Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens Shotgun

Options
  • 01-11-2016 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Ok so a few weeks ago I started a thread on what type of wellies to buy for shooting and got some great advice and now things have progressed rapidly and I'm looking at buying a shotgun ideally light with low recoil and cheap <500 if possible

I couldn't find any threads on here but surly I'm not the first women to buy a shotgun for shooting so any advise from other women shooters or from the men who bought guns for their OH.

I've done a bit of online research and 20g guns seem to be recommended alot esp remington 1187 and 870.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If your worried about the recoil beretta have a "kick off" system available on their 12g A400 range of guns. I have been doing a bit of research myself lately on shotguns with low recoil as I have a shoulder injury which I thought up till now would prevent my from shooting clays. I have yet to try one out but the point I'm making is there are options out there if you do a bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    If your worried about the recoil beretta have a "kick off" system available on their 12g A400 range of guns. I have been doing a bit of research myself lately on shotguns with low recoil as I have a shoulder injury which I thought up till now would prevent my from shooting clays. I have yet to try one out but the point I'm making is there are options out there if you do a bit of research.

I have the A400 semi 12g and the kick off is brilliant would highly recommend it. You will probably struggle to find one below 500 tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

A 20 bore would also be a lot lighter to carry than a 12.

What type of shooting do you intend to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

Will be shooting ducks, pheasants and other birds.

pm. wrote: »
    I have the A400 semi 12g and the kick off is brilliant would highly recommend it. You will probably struggle to find one below 500 tho?

Which A400 is it? The only one I can find for sale in Ireland is the Xtreme in a cammo version.

• Advertisement

What's the best website for looking up guns available in Ireland new and secondhand

There are very few dealers that have decent websites for this purpose. If you google gun dealers Ireland you will get about 4 or 5 websites you can look through. Sportsden in Navan have a decent one. Best bet is you tube and do a bit of research first then visit your local RFD preferably with a clay shooting range attached so you can actually try before you buy as such.

Where will I find a list of Irish RFD??

Google can be your friend. I remember a while back Cass posted a list of RFDs on here I'm sure if you do a search you will come across his post. Where are you located are you prepared to travel if needs be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

First of all, welcome to the addiction. :D It always starts with something simple , like a pair of wellies.
    Look under my post to my signature line. You'll find many links to RFDs, online shops, ranges, etc, etc. Simply click on each one and find the nearest one tto you or the thread for the online shops.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Id just bite the bullet, and go for a 12g. Don't worry to much about kick etc, just look for a gun that fits you well. There's lots of nice light gun's out there these days, compared to what was available when I was a young lad. That's a long time ago. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

What part of the country are you in,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Best thing to do if you are planning to take up the sport is to take shooting lessons from a shooting coach.
    With regard to guns buy the best you can afford and get fitted for it.
    Good luck, one less of them one more of us!!!

ronn wrote:
    What part of the country are you in,

Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Offaly

I can't help ya, but I'm sure someone will be on to point you to a decent local RFD,

Athlone would be your best bet. You've got Wild Hunter, and Mc Brides. Also, Mulvihill's in Ballymahon has some very reasonabley priced, new and secondhand gun's.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

You could also call into Nial Kirwan in Dalystown,

http://www.lakelandshootingcentre.ie/

a gentleman to deal with and would have plenty of choice.

Drop into the MNSCI range any Saturday or Sunday. There is a clay range, tuition and an on site RFD. So you can try out some shooting and perhaps find something that suits.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Drop into the MNSCI range any Saturday or Sunday. There is a clay range, tuition and an on site RFD. So you can try out some shooting and perhaps find something that suits.

Cass, do they actually sell gun' there? I knew he sold ammo, but heard nothing about gun's. I actually live about three miles down the road from it, but have to admit, I've never set good in the place.

Yup.

They store firearms for members, and sell them for members too. However they have a range of firearms for sale from rifles to shotguns. Now to what extent that is i don't know. The armory is pretty full and i've never asked for someone to point out what is for sale and what is in storage, but they do sell guns.

I've seen FTR rifle, hunting rifles, rimfire, etc new and second hand for sale before.

• Advertisement

I still find it hard to believe that a lot of RFDs don't have a decent website. Even trying to get prices on ammo etc reminds me of the old day's leafing through the phone book and sitting there with a pen and paper. Am I missing something, is there a reason lads won't use the web to advertise what they have for sale. The only explanation I can think of is security reasons but there has to be more to it than that.

Spent 6 hours out shooting about 4.5 with a 12 bore and rest with a 20 bore and I can definitely say I will be purchasing a 20 bore. Was much lighter to carry could get 3 shots in instead of 2 and virtually no recoil!
    Winged a pheasant with the 20 bore too but silly dog caught him and let him go never to be seen again !!
    20 bore was a bit more tricky to load but I'm sure it just takes getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

I've done a bit of online research and 20g guns seem to be recommended alot esp remington 1187 and 870.

The 1100 and 1187 are both auto's, the 870 is a pump. The pump will be a bit of a drawback on the clay line shooting doubles.

