Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone - Mullingar Greenway

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did this today.

First thing to day...excellent surface! Even the 'bad bit' is still probably better than any part of the Waterford Greenway. However that's about the only thing that trumps its southern cousin.

It's a tough auld spin on the mind and body too. Endless stretches of straight path that seem to rise up before you, but are only moderately noticeable gradients. On the way out it was so quiet that I was looking for some human activity and my brain would interpret warning poles for cow crossings as people waiting by the side of the Greenway. Thankfully, nearing Moate, there were more folk using the path.

Passing through Moate station, I caught up with an older chap who was returning to Athlone. He told me he did the same trip (Athlone-Moate-Athlone) everyday come rain, hail, or shine... fair play to him. He expressed his disappointment that there not more users of what he described as a 'fabulous amenity'. I pressed on and reached Athlone at lunchtime.

The last time I spent any amount of time in Athlone, and not just passing through, was back in the nineties for a sports competition. The Greenway extension takes you right up to the road leading into town. I spent a little bit of time pootling around and went down to the Shannon. After some food and that all important can of America's finest (sorry Prof O'Shea), I headed back.

The return journey was always going to be a little easier... I'm closer to the end of the Journey than the beginning! The weather stayed kind and I got back to Mullingar about 85 minutes later. Throughout the spin, I kept it in the small chain ring and spun the legs. Average pace on the Greenway was around 30kph. I kept it simple and didn't push myself at this time of year. Around 90km for the journey.

So, it was a good spin. In future, I'd have to have someone with me, preferably a small group to help break up the route. It's fair boring for the first 20 odd Km from Mullingar. Notwithstanding the long stretches, I agree that it is a great resource for those who just want to get out for an hour or so on the bike or on foot. I'm sure there are more folk out at the weekend.

Oh, some folk in Mullingar were not the best drivers I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Regarding parking. At the Mullingar end, I know there is a dedicated car park (current image on Googlemaps predates this). Is this secure or would it be a safer bet parking outside the Outdoor Adventure in the business park.

Thanks for the update on your spin today. Not the most scenic or popular route especially outside the Spring/Summer months but it sounds like a good alternative way to loosen up the legs in a very safe easy to ride environment.

So where did you park and was it safe/secure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thanks for the update on your spin today. Not the most scenic or popular route especially outside the Spring/Summer months but it sounds like a good alternative way to loosen up the legs in a very safe easy to ride environment.

So where did you park and was it safe/secure?

Just outside Outdoor Adventures. The 'designated parking spot' for the Greenway is basically a spill over car park from the council yard. It doesn't look too inviting. The lads in Outdoor Adventure don't mind folk parking outside. If you need to fill up on bars/gels before you head off, they're well stocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the canal cycles from mullingar to ballymahon or back towards meath are more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the canal cycles from mullingar to ballymahon or back towards meath are more enjoyable

Is Mullingar to Ballymahon on canal towpath suitable for a road bike on 25mm tyres ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ninoon wrote: »
    Is Mullingar to Ballymahon on canal towpath suitable for a road bike on 25mm tyres ?

yes. a lot of it is paved as there are houses along the towpath
    I see road bikes on it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

I had the pleasure of cycling the Royal Canal from Ballymahon to Mullingar and then back to Moate on the Rail Trail at the weekend.

The Royal Canal section of my spin was wonderful, lovely views, never felt too remote but at the same time removed from civilisation and the surface was cool, primarily grit with some tarmac and grass verge up the middle thrown in.

The Rail Trail however, and bear in mind this is only my opinion, was horrible. Firstly it's a train track so of course it's very straight, on top of that because of the high sides and the straightness it appears to be going uphill all of the time! The surface is beautiful, not a sound out of the mudguards on the bike whilst on it, but the surface does not make up for the paucity of views or lack of interesting sites in the area.

So the Rail Trail is great for travelling to Athlone from Mullingar if you want to avoid traffic and are in a hurry on your bike - also would be very fast given the prevailing wind in the opposite direction! However for a Sunday spin, there are so many other nice small roads around the midlands with feck all cars on them which are a far better alternative.

So in closing, i highly recommend the midlands of cycling, great roads, but avoid the rail trail if you're after an interesting spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<mod voice> Merged a couple of threads it seems, no need for multiples on the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

With reference to quiet country roads, give me the rail Trail any day. A much more relaxed cycle, compared to being on the road. Unless speed is your goal of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was hoping to give this a try at the weekend but didn't get the time. I didn't realise it was around 40km in length. It would be ideal for families and kids starting to cycle.

With the Royal Canal close by there is great tourism potential to entice people out of Dublin.

I will definitely give it a try at some stage.

Was there meant to be a spur done on towards Tullamore or somewhere else in Offaly?

These old rail trails are a gift with fabulous viaducts on some of them in various parts of the country.

