Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backing e vision recording up onto DVD

• 02-11-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I am trying to back up e Vision recording up onto dvd discs as I'm running out of space.

I have the HDMI cable from the evision box running into a HDMI to scart converter and then into the back of the philips DVD recorder.( the converter gives me the chance of ntsc or pal output.

When I turn the tv over to av and the dvd recorder is turned off, I can see the signal from the evision box on the screen.

But then when I turn on the recorder , the evision signal doesn't display.
    What could be wrong and is there any other way of doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The converted signal may have Macrovision, causing the DVD recorder not to record it; although I've not seen a converter doing this before. Check the specs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

L1011 wrote: »
    The converted signal may have Macrovision, causing the DVD recorder not to record it; although I've not seen a converter doing this before. Check the specs on it.
    Is there anything else that could be causing it.

Maybe the recorder will only accept analogue signals. Do you have any other suggestions how to back up the signal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kala85 wrote: »
    Maybe the recorder will only accept analogue signals. Do you have any other suggestions how to back up the signal

The scart connection is analogue, what other connections are at the rear of the e-vision box?

Hdmi anyway.

Ill have to check the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen photos of the back of the box that appears to have what looks like a S-video connector between the HDMI and USB connections.

• Advertisement

Yes I think it does have an s video out connection.

Yes I think it does have an s video out connection.
    A simple S-Video to SCART cable would possibly work then, assuming the S-Video output is active.

Would the signal be scrambled

Would the signal be scrambled
    Not scrambled as such, as I assume the primary reason for it would be to connect to a TV that had no HDMI input .. you may even have got a cable supplied with the box, did you look? Only possibility, also mentioned above, is that it's protected with Macrovision which will prevent it from being recorded by a recording device that also supports Macrovision. The only way to find out is to try it really.

Can the DVD recorder definitely record off SCART?

Some of them were sold with the intention of being used with analogue cable TV and can only record off an analogue tuner; the SCART passthrough was just passthrough.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Not scrambled as such, as I assume the primary reason for it would be to connect to a TV that had no HDMI input .. you may even have got a cable supplied with the box, did you look? Only possibility, also mentioned above, is that it's protected with Macrovision which will prevent it from being recorded by a recording device that also supports Macrovision. The only way to find out is to try it really.

How can I get dvd recorder that will read the macro vision.

How can I get dvd recorder that will read the macro vision.

From a decade ago (there would be very few DVD recorders made anymore) and from Russia probably (Macrovision stripping is simple but reputable brands don't do it)

Any other possible solutions to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Get a 'HD Game Recorder' ( Search google/ebay etc for that). They take HDMI and will record whatever is on screen to an SD card. You can then burn that video to disk.

Get a 'HD Game Recorder' ( Search google/ebay etc for that). They take HDMI and will record whatever is on screen to an SD card. You can then burn that video to disk.

Thanks. Never even knew these existed. Is there any model i can get which will take the signal from e vision box and transfer them onto a hard drive without going though the computer.

If I do it as suggested above and record to the sd card then, could i put the sd recording onto hdd drive or dvd drive..what file format would I save the files as on the hdd so that it can be played on the tv.

not sure, I just record to the box and play back from the box, Ive not tried transfer to DVD ( cant really see why you would nowadays).

The file fomat plays just fine on VLC, windows media player etc on a PC. Differnet boxes support different recording file formats.

not sure, I just record to the box and play back from the box, Ive not tried transfer to DVD ( cant really see why you would nowadays).

The file fomat plays just fine on VLC, windows media player etc on a PC. Differnet boxes support different recording file formats.

Which box did you buy and do you store onto a memory card.

Its a no brand from aliexpress ( Also gearbest, wish etc). I cant see the exact one on there anymore but theyre all pretty much the same idea. Just make sure the one you choose supports HDCP ( the cheaper ones mostly dont). Not all support SD cards but pretty much all suppport USB flash drives and External USB Hardrives.

Advertisement