Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring modifications

Options
  • 01-11-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

I'm considering tinting the back 3 windows and getting lowering springs. I have alloys which are already declared. The alloys cost me nothing to declare. Even though I was fearing the worst. I'm also wondering is it better to declare separate or both together. Any other advice you may have I would be glad to hear it. :) thanks

Edit: I'm insured with FBD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

job seeker wrote: »
    I'm considering tinting the back 3 windows and getting lowering springs. I have alloys which are already declared. The alloys cost me nothing to declare. Even though I was fearing the worst. I'm also wondering is it better to declare separate or both together. Any other advice you may have I would be glad to hear it. :) thanks

Edit: I'm insured with FBD

The mods insurers are concerned with are ones that alter the vehicle performance.

Alloys and tinted windows do not alter the vehicle mechanically.

Lowering the suspension IMO doesn't either.

However you may be asked to produce an engineers report confirming the alteration was made by a reputable garage.

Its always better to declare anything you aren't 100% sure on. Insurers will generally have a caveat in their policy to the effect of "if you aren't sure if you should declare something its better if you do because in the event of a claim we may not be able to provide indemnity if you do not"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.google.com/search?q=modifications+site:fbd.ie
    You will find some PDFs

Tbh, mail and ask so you have their answer by mail.
    Don't ring and get some vague promise over the phone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Alloys may make the car more attractive to a thief. Lowering springs will change the handling characteristics of the car.

Always declare mods irrespective of how minor they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

+1 about declaring to avoid doubt.

Side issue : are there any NCT implications in relation to tinting of windows ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    +1 about declaring to avoid doubt.

Side issue : are there any NCT implications in relation to tinting of windows ?

If they are too dark then yes. There's detail on the NCT website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

The mods insurers are concerned with are ones that alter the vehicle performance.

However you may be asked to produce an engineers report confirming the alteration was made by a reputable garage.

Its always better to declare anything you aren't 100% sure on. Insurers will generally have a caveat in their policy to the effect of "if you aren't sure if you should declare something its better if you do because in the event of a claim we may not be able to provide indemnity if you do not"

Alloys IMO do alter the performance of the car as they alter the handling of the car especially when you you change tyre sizes.
    I went from 14s to 15s on a golf and the car handled way different after. A lot more understeer /better grip when accelerating /braking
    FBD at the time had no issue with genuine vw alloys but wanted 50euro more if they were non genuine. Policy was TPF&t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi Saul T

The engineers report, can that be gotten from an indie mechanic?

Oh I'd definitely declare any mods. I know of people who are driving around whith mods undeclared. It's just a chance I wouldn't take. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi Saul T

The engineers report, can that be gotten from an indie mechanic?

Oh I'd definitely declare any mods. I know of people who are driving around whith mods undeclared. It's just a chance I wouldn't take. :o

Once they are registered and you are getting the signed declaration/report on headed paper, signed by the mechanic then there shouldn't be any issue.

Advertisement