Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire a light from a socket

Options
  • 02-11-2016 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to set my old man up with some power in his shed. I plan to run a feed from a socket in his sitting room and put a new socket in his shed. Not a problem, I've wired loads of sockets before so quite happy doing this.

Then want to take a feed from the socket in the shed and wire a couple of lights up, am I correct in saying I need to use a fused switch and a normal light switch will not do?

That's seems to be what is in my own shed anyway and I'm looking to set my old man up. Actually can you get 2gang fused switches? I've only a single in my own shed

Any help and guidance is much appreciated, as I've never wired new lights before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Please just let someone who is competent in this kind of work do the job. It is so much cheaper in the long run instead of wondering if you have done it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would you not bring a feed from the Fuse box/consumer unit? Perhaps it is it the other side of your house?
    Otherwise, if your dad causes the circuit breaker to trip, he will lose lights as well as sockets.

This is a great little book. Worth buying, or your library might have a copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Which-Book-Wiring-Lighting/dp/0852028172

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Just got a socket and a light installed into my shed, 270 euro for a proper job.
    Yes you will need a fused switch atleast 10 amps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

http://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-13a-1-gang-switched-fuse-connection-unit-black-nickel/62448

This is more or less what I have in my own shed.

Can you get one of these with 2 switches?

astraj wrote: »
    Please just let someone who is competent in this kind of work do the job. It is so much cheaper in the long run instead of wondering if you have done it right.
    Quite happy to do it myself thanks
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Would you not bring a feed from the Fuse box/consumer unit? Perhaps it is it the other side of your house?
    Otherwise, if your dad causes the circuit breaker to trip, he will lose lights as well as sockets.

This is a great little book. Worth buying, or your library might have a copy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Which-Book-Wiring-Lighting/dp/0852028172

Running about 25 meters of cable from the back of his house to shed for the socket. Of course the fuse box is round the front :rolleyes: Socket won't be used that often and there will be no extra loads, just saves running extensions out to the garden for the likes of his stammer etc. So I don't think there is much chance of it tripping.
    Boaty wrote: »
    Just got a socket and a light installed into my shed, 270 euro for a proper job.
    Yes you will need a fused switch atleast 10 amps

Bought the cable & sockets today for less than 30 quid. Already had a couple of lights hanging around. Big difference there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Seve OB wrote: »
    I have to be honest - astraj is correct that you lack the competence to do this job safely and in compliance with the National Wiring Rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Running about 25 meters of cable from the back of his house to shed for the socket. Of course the fuse box is round the front :rolleyes: Socket won't be used that often and there will be no extra loads, just saves running extensions out to the garden for the likes of his stammer etc. So I don't think there is much chance of it tripping.

Bought the cable & sockets today for less than 30 quid. Already had a couple of lights hanging around. Big difference there.

It is fairly easy to make sockets and lights work but making them work safely is the reason for electrical apprenticeships.
    It seems your mind is made up but hopefully you don't end up regretting your choice one day.
    I just know as a qualified electrician I would not even consider doing this job the way you are doing it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I would also take a new supply from the main distribution board and put a small sub distribution board in the shed.

Taking a feed from a socket is not good practice.

So does everyone always run two feeds out to a garden shed? I've seen plenty of sheds wired in my time but never any which had 2 feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Put the lights on a socket. With a 3 pin plug.

I have a 10m LED string plugged in via a 12v psu. No need for the 10A Breaker which i also have in the shed.
    Looks great going around the inside wall and ceiling of the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Seve OB wrote:
    So does everyone always run two feeds out to a garden shed? I've seen plenty of sheds wired in my time but never any which had 2 feeds

No people pop a small fuseboard in, there's a few examples in the excellent post sticky.

Regarding lights from a socket cct. I've seen a fused spur cabled from a socket. Fused down to 5amps to feed a light switch and fitting.

I agree with the posts above that an electrician is required to complete this job correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Nobody has suggested running 2 feeds. The correct way to do this job is to take a feed from the consumer unit in the house using a correctly rated cable and on its own correctly rated circuit breaker. This feed is then connected to a new smaller fuseboard in the shed. From this new board in the shed all your sockets and lights can be fed using seperate breakers for lights and sockets including rcd protection.
    You can choose to do it whatever way you want but as you have shown to have a lack of basic knowledge on how to do the job I would advise against you doing it but feel free to ignore any advice given.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mrplod

It is illegal for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out electrical work in your home* or to portray themselves as being registered.
    The CER have already had a case where a man was given six months in prison for this type of illegal work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Presumably they were someone paid to do the job, hardly the homeowner?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mrplod wrote: »
    It is illegal for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out electrical work in your home

Not entirely correct. A competent person is permitted to carry out some electrical work in domestic installations.

Restricted Electrical Works is covered extensively in the forum charter with links to relevant documents and an email from CER providing further clarification.

Mod note: Please do not derail threads by discussing it here.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mrplod

Happy to discuss it where ever you name. Quite convenient of you to delete the post where I describe the works as controlled works and then contradict me. Abuse of Mod powers I think! Should I raise this issue further up the ladder and report what I feel is abuse? Reinsert my post and I am happy to have a forum discussion with you on the matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Happy to discuss it where ever you name. Quite convenient of you to delete the post where I describe the works as controlled works and then contradict me. Abuse of Mod powers I think! Should I raise this issue further up the ladder and report what I feel is abuse? Reinsert my post and I am happy to have a forum discussion with you on the matter.

Feel free to take it off thread - and maybe re-read the site terms of use you agreed to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It is illegal for anyone other than a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out electrical work in your home* or to portray themselves as being registered.
    The CER have already had a case where a man was given six months in prison for this type of illegal work.
    If it's plugged into a socket it's an extension lead and not illegal for someone to plug in.

Advertisement