Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Genius of Mesut Ozil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MD1990 wrote: »
    I underlined & bolded what part of the post I was referring to. Very easy to see.
    I know. And he was referencing Ozil. Not Coutinho. Not everything is about Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

greendom wrote: »
    Was it a Daily Mail journalist who said that Ozil was "nicking a living"

Adrian Durham I'd say.

Hes got the most punchable, smug face on the planet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Adrian Durham I'd say.

Hes got the most punchable, smug face on the planet too.

Good shout but I just looked it up; it was Neil Ashton...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578661/INSIDE-TRACK-Mesut-Ozil-cost-Arsenal-42-5m-isnt-worth-two-bob.html

He did comment since that he regretted those comments - something Durham would probably never do

http://dailycannon.com/2015/12/neil-ashton-reveals-ozil-comment-regret/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

greendom wrote: »
    Good shout but I just looked it up; it was Neil Ashton...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2578661/INSIDE-TRACK-Mesut-Ozil-cost-Arsenal-42-5m-isnt-worth-two-bob.html

He did comment since that he regretted those comments - something Durham would probably never do

http://dailycannon.com/2015/12/neil-ashton-reveals-ozil-comment-regret/

The English will never give the Germans any praise, must go back to war times.

Especailly on a publiciation as xenophobic as the Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

MD1990 wrote: »
    He was voted by opposition players in the PL team of the year in 14/15.
    He has been improving further since Klopp has taken over too.
    Your the usual suspect downplaying any Liverpool player who is rated highly. Still happy with Darmian over Clyne lol.

I think the main point is that this is definitely a thread about a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Quazzie wrote: »
    I know. And he was referencing Ozil. Not Coutinho. Not everything is about Liverpool!

I'd be fairly certain he was talking about coutinho. Anyway ozil is a great player a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How dare you hijack this Liverpool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The problem with any thread that mentions the Daily Mail is that if that rag holds a negative opinion about someone, it somehow means that any negative opinion about a player is therefore invalid, even if not quite on the same exaggerated scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What is it about Ozil that gets Arsenal fans so worked up, any criticism of wenger, sanchez, giroud can be discussed but when it comes to Ozil he is untouchable.

niallo27 wrote: »
    What is it about Ozil that gets Arsenal fans so worked up, any criticism of wenger, sanchez, giroud can be discussed but when it comes to Ozil he is untouchable.
    Far from untouchable, but he is just quality. For anyone that watches him week in week out, the class is very easy to see, and that's why it's annoying to see others talk him down because they don't appreciate him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Depends on the criticism really. He's not actually been that good this season until maybe the Chelsea match, for a start. But when people start throwing in the usual cliches like "doesn't do it in a big game" (swear he's scored against every big team in England now), then it's hard to take them seriously.

The majority of people when talking him down are doing this because they are being told he is world class and a genius. If you want to put him up at this level except the minor criticisms that come with being the best because that is the only way we can differentiate players at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What I don't get is the comments that mata and de bryne are better players.

Seriously having watched the 3 of them there is no way ozil is bottom.

It seems a few good games with city or United and you're world class but at arsenal you have to work harder to get the recognition for some reason.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What I don't get is the comments that mata and de bryne are better players.

Seriously having watched the 3 of them there is no way ozil is bottom.

It seems a few good games with city or United and you're world class but at arsenal you have to work harder to get the recognition for some reason.

That's usually the way when you are playing at clubs that are not winning or challenging for major trophies. Mata now that he is playing at Utd has fallen down the list.

That's usually the way when you are playing at clubs that are not winning or challenging for major trophies. Mata now that he is playing at Utd has fallen down the list.
    But yet you have Coutinho right up there?? :confused::confused::confused:

But yet you have Coutinho right up there?? :confused::confused::confused:

I never claimed he was world class though. Coutinho has been rightly criticized for some of his play in the last few years where as it seems Ozil is about criticism for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I never claimed he was world class though. Coutinho has been rightly criticized for some of his play in the last few years where as it seems Ozil is about criticism for some.

Why is he even being mentioned in a thread about Ozil who is on a different level altogether?

where as it seems Ozil is about criticism for some.
    I agree, he is about criticism because some people love to have a dig whenever any opportunity arises. Some were even claiming that he can't be world class because he doesn't win trophies. Such a terrible argument to make.

I agree, he is about criticism because some people love to have a dig whenever any opportunity arises. Some were even claiming that he can't be world class because he doesn't win trophies. Such a terrible argument to make.

Who said that?

Doesn't make any sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I still think there is an attitude that if you don't break your bollix chasing every ball you're lazy

Pires and Özil play far more intelligently than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Himself and Aguero are by far the best two players in the league. Probably Arsenals greatest player of the Emirates era. Fabregas, Sanchez and Van Persie being the only close rivals.

Why is he even being mentioned in a thread about Ozil who is on a different level altogether?

He is a similar type of player to Ozil along with mata so it's usual to compare players that play similar roles. For a player on a different level he is doing ok to have scored more goals in a mid table teams. But you keep knocking because it bites you on the arse every time.

He is a similar type of player to Ozil along with mata so it's usual to compare players that play similar roles. For a player on a different level he is doing ok to have scored more goals in a mid table teams. But you keep knocking because it bites you on the arse every time.

