Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter cycling jersey how tight should it be?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am size small but this small one which I bought on internet is skin tight. Feels tight especially around shoulders and tight but wearable in the neck (when fully zip-up).

Was thinking of sending it back and getting a medium instead but then I read an article saying that skin tight jerseys can give you up to 58secs advantage over a slightly loose jersey in 40km (with winds at 50km/hr). I am into racing but that got me thinking......
    Only another article was saying that if a jersey zip-up then it fits.

So my question is: how tight do you wear your winter long sleeves jersey?
    And: would you order medium if you were me and compare it to the small size?

Source: http://www.stickybottle.com/uncategorized/video-loose-vs-tighter-jerseys-tested-in-a-wind-tunnel-energy-saved-time-gained-is-huge/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

Galego wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am size small but this small one which I bought on internet is skin tight. Feels tight especially around shoulders and tight but wearable in the neck (when fully zip-up).

Was thinking of sending it back and getting a medium instead but then I read an article saying that skin tight jerseys can give you up to 58secs advantage over a slightly loose jersey in 40km (with winds at 50km/hr). I am into racing but that got me thinking......
    Only another article was saying that if a jersey zip-up then it fits.

So my question is: how tight do you wear your winter long sleeves jersey?
    And: would you order medium if you were me and compare it to the small size?

Source: http://www.stickybottle.com/uncategorized/video-loose-vs-tighter-jerseys-tested-in-a-wind-tunnel-energy-saved-time-gained-is-huge/

I try to get all jerseys to be a snug fit , not too tight and not too loose. I'm coming from opposite scale to you, from XL to L size. Sizing can be out a bit though, most L are snug now, but one recent purchase is a bit loose, have not worn it yet, but it was a cheap and cheerful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you are looking for warmth, go looser. Tighter is for speed and looks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Are you going to be racing over the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Are you going to be racing over the winter?

Not really so no point to keep this one which skin tight.

I think I may order it in medium and then compare it. Sometimes when I go a size up then they go from one extreme to other.....meaning too loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Galego wrote: »
    Was thinking of sending it back and getting a medium instead but then I read an article saying that skin tight jerseys can give you up to 58secs advantage over a slightly loose jersey in 40km (with winds at 50km/hr).

I'd imagine that the figure above is measured at TT effort by a near professional level cyclist.

Comfort is my first concern for winter wear, you don't want something that's going to feel restrictive and uncomfortable but saying that, it also depends on the jersey in question. I have a Gabba2 and its skin tight but also very comfortable however its designed to fit like that. I have other winter jackets/jerseys which are less tight fitting but warmer than the Gabba.

If the jersey is comfortable and you can wear a base layer or two underneath it without discomfort or feeling like your stitched into it then keep it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

littlebigmom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Just my own 2c - for me I prefer jersey's tight - my favorite winter jersey is just large enough that I can wear a compression baselayer under it - for me it gives me more options for wearing jackets etc.

From the Op's description, sounds about the same level as the one you've bought - but ultimately it has to be something you're comfortable wearing. If you're not 100% happy, it will become another reason not to go out - which is the last thing you want in the winter when the weather will give you lots of excuses.

Paddy

Advertisement