Hopefully the extension across to Galway will one day be completed and you could have other blueways and greenways feeding off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

TooObvious wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of cycling the Royal Canal from Ballymahon to Mullingar and then back to Moate on the Rail Trail at the weekend.

The Royal Canal section of my spin was wonderful, lovely views, never felt too remote but at the same time removed from civilisation and the surface was cool, primarily grit with some tarmac and grass verge up the middle thrown in.

The Rail Trail however, and bear in mind this is only my opinion, was horrible. Firstly it's a train track so of course it's very straight, on top of that because of the high sides and the straightness it appears to be going uphill all of the time! The surface is beautiful, not a sound out of the mudguards on the bike whilst on it, but the surface does not make up for the paucity of views or lack of interesting sites in the area.

So the Rail Trail is great for travelling to Athlone from Mullingar if you want to avoid traffic and are in a hurry on your bike - also would be very fast given the prevailing wind in the opposite direction! However for a Sunday spin, there are so many other nice small roads around the midlands with feck all cars on them which are a far better alternative.

So in closing, i highly recommend the midlands of cycling, great roads, but avoid the rail trail if you're after an interesting spin.

Each to their own the build architecture is fantastic the bridges are beautiful the old railway stations are gorgeous and even the gates look nice. So I guess what I am trying to say is everything has its good points so I wouldn't knock it.
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Greenway from Mullingar to Athlone could do with some small improvements:

- More views. There are actually some nice views along the way, like the bog, but the view is blocked by trees and bushes!
    - Some more places of interest like perhaps a rail museum in Castletown or a cafe. The place in Moate is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

budgemook wrote: »
    The Greenway from Mullingar to Athlone could do with some small improvements:

- More views. There are actually some nice views along the way, like the bog, but the view is blocked by trees and bushes!
    - Some more places of interest like perhaps a rail museum in Castletown or a cafe. The place in Moate is very nice.

agreed, the station is castletown is one of the more run down looking iirc? but looks like a beautiful building if they decided to do something with it. some history / nature signage along the way giving more of an insight into specific areas would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

An on off option in Streamstown would be nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Hi folks, where is the best place to grab a quick cuppa at the Mullingar end before the return journey to Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

eeimcaw wrote: »
    Hi folks, where is the best place to grab a quick cuppa at the Mullingar end before the return journey to Athlone?

The Mullingar end is the Mullingar Industrial estate. To get something decent you'd have to cycle into the town I think, possibly as far as Dominic Street.

Alternatively you could go to the filling station in the Industrial Estate or the Spar / Supermacs in Ardleigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

Miller and Cook on the main street (opposite the Joe Dolan statue) never let us down. They have pretty safe bike parking that can be accessed from the rear.

must listed them on http://royalcanalgreenway.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Comma

Red Earth in the Mullingar Business Park has a nice restaurant. You could bring the bike around the back and lock it up. It's a km or two up the road from the end of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

flazio wrote: »
    An on off option in Streamstown would be nice as well.

They're doing one, it may actually be finished have driven by exit on road at the old rail station but haven't been on the track in a while.

Outdoor Escape bike shop right at the end of the greenway has great coffee and a good selection of bars.

does anyone know where the access points are near Mount Temple? looking at the map I can see that it crosses a roadway at Fossagh, as well as the road coming from the motorway slip-road, which seems to be nearest Kilmahon according to Google maps.

I'm hoping to do Athlone to Mullingar this weekend and was thinking of knocking up my old nemesis p1ss-off hill en route so am trying to figure out the best way of rejoining the greenway after that.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »

thanks, I know that road alright but I'm trying to stay on the greenway in so far as possible so was hoping to reconnect as quickly as I can. given where your mapped route has ended I'm assuming I can re-join at Fossagh then?

from memory there's no access on the road near the motorway junction, is that right?

thanks, I know that road alright but I'm trying to stay on the greenway in so far as possible so was hoping to reconnect as quickly as I can. given where your mapped route has ended I'm assuming I can re-join at Fossagh then?

from memory there's no access on the road near the motorway junction, is that right?

No there's a crossroads there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1rlLDBmJNh7QXL4c0aFPs9HqRj_8&ll=53.401424919617206%2C-7.78702806083993&z=14

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

You can access from that R03 on the last link, but its loose stones rather than tarmac - you'd have to dismount and push the bike onto the traffic road.
    R04 is the handiest to get to/from p1ss off hill

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    You can access from that R03 on the last link, but its loose stones rather than tarmac - you'd have to dismount and push the bike onto the traffic road.
    R04 is the handiest to get to/from p1ss off hill

thanks. I had my dad spin around there during the week and he said alright that R03 was more like a farmers track up to the greenway. I'll aim for R04 so, now just to hope for decent weather :pac:

Advertisement