If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker recommendation for Yamaha RX-V673

Options
  • 01-11-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Courtesy of someone at work, I've laid my hands on a RX-V673 - a distinct upgrade (I hope!) from my existing Panasonic SA-PM31. Since my existing setup is something I'd consider an all-in-one, I don't have any speakers suitable for combining with the new amp.

I live in an apartment, and don't wish to deafen the neighbours. Use will be mostly music, with some DVD/TV watching. I have room for floor standing speakers, but don't really have a room that's conducive to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup - I'd have to put wires across the floor, and there's a large book case behind the sofa that's offset from where the amp and front speakers would be (I can provide a diagram if it'll help). Front speakers would be no more than 2 metres from the amp. There's room for a low profile sub under/ahead of where the amp will be, where low profile is 20 cm high.

Can you recommend a set of speakers that would fit a budget (including cabling, banana plugs etc) of ~600 EUR?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

cricalix wrote: »
    Courtesy of someone at work, I've laid my hands on a RX-V673 - a distinct upgrade (I hope!) from my existing Panasonic SA-PM31. Since my existing setup is something I'd consider an all-in-one, I don't have any speakers suitable for combining with the new amp.

I live in an apartment, and don't wish to deafen the neighbours. Use will be mostly music, with some DVD/TV watching. I have room for floor standing speakers, but don't really have a room that's conducive to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup - I'd have to put wires across the floor, and there's a large book case behind the sofa that's offset from where the amp and front speakers would be (I can provide a diagram if it'll help). Front speakers would be no more than 2 metres from the amp. There's room for a low profile sub under/ahead of where the amp will be, where low profile is 20 cm high.

Can you recommend a set of speakers that would fit a budget (including cabling, banana plugs etc) of ~600 EUR?
    Hi Cricalix.

The 673 are a great A/v Receiver.

You can run this amp in 2 channel stereo if you cant fit a 5.1 in.

You could also run 3.1 and leave out the rears giving front left and right and centre speaker. Then the sub as the .1

for Floorstanding speakers you could use the Yamaha NSP51 priced at £169.95 or 199.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201620-nsf51.aspx

Or the Mission MX3i coming in at £199.95 or 229.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201794-mx3i.aspx?swapstore=1

The Monitor Audio MR4 are priced at £279.00 or 369.99 euro ( I could offer these for £225 or 265.00 Euro as a boardie special)
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200806-mr4-black.aspx

If you wanted to use a centre speaker you could add the Monitor Audio MR Centre priced at £79.00 or 108 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12486-mr-centre.aspx?swapstore=1

For a Slimline sub there would be the Yamaha W050 priced at £69.00 or 99.99 Euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10571-ystfsw050.aspx?swapstore=1

Or to push the budget a little there would be the Q Acoustics 2070i sub woofer also slimline priced at £219.00 or 249.99 euro
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11480-2070i-gr.aspx?swapstore=1

Delivery would be £6.99 if paying in sterling or free on the Euro pricing.

With the MR4, Mr Centre and 2070i sub you would be looking at 622.99 Euro which is just a little over budget and would sound very nice indeed.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

From your neighbours point of view, the key element would be the sub I think - mids and highs tend not to travel through walls very well but a powered sub has the potential to shake their world up :)   None of the floor standers Kenny has linked to there require (or where designed to be used with I'd say) a sub woofer. From the point of view of TV watching you'd probably get better value out of a good centre rather than adding a sub to what would already be a powerful set of floor speakers.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    From your neighbours point of view, the key element would be the sub I think - mids and highs tend not to travel through walls very well but a powered sub has the potential to shake their world up :)   None of the floor standers Kenny has linked to there require (or where designed to be used with I'd say) a sub woofer. From the point of view of TV watching you'd probably get better value out of a good centre rather than adding a sub to what would already be a powerful set of floor speakers.
    Hi Phibsboro.

The 673 needs a powered subwoofer to give a true bass tone. A non power sub could only connect to the front left or right speaker terminal and this is not how the 673 is designed to run. This would only give the same tone as the front speakers which would be pointless and not sound correct.
    The only passive sub we sell is a £4.99 Pioneer, all our others are active.

All the speakers I have linked to above have been designed to run with a subwoofer, yes you may not require one but they are designed to run along side one. Monitor Audio even design a subwoofer for the MR range the MRW10.

The OP asked for options including a sub which is what I quoted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Thank you for those ideas :) I'll go consult the wallet and the spec sheets and see what makes sense.

cricalix wrote: »
    Thank you for those ideas :) I'll go consult the wallet and the spec sheets and see what makes sense.
    No worries at all Cricalix.

Should any questions pop up drop me a post.

• Advertisement

<Snipped by Moderator

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Phibsboro,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer, this is not a discussion forum so whether your opinion is valid or otherwise, it is not appropriate to pitch in your opinion or your advice here. If you want to offer Boardies your AV related advice, feel free to visit the Boards Home Entertainment forums.

I've snipped your post directly above this one, I've left your other post in place to leave the sense of the other posts on the thread intact.

If you have any queries about this feel free to PM me after you've had a read of the Charter - please do not take this thread off-topic by discussing the Charter here.

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Phibsboro,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum - queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer, this is not a discussion forum so whether your opinion is valid or otherwise, it is not appropriate to pitch in your opinion or your advice here. If you want to offer Boardies your AV related advice, feel free to visit the Boards Home Entertainment forums.

I've snipped your post directly above this one, I've left your other post in place to leave the sense of the other posts on the thread intact.

If you have any queries about this feel free to PM me after you've had a read of the Charter - please do not take this thread off-topic by discussing the Charter here.

Ritz.
    Sorry, my fault. I picked it up from the front page, you might consider not showing these Talk To.. posts on the front page. Off to HE with me! :p

Phibsboro wrote: »
    The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Phibsboro,

Ritz.
    Sorry, my fault. I picked it up from the front page, you might consider not showing these Talk To.. posts on the front page. Off to HE with me! :p
    No worries at all Phibsboro ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.