Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Mullingar Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Talking to others here at work about the canal section of the greenway and you'd want to be wearing your helmet as a result of a penchant for throwing stones amongst the natives on some sections :(

I heard that they're actually closing sections of the canal as a waterway because of this.:mad:

Why don't they police the minority, instead of closing facilities for the majority.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

fat bloke wrote: »
    Talking to others here at work about the canal section of the greenway and you'd want to be wearing your helmet as a result of a penchant for throwing stones amongst the natives on some sections :(

I heard that they're actually closing sections of the canal as a waterway because of this.:mad:

Why don't they police the minority, instead of closing facilities for the majority.:(

That's in Dublin, no where near where we're talking about.

That's in Dublin, no where near where we're talking about.

And yet are directly connected by the canal and are ultimately all to be part of the one greenway...

The Mullingar Athlone Greenway is separate to the Royal Canal Greenway, unless you're going to suggest a greenway has 3 ends.

The route to Dublin from Mullingar is decided, it's the Royal canal towpath. It's just that most of it east of the Meath Westmeath border to Castleknock is not done yet.

<sigh>

You mentioned the canal.

Others mentioned the canal.

I mentioned the canal.

It's all to be part of the one greenway, a section of which goes Mullingar to Athlone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The surface mentioned earlier between Moate and Athlone isn't likely to be upgraded anytime soon. The area is bogland and when the German stuff was put down it broke and sunk. IMO there's nothing wrong with the section as it is, it's no different to what you get between Abbeyshrule and Mullingar on the canal, which I must say is nice but I really think something needs to be done about that gate under the Ballinea bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anyone aware of the progress of the greenway beyond Kilcock? I know they've recently completed the section from Maynooth as far as Kilcock and plans are for the route to meet up with what seems to be a completed canal greenway from north of Kinnegad to Mullingar.

When completed that will offer an enviable winter route for many riders and clubs. Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

velo.2010 wrote: »
    When completed that will offer an enviable winter route for many riders and clubs. Here's hoping!

Here hoping for solo riders and small groups but definitely not clubs. Pedestrians also use the canals for walking dogs and walks with kids so I can't imagine groups of 20+ on them all trying to get through the gates.

I use the canals up to 12th lock regularly and they always have lots of pedestrians so I'm always aware of them

Here hoping for solo riders and small groups but definitely not clubs. Pedestrians also use the canals for walking dogs and walks with kids so I can't imagine groups of 20+ on them all trying to get through the gates.

I never mentioned groups of 20+ riders in fairness. As you say, 'small groups' is what I had in mind when the weather turns sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I never mentioned groups of 20+ riders in fairness. As you say, 'small groups' is what I had in mind when the weather turns sour.

In fairness that's what a lot of clubs would have on a weekend spin. Easily 10+ which imho is still too many.
    Definitely would be nice for a solo spin in the winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Anyone aware of the progress of the greenway beyond Kilcock? I know they've recently completed the section from Maynooth as far as Kilcock and plans are for the route to meet up with what seems to be a completed canal greenway from north of Kinnegad to Mullingar.

Last time I was out that way (about 3 weeks ago) the canal bank was closed from the back of Maynooth university to the next bridge. The following section was a sea of mud for about 3km before it became rideable again. Is that all completed now?

Beyond Kilcock and almost all the way to Enfield was grassy and muddy and very slow going but passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

waterways ireland are still working on that section between jackson bridge, kilcock and maynooth as per their recent update

Rgds,
    Bovis http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com
    ==============================begins===============
    MARINE NOTICE
    No. 4 of 2017
    Royal Canal

Towpath Upgrade Works at Maynooth

Marine Notices Nos. 161 and 165 /2016 refer. Waterways Ireland wishes to
    advise that the Royal Canal towpath west of Maynooth from Bond Bridge to
    Jacksons Bridge (approx. 1.7km), will continue to be closed until March 2017
    to undertake further cycle / pedestrian upgrade works along this route.

Waterways Ireland thanks its customers for their cooperation in the matter.

Charles Lawn
    Inspector of Navigation
    30 Jan 2017
    ==================================ends===========

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Last time I was out that way (about 3 weeks ago) the canal bank was closed from the back of Maynooth university to the next bridge. The following section was a sea of mud for about 3km before it became rideable again. Is that all completed now?

Beyond Kilcock and almost all the way to Enfield was grassy and muddy and very slow going but passable.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the information lads. I was under the impression from a Kilcock facebook page that the Maynooth-Kilcock section was practically complete. On closer inspection, there is a kilometre or so either side of Kilcock that's been laid, with overall completion still some time away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How far past Mullingar does this stretch would anyone know, or where would be the best place near there to turn for either Maynooth or Dublin that's relatively quiet.

Thinking of cycling from Galway to Dublin I'm a couple of weeks and was going to include this in the route to get away from the roads for an hour or 2

It goes as far as Hill of the Down and then it's grass as far as the bridge under the old N6.

Weepsie wrote: »
    How far past Mullingar does this stretch would anyone know, or where would be the best place near there to turn for either Maynooth or Dublin that's relatively quiet.

Thinking of cycling from Galway to Dublin I'm a couple of weeks and was going to include this in the route to get away from the roads for an hour or 2

The fair surface stopped at the westmeath/meath border, about 3 miles west of Hill of Down, for about 3km of awful stone/mud surface, then a km of tar and chips road to Hill of Down from the bridge above it.

