Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Mayo

• 02-11-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I have decided to move to Mayo after 20 years and had more or less decided on Claremorris but am not too keen on the whole boys only secondary school , would prefer mixed . So I guess what Im looking for is advice on whether its possible to live in claremorris and maybe attend another secondary school ?
    My number 2 choice of location is Turlough in Castlebar but I am not familiar with primary or secondary schools , any advice appreciated
    Have I put this post in the wrong place - sorry just joined

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So I have decided to move to Mayo after 20 years and had more or less decided on Claremorris but am not too keen on the whole boys only secondary school , would prefer mixed . So I guess what Im looking for is advice on whether its possible to live in claremorris and maybe attend another secondary school ?
    My number 2 choice of location is Turlough in Castlebar but I am not familiar with primary or secondary schools , any advice appreciated

Balla seconday school is your nearest mixed school option, only about 15 mins from claremorris and a mixed school.

turlough would be served by either balla or davitt college in castlebar.

check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭TENHNY

like that i have recently relocated, we decided kiltamagh school.
    How would kids get to school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I attended St Colmans for a couple years and found it a very good school, although that was a few years ago.

May I ask why you don't want your boys attending an all boys school? Just curious, have no opinion on it either way!

As mentioned above the one thing I would recommend you seriously consider is the journey back and over to Balla/Kiltimagh etc. That'll get fairly repetitive very quickly!

Ballinrobe Community School 13 miles away, maybe another option for you.

Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pickelpickle

where did you relocate from and where are you now ? Did it all work out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pickelpickle

where did you move to ? Sorry Ive only just joined Boards and havent got the hang of the quote thing yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

If you're going to Turlough then you would use the Castlebar schools. St.Geralds is all boys, St.Josephs is all girls & Davitt College is mixed.
    It is generally considered that Geralds & Josephs are the better school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

If you're going to Turlough then you would use the Castlebar schools. St.Geralds is all boys, St.Josephs is all girls & Davitt College is mixed.
    It is generally considered that Geralds & Josephs are the better school.

Maybe it used to be considered that way but not in years. Davitt College has come leaps and bounds with Bernie Rowland and that's evident in the several new extensions needed to deal with the larger classes. From what I've heard they're getting far more enrolments than St. Josephs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Aeternum wrote: »
    Maybe it used to be considered that way but not in years. Davitt College has come leaps and bounds with Bernie Rowland and that's evident in the several new extensions needed to deal with the larger classes. From what I've heard they're getting far more enrolments than St. Josephs anyway.

You're way off the mark here I'm afraid. Both Gerald's and Joseph's have had to put a cap on their numbers this year due to demand: Geralds at 120 and Jospeh's at 100.

ThE issue with Joe's a few years ago was management.

Check out the league tables for the school in your area and see how they compare. Stats don't lie in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Back To OP.
    Turlough (close to where I grew up) is a very small village.
    Claremorris is a small town but still much more than a village.

However cosidering schools, there is school bus to castlebar from turlough where there is mixed school.
    I'm not sure if there is a bus to Balla Secondary school, I'd check that.
    Balla would be the nearest secondary school, Kiltimagh is next.

Be no harm in calling them and asking do they offer bus runs, I'm sure theres other parents in claremorris that wants their kids in mixed school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Having attended both Balla and Kiltimagh schools and having to leave the former due to bullying, i would recommend Kiltimagh. If you want specifics, PM me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

**MOD NOTE: Gone totally off topic of what the OP asked. No more discussion of this on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

yop wrote: »
    **MOD NOTE: Gone totally off topic of what the OP asked. No more discussion of this on this thread.

Wow... all my posts removed ... all contained referrences to scientific data relatin to the issue of single sex and mixed schools. and the op's opening lines were:

"and had more or less decided on Claremorris but am not too keen on the whole boys only secondary school , would prefer mixed . "

Meanwhile 80's childs post remains, despite their ad homenim attacks, goalpost moving and non-referenced statistics.

Who polices the police? Who teaches you about logic, fallacy and argument? Who teaches you about "organic development of discussion"?

No wonder boards is losing out so much to other social media.

Dont bother with any ban theats, why would I bother waste my time with a so obviously flawed moderation policy?

The cheek of removing a contributors post wihout warning. I guess you feel thisnis your Facebook page or something?

And I could care less for any self-protecting official complaints mechanism ..... dont fool yourselves... keep it up and become irrelevant

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Niall Keane banned

Advertisement