I shoot my 20ga better than any 12ga in trap and skeet.

The 20ga is lighter and shorter. Thus, making it easier to swing. If you have to catch up and swing through, the 20 ga is much easier than the 12ga.

Was just about to ask...
    Will be shooting ducks, pheasants and other birds.
    Hmmmm... Tough call now.

I've shot ducks tried to shoot ducks in and around the Shannon with a 12ga and wished I had magnums. They are the most skitterish ducks I have seen in the world. Don't know what ye be doing to them! Deer aren't that nervous in my neck of the woods!

I would not recommend the 20ga if ducks will be a major concern.

Pheasants wouldn't worry me too much as again, the lighter, shorter gun will be easier to snap-to target and swing through.
    Offaly

Try Mulvihill's on the road from Ballymahon to Lanesborough. Great selection to shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I've used a 20 bore in times past, never an issue with them when shooting phesant etc. Duck might be more of a challenge, but with the right ammunition, no major reason why it can't be done at reasonable height. As others here have already mentioned, the 20 bore tends to be lighter and shorter, so nice if your out carrying it for a few hours.

I would suggest you get on the phone to a half dozen of the gun clubs, as many have guns for sale - often owned by other club members and sometimes you can pick up a decent second hand gun at a reasonable price. While the club will be getting a few quid for selling a members gun, there's also often more room to negotiate, particuarly if the member wants to release funds quickly to help pay for something else they have fallen in love with. Finally, there's obviously also the benefit of being able to try before you buy with second hand guns at a gun club, not all shops have facilities as readily available.

As others here have said, it's a real shame with regards to the lack of decent websites showing all available stock. While I appreciate that there's work in keeping websites up to date with regards to second hand stock, it would certainly be a service many shooters would appreciate and I would have thought, help with more sales.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Clarkes in Navan have four 20 Bore shot guns listed on their website. From 250 Euro to 1800 Euro.
    I was in the shop last Thursday, and I would estimate that there is probably as many more guns there as what is listed, so a phone call to Stephen might throw up more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The best website I find for checking out guns is the "www.ring and drive there to view it.com":P.Seriously,if you are looking for any type of gun here,it's best to go and look and try it out in person,for the time and money spent it's worth it.
    As for a 20 GA taking ducks and geese even ..Why not?So long as you are a bit quicker on the trigger,and can estimate distances better for a good clean shot. A 20 magnum will do what a std 12gauge will with less hurt to your shoulder.
    BTW RE Remington 1100 and 870 in 20 GA.Nothing wrong with them,they are solid pieces of work,but might be a tad hard to find as the majority are 12 GA here.20 ga here seems to be all twin tubes of various different types.
    Lightest one I've ever handled here and was a real cutie was the French" Baby Breton", An Over under you pulled apart to load and eject,it came in a neat case with a spare 20 ga slug barrel and was designed specifically for people of a slight build.Haven't seen one in yonks tho. Hence ,I say drive around,you might find somthing that you weren't looking for but you "connect with" when you see and pick it up.You'll know and understand what I'm on about when it happens.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The best website I find for checking out guns is the "www.ring and drive there to view it.com":P. .....

Only problem is there's a significant amount of time involved and often wasted using that approach (not to mention the cost of fuel and phonecalls) ;)

By all means, go and handle a gun to see if it fits you and preferably shoot it, before you buy... but it's wrong to expect people to spend a fortune on phonecalls and travel costs unnecessarily and that can often happen (due to fellas down the end of a phone trying to get people into their shops under false pretences).

Thanks,

G.

Was in MC Grahams in Monaghan town last week, and they have a very nice Beretta semi-auto on the shelf.
    I think they had an O/U as well, but didn't pay it much attention.
    A bit of a drive away from Offaly, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

garrettod wrote: »
    Only problem is there's a significant amount of time involved and often wasted using that approach (not to mention the cost of fuel and phonecalls) ;)

By all means, go and handle a gun to see if it fits you and preferably shoot it, before you buy... but it's wrong to expect people to spend a fortune on phonecalls and travel costs unnecessarily and that can often happen (due to fellas down the end of a phone trying to get people into their shops under false pretences).

And it can work the other way too..You can make an old clunker look great with the right lighting and angle .Thing is doing somthing crooked like that,will get you a reputation of the wrong kind very fast. I have had two experiances of that with cars,and I fuked both sellers out of it big time after a three hour drive both ways.If it is over an hours drive either way,I ring them and tell them I'm on the way and is this item still in the shop/yard and I expect to see it when I get there at X time of arrival. Each to their own,but me personally,I would never again part with good money on the word of the seller or a net picture for anything in Ireland ever again.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Went to look at a Baikal semi auto, and the guy then tells. me "it must be sold". So i am looking at a Remington etc, and every gun has a price tag on the trigger guard. Then he suddenly exclaims from behind me" oh look, here it is".
    As he hands it to me, i see the thread off the price tag sticking out of his hand, and no tag on the gun. How much is it? i ask . His price had magically gone up to 600, when the website that morning had it at 499!
    Left him. with it, as he thinks so much of it!

Advertisement