Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut in Yer Soup

Options
  • 02-11-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Normally when I make sweet potato soup I'd add some butternut squash, chilli and creme fraiche. This week though I had some sweet potato soup out were the chef made it with chilli and coconut. It was fecking delicious.

I'm curious as to how I'd add coconut to soup I'd make myself. Are they using coconut milk or some other flavouring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

FWIW - When I make squash soup I usually roast the chunks of squash first. I sprinkle them with cumin & dessicated coconut & a splash of oil. But you could also use half coconut milk/half stock (or whatever liquid you use) when making the soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

FWIW - When I make squash soup I usually roast the chunks of squash first. I sprinkle them with cumin & dessicated coconut & a splash of oil. But you could also use half coconut milk/half stock (or whatever liquid you use) when making the soup.

Thanks THB, I had initially thought about desiccated coconut but wasn't sure if that would dissolve fully in the cooking process. Half stock/half coconut milk sounds ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just Google "sweet potato chilli and coconut soup", loads of hits ... and they all only contain coconut milk rather than dessicated coconut. Mind you a bit of fresh grated coconut added before serving might be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use a tin of coconut milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks THB, I had initially thought about desiccated coconut but wasn't sure if that would dissolve fully in the cooking process. Half stock/half coconut milk sounds ideal.

Desiccated coconut wont dissolve.
    It's most likely coconut cream or milk. Which are essentially the same just mixed with different amounts of water.

Coconut based soups are petty common is thai and south east Asian cusine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have a recipe for sweet potato soup that I got from Masterchef years ago (back in the Lloyd Grossman era).

Basically, I fry off garlic, onion, ginger & chili. Add diced sweet potato and sweat a little. Then add a tin of coconut milk plus some stock. Once cooked, purée, then add lime juice & fish sauce to season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I never would have thought about coconut in a sweet potato/ butternut squash soup. Interesting!

Off topic, can anyone clarify what is in this photo. I bought it yesterday, it is shaped like a pumpkin but the skin is just like butternut squash. I haven't tasted pumpkin before. Whatever this is, it's roasting in the oven now for soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is a pumpkin. They come in all shapes, sizes & colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I never would have thought about coconut in a sweet potato/ butternut squash soup. Interesting!

It's really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Butternut squash is also a type of pumpkin.
    In the shop here, they are called butternut pumpkin, the skinny normal one

• Advertisement
Advertisement