Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New chain lubing question?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I had a new KMC X10SL chain fitted to my roadbike two weeks ago. Have cycled 300kms. in dry conditions since then and I am wondering if I should clean off and re-lube the chain at this stage and revert to a normal lubing routine?

I normally use dry lube and I would have lubed at least twice in this time with the old chain but not sure if I should remove the lube, which appears to be of a thicker consistency, than the one I normally use? Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I was told leave it for as long as absolutely possible. Once you start the first clean and re-lube you'll be back to doing it regularly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I noticed original lube lasts longer. I changed the chain 500+km ago, but it's still relatively clean and silent. I usually re-lube every 250-300km.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Original chain lube is usually good stuff. It is thicker than the lube you'd buy and sticky - if you leave it on a mountain bike, you'll be taking half the forest home with you so for MTB, I take it off straight away and put on my own wet lube.

For a road bike however, usually fine to leave it on until it starts to go minging, then degrease thoroughly and start your own lubing routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've had mixed experience with the "lube" that new chains come coated in. Some works well, some doesn't. I've found it varies by brand, presumably because different manufacturers use different "lube".

I'm not even sure it's correct to call it "lube", it might just be there to keep the chain from rusting and it's ability to function as a lube might be minimal at best.

Basically, I'd clean and re-lube it.

Advertisement