Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla is now selling in Ireland

• 02-11-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/1102/828604-tesla-selling-in-ireland/

Must say that ranges being quoted are going to be a serious advantage for Tesla over Nissan or in general any other manufacturer.
    Anyone order one?
    Presumably if the car starts at 81k the government will take 5k off the price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭jusmeig

bear1 wrote: »

Must say that ranges being quoted are going to be a serious advantage for Tesla over Nissan or in general any other manufacturer.
    Anyone order one?

They show 2 prices, one that includes a "discount" of 5k.
    This of course is subject to Tesla registering with SEAI and making their cars eligible.

All in all I think its an absolute rip of.
    A typical case of the Irish market getting the short end of the stick.
    For a company trying to sell EVs into a diesel/petrol dominated market, and for a country trying to have 20% of vehicles on the road EV by 2020...this is utter tripe.

A model S at base price is €75886 with my location set to IRL
    €75886 = £68331.62

If I change my location to ENG the base price is 20k less:
    £48600 = €53972.96

Can someone please explain where £20,000 difference comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GustavoGaviria

There is nice 142 P85D hidden in basement of IFSC House.

There is nice 142 P85D hidden in basement of IFSC House.

Thanks man - right on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

I thought that price was seriously steep, when I read the journal article. Rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

jusmeig wrote: »

Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Economics I presume. Large demand in England, more steady and reliable sales and a bigger market. You might sell 10 in a day. Here you might sell one a week. Hence you need to tag on the cost somewhere, and that's probably on the pocket of your consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dubjay

bear1 wrote: »

Anyone order one?

They show 2 prices, one that includes a "discount" of 5k.
    This of course is subject to Tesla registering with SEAI and making their cars eligible.

All in all I think its an absolute rip of.
    A typical case of the Irish market getting the short end of the stick.
    For a company trying to sell EVs into a diesel/petrol dominated market, and for a country trying to have 20% of vehicles on the road EV by 2020...this is utter tripe.

A model S at base price is 75886 with my location set to IRL
    75886 = 68331.62

If I change my location to ENG the base price is 20k less:
    48600 = 53972.96

Can someone please explain where 20,000 difference comes from.
    i would say VRT/re-reg ect. I used to own a prius 07D. 6months later the goverment took the VRT price off them which meant mine depriciated by that much (re-sale value). then they changed the taxation to 08 jul cars so i was paying top road tax also even though it was hybrid.i paid over the odds for the car as i thought i was doing my bit.they are a great car but they have to be serviced every 10-15k like a normal petrol car and work out more expensive. i now drive a big smokey diesel which cost less to run/service and tax..mad

niallb wrote: »
    Brexit
    LOL - It should be them getting punished not us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

niallb wrote: »
    Brexit

You'd wonder why it's not massively expensive in the UK then.

I would have thought they'd convert USD to GBP and Euro, with GBP being massively inflated.

dubjay wrote: »
    i would say VRT/re-reg ect. I used to own a prius 07D. 6months later the goverment took the VRT price off them which meant mine depriciated by that much (re-sale value). then they changed the taxation to 08 jul cars so i was paying top road tax also even though it was hybrid.i paid over the odds for the car as i thought i was doing my bit.they are a great car but they have to be serviced every 10-15k like a normal petrol car and work out more expensive. i now drive a big smokey diesel which cost less to run/service and tax..mad

The VRT tho is excluded from that price. They have 2 prices, the lower is less 5k, so not VRT....but its still a long way from affordable.
    At this rate the Model 3 will be €40,000.
    Hardly a car for the masses?!

Can't we just purchase from the GBP site, and import. If its VRT exempt you just need to TAX and insure it I think and you can drive it across on the ferry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The VRT tho is excluded from that price. They have 2 prices, the lower is less 5k, so not VRT....but its still a long way from affordable.
    At this rate the Model 3 will be €40,000.
    Hardly a car for the masses?!

Can't we just purchase from the GBP site, and import. If its VRT exempt you just need to TAX and insure it I think and you can drive it across on the ferry?
    The first €5k of VRT on electric cars is exempt, you still have to pay any VRT due above this amount.
    Source http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2f

The first €5k of VRT on electric cars is exempt, you still have to pay any VRT due above this amount.
    Source http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2f

That's a very confusing site.
    New vehicle, first registration €2,500

This is for EV or Hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Greyian

That's a very confusing site.
    New vehicle, first registration €2,500

This is for EV or Hybrid?

That's the amount of VRT you get back, not the total amount of VRT you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

81k is just bonkers.

For that price you can buy fully loaded Nissan leaf and something stupid like Nissan gtr, Nissan 370z, mustang etc. Have them both insured and taxed for few years...

81k is just bonkers.

For that price you can buy fully loaded Nissan leaf and something stupid like Nissan gtr, Nissan 370z, mustang etc. Have them both insured and taxed for few years...

It's a luxury car. Price isn't the most important factor here.

People are going to buy it as a status symbol, not to get free motor tax and VRT discounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

eeguy wrote: »
    It's a luxury car. Price isn't the most important factor here.

People are going to buy it as a status symbol, not to get free motor tax and VRT discounts.

From my experience of meeting owners worldwide, they are most certainly not a car for the masses. They are the S Class of EV's and very much are a status symbol. They are not meant for the 'Everyday Mondeo Man'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Wonder how the insurance companies will rate them ......

Tesla S has 600bhp ..... :eek: 0-60mph in 3seconds....

kyote00 wrote: »
    Wonder how the insurance companies will rate them ......

Tesla S has 600bhp ..... :eek: 0-60mph in 3seconds....

This incredibly high speed is offset by the fact that your sense of smugness will launch you clear of any danger in the event of an accident ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This incredibly high speed is offset by the fact that your sense of smugness will launch you clear of any danger in the event of an accident ;)
    Except if it's a white truck over the road.

Nody wrote: »
    Except if it's a white truck over the road.

Woah now... parts of him were launched....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

81k is just bonkers.

Weirdly though id still rather have the Tesla :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

(Brexit)
    eeguy wrote: »
    You'd wonder why it's not massively expensive in the UK then.

I would have thought they'd convert USD to GBP and Euro, with GBP being massively inflated.

Possibly because they can't change the price too often without annoying the British market, and sterling was in freefall. More important right now to get them on the road than to make large profit on every vehicle.

Apple prices were much lower in the UK for the last few months for this reason, and were only recalculated in the last few weeks before the new equipment was launched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Anybody know if the 1000 euro deposit for the Tesla 3 is refundable?
    I'd be tempted tp put my name down if I thought I could get the money back if the car is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Anybody know if the 1000 euro deposit for the Tesla 3 is refundable?
    I'd be tempted tp put my name down if I thought I could get the money back if the car is rubbish.

It's refundable.

Advertisement