I'd definitely take the Greenway/canal on this route, for a bit of peace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Is there any merit in someone who is familiar with the Greenway posting a list of useful entry/exit access points including nearby car parks which people not familiar with the Greenway could use to plan a trip?

Lakeside Wheelers have a good map on their website but I think a list of Google Map based locations would be helpful e.g. this is the starting point of the Greenway in Athlone. It's a railway crossing on the Ballymahon Road opposite Beechpark and referred to locally as the "White Gates". There isn't much in the way of parking nearby but you could park at the end of Beechpark here which is only 50m from the White Gates. Note: The White Gates entrance to Beechpark is only passable with bikes and prams etc. It was blocked off to road traffic years ago to stop people using it as a rat run so to access that parking spot you need to enter Beechpark from this side.

Perhaps a small list of such spots along the Greenway set as a sticky at the top of the thread would be useful?

I put this Google Maps list together for readers of the dublingalwaygreenway blog. If there are any additions or amendments please let me know.

https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1MKN_QGYRbFtf9l3Ybogzksln650
    Is there any merit in someone who is familiar with the Greenway posting a list of useful entry/exit access points including nearby car parks which people not familiar with the Greenway could use to plan a trip?

Lakeside Wheelers have a good map on their website but I think a list of Google Map based locations would be helpful e.g. this is the starting point of the Greenway in Athlone. It's a railway crossing on the Ballymahon Road opposite Beechpark and referred to locally as the "White Gates". There isn't much in the way of parking nearby but you could park at the end of Beechpark here which is only 50m from the White Gates. Note: The White Gates entrance to Beechpark is only passable with bikes and prams etc. It was blocked off to road traffic years ago to stop people using it as a rat run so to access that parking spot you need to enter Beechpark from this side.

Perhaps a small list of such spots along the Greenway set as a sticky at the top of the thread would be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Westmeath Co Co have done a decent job on this, see this leaflet

http://www.athlone.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/OLD-RAIL-TRAIL-SM.pdf

and more info here

http://www.athlone.ie/visit/the-old-rail-trail/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 422452

Hi, we're planning on going over to do the athlone to moate with the kiddies - is there parking available at both ends and what exits are best to come off motorway. Thanks

• Advertisement

422452 wrote: »
    Hi, we're planning on going over to do the athlone to moate with the kiddies - is there parking available at both ends and what exits are best to come off motorway. Thanks
    To access the trail in Athlone exit at junction 9, turn towards town (left if approaching from the east , right if approaching from the west) at the first roundabout you meet you'll see the trail head on your right but the parking around there is for the Spar only, to access parking for the greenway you need to go straight on to the next roundabout, take the second exit to the right, after a sharp left take the railway bridge on your right.

In Moate the parking is available at the railway station follow the signs for the golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Morning.

Hoping to head from North County Dublin to Athlone sometime in the next few weeks. Did it last year, hopped on the canal route at The Hill of Downs.

Is that tough section of a few km just past Hill of Downs still in the same state?

Potholes, rocks etc.

I actually enjoyed that bit, the bike however did not. Punctured and chain slipped off going up one of the little slip roads and i could not unclip pedals fast enough and i comically fell sideways off the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flinchwhip

Any recommendations for restaurants cafes on or near this Greenway, just looking for somewhere nice for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Flinchwhip wrote: »
    Any recommendations for restaurants cafes on or near this Greenway, just looking for somewhere nice for lunch?

The only place directly accessible from the greenway is Moate golf club - it's closer to Athlone than Mullingar. Handy for a coffee stop but no idea what the food is like. You could always venture in to Moate itself - I'm sure there are plenty of options there. Other than that, the only towns you get near are Mullingar and Athlone - both have plenty of food options if that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

EC1000 wrote: »
    The only place directly accessible from the greenway is Moate golf club - it's closer to Athlone than Mullingar. Handy for a coffee stop but no idea what the food is like. You could always venture in to Moate itself - I'm sure there are plenty of options there. Other than that, the only towns you get near are Mullingar and Athlone - both have plenty of food options if that works for you.

moate golf club do decent food actually, my dad plays there and eats in the bar regularly. i ate there last year with him and the food was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Just a simple one lads and lassies....I've never cycled this route before is it proper tarmac the whole route i.e. Can it be done on a road bike with 25mm tyres without getting my bones rattled? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

tikkamark wrote:
    Just a simple one lads and lassies....I've never cycled this route before is it proper tarmac the whole route i.e. Can it be done on a road bike with 25mm tyres without getting my bones rattled?

Yes, lovely tarmac surface. A short section at the Athlone end was fine packed gravel when I was there last Winter. You might get bits of branches and leaves but perfect on 25mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Comma wrote: »

Yes, lovely tarmac surface. A short section at the Athlone end was fine packed gravel when I was there last Winter. You might get bits of branches and leaves but perfect on 25mm tyres.
    Thanks a million we were planning on doing it tomorrow weather permitting!It looks a lovely route!

• Advertisement

Regarding parking. At the Mullingar end, I know there is a dedicated car park (current image on Googlemaps predates this). Is this secure or would it be a safer bet parking outside the Outdoor Adventure in the business park.

Advertisement