Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does downloading open office void warranty?

Options
  • 01-11-2016 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

My aunt, who is 65 years old and a bit naïve with technology and consumer rights, was in a certain shop that sells computers and electronics. She uses word and powerpoint (her nephew teaches her a thing or two).

She was buying a new laptop in this new place and was offered MS package. She asked "can I not just download open office". She was told that if she downloads open office, it'll void the warranty, including the hard drive warranty.
    She was told that her warranty won't be valid either if she doesn't buy McAffee Antivirus.

I think she's been taken for a fool, and I'm furious about this and the abuse and taking advantage of an older lady like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

dfeo wrote: »
    My aunt, who is 65 years old and a bit naïve with technology and consumer rights, was in a certain shop that sells computers and electronics. She uses word and powerpoint (her nephew teaches her a thing or two).

She was buying a new laptop in this new place and was offered MS package. She asked "can I not just download open office". She was told that if she downloads open office, it'll void the warranty, including the hard drive warranty.
    She was told that her warranty won't be valid either if she doesn't buy McAffee Antivirus.

I think she's been taken for a fool, and I'm furious about this and the abuse and taking advantage of an older lady like this.

I would make a complaint to head office as that is pure bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Absolute hore****.

Take your money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Sounds like a con - and total nonsense. They might mean... they don't support it?

One caveat though, for some who is 65, its better for her to use software she knows. Open office will just work a bit differently than Ms Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

They are just trying to get you to buy the MS office from them so they can get commission. I would go in there and chew the bollix off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Its complete and utter bull. Thats just aggressive sales trying to frce stuff on her. No way can that void the warranty. In that case you cant download anything. I would tell them it is completely unacceptable. Id demand to speak to their manager as they may be unaware of a paticular staff members sales technique. If not just for your aunt but for anybody not tech savvy that goes in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I would make a complaint to head office as that is pure bull.

truthfully a post on their Twitter feed will probably get you a better response

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's more commission in the AV and 1 year 365 pack than the laptop (some places wouldn't even have any on the laptop these days) so they'll say whatever the hell they think they can get away with assuming it'll never come back.

Complaint to management/head office, all over Twitter if its chain of any scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

..........She was told that her warranty won't be valid either if she doesn't buy McAffee Antivirus...............

Paste this in their wall

John McAfee: McAfee antivirus is one of the worst products on the planet

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-mcafee-antivirus-one-worst-products-planet-1516462

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

turbot wrote: »
    Sounds like a con - and total nonsense. They might mean... they don't support it?

One caveat though, for some who is 65, its better for her to use software she knows. Open office will just work a bit differently than Ms Office.

She obviously had knowledge of the software, else how could she ask about it?
    She asked "can I not just download open office".

This kind of sales technique needs to be stomped on wherever found ...... with the heaviest boot available! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

That sale person needs to be reported . I'd kick such a fuss , as it blatant ageism , and maybe they end up give you office or Norton for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

gctest50 wrote: »
    Paste this in their wall
    John McAfee: McAfee antivirus is one of the worst products on the planet

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee...planet-1516462

Now in fairness he has a beef with Intel, so of course he is going to say that!!! :rolleyes:

I personally dislike the bloated behemoths that McAfee, Norton, et al have become. I use the free version of Avast, but only the AV part of it (none of that safe shopping shyte for me ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

- The store's social media
    - The store manager and/or head office
    - The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission
    - RTE's The Consumer Show
    - Age Action Ireland (less so but good to make them aware of it perhaps)

All of these would be hearing from me if a vulnerable person, in the sense of not being technologically knowledgeable, I know was treated like you've described. It is important people report such cases, beyond just complaining to the shop directly, as trends and bad actors in the market can then be identified. The above bodies also give advice on how to complain effectively along with Citizens Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i concur. if you dont speak up this sales person will continue to lie and cheat vulnerable consumers.

please formally report to management - and demand a formal response. if you dont get satisfaction go to head office etc. it really is the principle of the matter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can we name and shame?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Skerries wrote: »
    can we name and shame?

Please don't.

Advertisement