Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oharts of Sligo.

Options
  • 02-11-2016 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hello

Any information on the O'Harts of Sligo would be greatly appreciated.
    Im trying to pull together family history on the subject.
    Ive read that Lisadell was built on stones from the Local Castle that was Residence of the O'hart clan.
    Ive read the last of the O'harts Heraldic line died after the famine and is buried in Crossmolina in Mayo.
    So if you have any stories links you found or antedotes you wish to add please reply here now or in the future,
    Much Appreciated .
    Ciaran.
    Here is a quote that is listed below from grange webpage.
    Grange village was once a stronghold of the O Harte and O Connor families. The Annals of Ireland record that in 1604 a new castle and 7 cottages were built by Hugh O Hart in the town of Grange, Co. Sligo. In the 17th century the village belonged to the Cistercians of Boyle Abbey and remained so until the Dissolution of the monasteries. Long before that time the O Hartes had been assigned the village by the O Connor Sligoe at which time it was known as Grange Muintir Hart. The name Grange itself comes from the Irish Grainseach from a granary that once stood there.

Demise of the old clans
    Grange, in common with the rest of the county, was shortly to be divided among the Cromwellians: the Temples (Lord Palmerston s forbears), the Wynnes, the Gores to name but a few, many of whose descendants own large tracts of land to this day. In 1641, in an attempt to reclaim their lands and properties, the chiefs of Sligo, the O Harts of Grange and the O Connor Sligoe among them, took up arms in rebellion and attacked the English garrison at Sligo Castle. The soldiers surrendered and were given safe passage out of the county. Twenty settlers placed in Sligo jail for safety by the insurgents were killed there by a vengeful.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

You're probably familiar with O'Hart's Irish Pedigrees (the edition I have is published in 1880) which, not surprisingly, has twelve indexed references to the O'Hart family, including its links with Sligo and Tara, Co. Meath. Not the easiest of books to navigate around, but he does list, on pages 136-8, a genealogical path from himself back to Airt-Ean-Fhear, the 112th monarch of Ireland and ancestor of the O'Harts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There is a lot wrong with the above. For starters, O'Hart's book is not true genealogy as he unquestioningly believed and accepted as fact both Gaelic mythology and the Bible, tracing the Irish back to Milieus, who he claimed was the 36th descendent of Adam. His work generally is disregarded by genealogists.

The dates and information you quote/link are totally confused/incorrect – e.g.
    Lazairus wrote: »
    “In the 17th century the village belonged to the Cistercians of Boyle Abbey and remained so until the Dissolution of the monasteries.”
    The dissolution of the monasteries occurred in the 1530’s
    Lazairus wrote: »
    Grange, in common with the rest of the county, was shortly to be divided among the Cromwellians: the Temples (Lord Palmerston s forbears), the Wynnes, the Gores to name but a few, many of whose descendants own large tracts of land to this day. In 1641, in an attempt to reclaim their lands…..
    Dates wrong again – 1641 is an entirely different affair. The Cromwellian hostilities ceased in Spring 1652 but it was not until autumn of the following year that the scheme for distributing Irish land as payment to the soldiers was published, and not until two years later (on the 1st September 1655) that the first and largest (of three) disbandings of the Army took place.

Also, picking just the Wynne name as an example from the above, an early Wynne settler did receive some land - but it was not in Sligo - and the vast majority of their holdings was bought in the 1700's e.g. Hazelwood and about 15,000 acres ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

the Ua hAirt are supposedly of the Síl nÁedo Sláine or so some sources claim and thus Southern Uí Néill. I don't see them on Jaski's charts of Southern Uí Néill main lineages, some of mentions in the Annals specifically put them in East Tethbae.

