Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to buy a lee enfield mark 4 to convert into sporting deer gun

Options
  • 01-11-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the situation is on buying/licencing a Lee Enfield .303

Questions:

How or where do I apply for a deer licence

Is it likely to be required that the gun be kept in a gun cab (I have a shotgun already)

What price would I be looking at for a low grade enfield (I intend to replace the stock with a sports stock)

Is there any chance I could re calibre the rifle to use .308 (easier to aquire ammo I hear)

All help is apreciated !

and if I'm totally wrong on anything up above that's why I came here I'm no expert !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Buy an Ishapore Arsenal No4 - already made from scratch in 7.62x51 NATO, and if you get it in from UK, also proofed for .308Win, which is actually more powerful than the service cartridge.

The rest of your questions I'll leave to those who live in Ireland.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sporterised lee enfields are dirt cheap on sites like guntrader uk -

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/enfield-lee/bolt-action/303/smle-160601150426015

You don't want to take a military lee enfield and hacksaw it down to a sporter. You would be taking a 500+ euro gun and converting it to a 200 euro gun. Why do you want to go with the .303 ? The choice of hunting ammunition is very limited compared to the other deer calibres. I am sure if you looked you would find a rough but serviceable deer rifle on a dealers shelf to suit you budget.

B-Square make a no-drill scope mount for the No4 rifle.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Thanks for the replies lads

I'm just looking for a lee enfield because I'm a history buff and I like the idea of tinkering with it myself (putting scope mounts on ect)

I wouldn't be putting a hacksaw to it as I was going to retain original look while adding sporting capability eg scope

tac foley wrote:
    B-Square make a no-drill scope mount for the No4 rifle.

This is why I was looking at the No.4 so I can pull off the scope if I feel like it and start using striper clips for the Craic without ireversably damaging the rifle

• Advertisement

Well i do know a few lads who were using the swedish mausers for deer shooting. The deer didn't seem to be able to tell the difference between being shot with a 60 year old rifle or a new one.

The 140gr bullet from the old 6.5x55 SE rifes and carbines has been the mainstay of elk culling since 1895. Averaging out at around 1400 pounds, they are somewhat bigger than anything found in Ireland that doesn't live in Dublin Zoo.

tac

gunny123 wrote:
    Well i do know a few lads who were using the swedish mausers for deer shooting. The deer didn't seem to be able to tell the difference between being shot with a 60 year old rifle or a new one.

All new and shiny is fine but I'd nearly be sure of people being more interested in this rifle as a show piece

Well each to their own i suppose, but i got tired of the gun oneupmanship game. "my rifle is more expensive than your rifle, and the maker will only sell you one if you are the seventh son of a seventh son", "my scope is the same one the sas used in afganistan", "my scope mounts cost a months wages", "my trigger guard is made of the same titanium-magnesium-carbon fibre-kryptonite material as the space shuttle".

All fine, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest anymore. One of the best stalkers i knew (he died a few years back) had a ratty cz .270 that someone had given him, his dog chewed the stock on him one night, so it was given a few turns of insulation tape, but he knocked more deer with that rifle than most of us will in a lifetime.

Advertisement