Arsenal ain't mid table. By any definition

Now I wonder are the united fans not at fault on boards - is it all coming from the Liverpool fans???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think if you classified players into a 1 to 10 scale. With 10 being Messi, Ronaldo, maybe Bale, Zlatan (of old)? And 1 obviously being the bottom end of professional football.
    He'd be a 9 then. Together with names like Iniesta, Silva, Aguero, Neymar, Suarez, a few more. And I think he's perfect where he is. I think Arsenal has just the right mix for him. He's after finding his role in that team and he seems to like it.
    To be fair, I'm a bit biased. I think he's a great player and I quite like Arsenal, too. But he's a solid 9.

• Advertisement

I think if you classified players into a 1 to 10 scale. With 10 being Messi, Ronaldo, maybe Bale, Zlatan (of old)? And 1 obviously being the bottom end of professional football.
    He'd be a 9 then. Together with names like Iniesta, Silva, Aguero, Neymar, Suarez, a few more. And I think he's perfect where he is. I think Arsenal has just the right mix for him. He's after finding his role in that team and he seems to like it.
    To be fair, I'm a bit biased. I think he's a great player and I quite like Arsenal, too. But he's a solid 9.

Aguero, Neymar and Suarez are in a different category. You are biased surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Great player with the ball at his feet. Wouldn't want him wearing the same jersey as me when the going gets tough though. Hides, doesn't work and generally isn't up for any battle.

mansize wrote: »
    Arsenal ain't mid table. By any definition

I never said they were.

corny wrote: »
    Great player with the ball at his feet. Wouldn't want him wearing the same jersey as me when the going gets tough though. Hides, doesn't work and generally isn't up for any battle.

Absolute rubbish. His ground covered stats are up there with the best in the league. This is typical of the rubbish being spouted by people who rarely watch him and get their opinion from the back of the Sun.

I never said they were.

What did your statement mean so?

• Advertisement

Johnny Giles called him a sunshine player tonight. He really is stuck in the 70s

corny wrote: »

Who do you play for?

I don't cut glass with a hammer and I don't smash it with a diamond

mansize wrote: »
    What did your statement mean so?

I was replying to the post where someone compared couthino to Ozil. I was talking about Coutinho

Johnny Giles called him a sunshine player tonight. He really is stuck in the 70s

John Giles said Wenger devalued the FA cup- no manager has won it more

I was replying to the post where someone compared couthino to Ozil. I was talking about Coutinho

Ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not sure if all those disagreeing with the OP are simply enjoying infuriating Arsenal fans or what.

JPA wrote: »
    Not sure if all those disagreeing with the OP are simply enjoying infuriating Arsenal fans or what.

Or the Arsenal fans insisting he is a genius have forgotten the times and posts when they've been less...gushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Or the Arsenal fans insisting he is a genius have forgotten the times and posts when they've been less...gushing.

You speak as if the two are mutually exclusive.

You speak as if the two are mutually exclusive.
    Haven't you heard. Once you say something on the internet, that's your opinion for life. No backsies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Christ what would Arsenal fans on here be like if they ever actually won a valued competition like the CL or their own league again? You'd swear they've won multiple league titles and CL's with Ozil as their main man by the way they're going on. Truth is they've never won the CL/European Cup - never - and the last time they won their domestic league was all of 12 seasons ago? Laughable delusion.:pac:

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Christ what would Arsenal fans on here be like if they ever actually won a valued competition like the CL or their own league again? You'd swear they've won multiple league titles and CL's with Ozil as their main man by the way they're going on. Truth is they've never won the CL/European Cup - never - and the last time they won their domestic league was all of 12 seasons ago? Laughable delusion.:P
    Aren't you a Man City fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Aren't you a Man City fan?
    Jaysus you're quick I was trying to edit my smilie there. No I'm a Celtic fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Christ what would Arsenal fans on here be like if they ever actually won a valued competition like the CL or their own league again? You'd swear they've won multiple league titles and CL's with Ozil as their main man by the way they're going on. Truth is they've never won the CL/European Cup - never - and the last time they won their domestic league was all of 12 seasons ago? Laughable delusion.:pac:

I don't think any Arsenal fan in this thread has gone on like we have won the league or champions league multiple times. So I don't know what the delusion comment is about. They are just saying what a top player Ozil is, nothing wrong with that.

Some of us always saw the genius and to see it in the flesh is a joy to behold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Aguero, Neymar and Suarez are in a different category. You are biased surely.
    Yup, utterly crazy to put Ozil as the same as Neymar or Suarez. It's not even that close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ozil certainly splits opinion. Personally I don't think he is Arsenal's best player, I think Alexis Sanchez is better but I think he is underrated by a lot of people.

The big problem I have with him is that he does go missing in games quite a lot but that doesn't mean he isn't a great player just that I prefer other players who don't go missing as often.

I think if you watch a player week in week out every minute like most arsenal fans here do they will obviously appreciate a player more like a lot of us with couthino I think the guy is incredible because I see what he tries in every game that most fans don't see because it doesn't come off and it's not in the highlights. I think we are blessed to have players like this because it makes love this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think if you watch a player week in week out every minute like most arsenal fans here do they will obviously appreciate a player more like a lot of us with couthino I think the guy is incredible because I see what he tries in every game that most fans don't see because it doesn't come off and it's not in the highlights. I think we are blessed to have players like this because it makes love this game.

13 pages into the thread and you're still trying to make it a Coutinho discussion?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    13 pages into the thread and you're still trying to make it a Coutinho discussion?

Ah jaysus man. Can you not just enjoy some wonderful footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah jaysus man. Can you not just enjoy some wonderful footballers.

I think Wenger said it best. "Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home"

Advertisement