O'Hart's genealogy is obviously made up, as he puts the line of descent from Art mac Cuinn who like his father Conn of hundred battles is obviously pseudo-historical character. Also if they were descended from Art, they wouldn't be Southern Uí Néill. I also see Colla da Chrioch show up in Hart's genealogy, which would point to Airghiallan genealogy (which is known to be false -- see TM Charles-Edwards "Early Christian Ireland")

Basically that genealogy in O'Hart is probably worthless in stretch before 1000-1200 onwards. I'd be curious what Mac Fhirbsigh had in his genealogy in comparison.

dubhthach wrote: »
    .......Basically that genealogy in O'Hart is probably worthless in stretch before 1000-1200 onwards. I'd be curious what Mac Fhirbsigh had in his genealogy in comparison.

It’s neither my period nor geographic area of interest but H. T. Knox’s History of Mayo, is apparently the ‘go-to’ book for the genealogies in its appendices and said to be reliable from 700 onwards to 1600. The Gaelic tables are from Mac-Firbis's Genealogies and Knox has inserted dates from both the Annals of the Four Masters and the Annals of Ulster in several cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It’s neither my period nor geographic area of interest but H. T. Knox’s History of Mayo, is apparently the ‘go-to’ book for the genealogies in its appendices and said to be reliable from 700 onwards to 1600. The Gaelic tables are from Mac-Firbis's Genealogies and Knox has inserted dates from both the Annals of the Four Masters and the Annals of Ulster in several cases.

Well Mac Fhirbhisigh magnus opus was translated by Professor Nollaig Ó Muraíle and published by De Búrca books, it costs €635 (!) -- text is parallel Early Modern Irish/English. They have a copy of it in the new library in Dún Laoghaire which is seriously tempting me to join the Library (it's in Local History collection)

http://www.deburcararebooks.com/great-book-irish-genealogies/

gbig-500x500.jpg

Anyways after checking some of mentions in the Annals on UCC CELT (Corpus of Electronic Texts) I see following in the Four Masters
    M1087.6

Maol Ruanaidh Ua h-Airt, .i. do Chloinn Diarmada, tigherna Tethbha, d'ecc.
    --
    M1087.6

Maelruanaidh Ua hAirt, i.e. of the Clann-Diarmada, lord of Teathbha, died.
    M1098.17

Catharnach, mac An t-Sionnaigh Uidhir, tigherna Tethbha, do mharbhadh d'Airther Teathbha, .i. d'Ua Airt, h-i fioll.
    --
    M1098.17

Catharnach, son of the Sinnach Odhar, lord of Teathbha, was treacherously slain by Ua hAirt, of East Teathbha
    M1099.11

Cathraoinedh, .i. maidhm Lochain Geiridh, ria n-Iarthar Tethbha, .i. ria Muintir Tadhgain, for a Airther, dú i t-torchair do Cloinn Diarmadae don chur-sin Muirchertach Ua h-Airt, tigherna Tethbha, sochaidhibh oile ammaille fris im Ua Lachtnáin.
    ---
    M1099.11

A victory, i.e. the Breach of Lochan-geiridh, was gained by the people of West Teathbha, i.e. by Muintir-Tadhgain, over the people of the east of the same, wherein were slain of the Clann-Diarmada on that occasion, Muircheartach Ua hAirt, lord of Teathbha, and many others along with him, and among the rest Ua Lachtnain.

This would point to a family bearing the surname Ua h-Airt in eastern Tethbae in the 11th century and who were part of the Cenél Maine of the Southern Uí Néill. Looking at Jaski's charts I can see this lineage mentioned, the titular ancestor they are named after been Art King of Tethba who died in 826AD.

It's quite possible that this is a completely unrelated family of Ua h-Airt's than the later one which gave rise to the Sligo family.

I'd imagine consulting Mac Fhirbhisigh might shed some more light on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a copy of it in Fingal Archives too, as well as NLI and UCD library (just off the top of my head).

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's a copy of it in Fingal Archives too, as well as NLI and UCD library (just off the top of my head).

I'd go there from DL in preference to the kindergarten creche zoo that is DLR Library, particularly after school.

Advertisement