    I mean one at a time, maybe 1 per second, or that kind of speed.

Basically i have a program that will import the data from the old files, and delete them as they are processed.
    it has to run in the background, without hogging resources in use.

File sizes are approx 1Mb, and there is about 100,000 of them.

i did find one previously, but it couldn't handle the destination files being deleted by the import process.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

whizbang wrote: »
    All my internet searches come up as file copier too slow...

I need a small program that will copy files Slowly.
    I mean one at a time, maybe 1 per second, or that kind of speed.

Basically i have a program that will import the data from the old files, and delete them as they are processed.
    it has to run in the background, without hogging resources in use.

File sizes are approx 1Mb, and there is about 100,000 of them.

i did find one previously, but it couldn't handle the destination files being deleted by the import process.

thanks

It might be too early so forgive me but what is it you're trying to do? You have an existing program to import data from 100,000 1MB files and then delete them; where does the copying fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Apologies, The new server will pick off the files as they arrive into its temp import folder.

If i dump all files at once, the host will clog up and crash, so the only way i can figure it, is to copy the files from current storage to the temp folder at a slow enough rate to allow new server to work away without killing it.

The old files will be archived off once imported, but need to be kept for verification etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not aware of anything that does exactly what you need, but you could probably do something with a recurring scheduled task and a script.

Heck, even something like this would cover the basics:
    $list=Get-child item <path containing files>
    Foreach ($file in $list) {
        Copy-Item -path $file.Filepath -Destination <destination path>
        Start-Sleep 1
    }

But if you need the tool to clean up after itself (e.g. delete files after they have been imported) or deal with othrr possible issues like checking available space at the destination, it gets more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Whizz, just wondering if have you tried any of the following:
    1. Killcopy,
    2. Unstoppable Copier,
    3. TeraCopy,
    4. XXCopy
    5. or Ultracopier?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Robocopy/Synctoy and a NIC set to 10Mb only. Job done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Winscp

https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

and set it to whatever speed you want:

47yTRgB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Thanks for the suggestions folks, Oddly enough I found Fastcopy, which has speed control. Works perfectly.

Will have a look at SCP

Thanks all

Advertisement