Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIBO, FODMAPS - clinician recommendations

• 02-11-2016 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26

Has anyone here been diagnosed with SIBO? (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) I've been dealing with some really bad digestive issues lately (pregnancy-level bloating when I eat) which is really affecting my day to day life. Having done a lot of research, I have come to think that there is a strong possibility this may be the cause.

I'm considering getting the hydrogen breath test done through Gastrolife. I'm unsure of what path to take if the test were to come back positive though - I am keen to talk with a doctor/dietitian with experience of dealing with SIBO. There are antibiotic treatments available but I cant find much online info of any doctors who are knowledgable in the area.

I think a low FODMAP elimination diet is probably on the cards too to establish what is triggering symptoms, and plan on visiting a dietitian regarding this. Ideally I would talk to someone knowledgable about both (and with the ability to prescribe treatment if required or able to refer me to someone that can).

If anyone has been through similar and could provide any advice or recommendations at all, I'd really like to hear from you - I'm finding it pretty difficult to find information on who I should be talking to regarding all this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sublime1

Hi,

did you get no help at all with this? Friend of mine is having similar symptoms, and doesn't know where to turn for help.

How are you doing now?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Adini wrote: »
    Has anyone here been diagnosed with SIBO? (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) I've been dealing with some really bad digestive issues lately (pregnancy-level bloating when I eat) which is really affecting my day to day life. Having done a lot of research, I have come to think that there is a strong possibility this may be the cause.

I'm considering getting the hydrogen breath test done through Gastrolife. I'm unsure of what path to take if the test were to come back positive though - I am keen to talk with a doctor/dietitian with experience of dealing with SIBO. There are antibiotic treatments available but I cant find much online info of any doctors who are knowledgable in the area.

I think a low FODMAP elimination diet is probably on the cards too to establish what is triggering symptoms, and plan on visiting a dietitian regarding this. Ideally I would talk to someone knowledgable about both (and with the ability to prescribe treatment if required or able to refer me to someone that can).

If anyone has been through similar and could provide any advice or recommendations at all, I'd really like to hear from you - I'm finding it pretty difficult to find information on who I should be talking to regarding all this.

Elaine Macgowan in limerick can provide advice about low fodmap diet.

No idea about sibo. Similar symptoms plus vomiting were diagnosed as functional bowel disorder in the cases I'm familiar with. This is ibs in an extreme form.

Don't eat onions. They seem to be the worst.

Prioritise getting enough sleep and managing/reducing stress.

Advertisement