Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How prolific are first cross Belclare?

• 02-11-2016 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I currently have mainly Scotch and Cheviot ewes and I'm trying to increase the amount of lambs reared per ewe.Last year I scanned 1.47 per ewe. I'd like to get this up to around 1.7. I bought a Lleyn and a BFL last year so it'll be next year before those Hoggets will be lambing. I like the Lleyn but apparently there are some lines of the breed that are not as prolific as others. I don't want to waste 3/4 yrs and then find this out so that's why I was thinking Belclare. How prolific would first cross belclare be off a Scotch or Cheviot ewe? Would they be good ewes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farm365 wrote: »
    I currently have mainly Scotch and Cheviot ewes and I'm trying to increase the amount of lambs reared per ewe.Last year I scanned 1.47 per ewe. I'd like to get this up to around 1.7. I bought a Lleyn and a BFL last year so it'll be next year before those Hoggets will be lambing. I like the Lleyn but apparently there are some lines of the breed that are not as prolific as others. I don't want to waste 3/4 yrs and then find this out so that's why I was thinking Belclare. How prolific would first cross belclare be off a Scotch or Cheviot ewe? Would they be good ewes?

Yea , i thought Lleyns were the ideal breed with the first breeding lines that i used ten years ago, however I got badly disappointed with the last five years replacements.......Like you say it took a few years to realise it and wlll take many years to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

Probably wrong but I assume if your keeping scotch x cheviot sheep you are farming on a hill? Could they cope with the extra lambs

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea , i thought Lleyns were the ideal breed with the first breeding lines that i used ten years ago, however I got badly disappointed with the last five years replacements.......Like you say it took a few years to realise it and wlll take many years to recover.

How so, just from a prolificacy point or a combination of things?

razor8 wrote: »
    How so, just from a prolificacy point or a combination of things?

Yea, prolificacy mainly and too many barrens as well.
    Their mothers (three quarter texel) have out produced the Lleyns every year since the first Lleyns became hoggets, iykwim, also more barrens in the younger ewes. Masssive difference last year between the 2 and 3 year old Lleyns and 4 ad 5 yearold texels

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

razor8 wrote: »
    Probably wrong but I assume if your keeping scotch x cheviot sheep you are farming on a hill? Could they cope with the extra lambs

Fair question. We have access to a hill but we d

• Advertisement

Fair question. We have access to a hill but we d
    Fair question we have access to a hill but we don't really use it anymore so I'm trying to change the system hence the legacy of the scotch/cheviot ewes. I'm farming part time so don't have time to be trekking around a mountain.We have good land which would easily support ewes with two lambs. The plan would be to use the scotch/cheviot ewes as the base of the flock crossed with a more maternal/prolific breed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

At the start you mentioned a BFL. If you can keep him alive, would the cross with the scotch form the base of right nice ewe lambs ?

Also where to from here rangler ? A different llyen or belclare or something else ?

At the start you mentioned a BFL. If you can keep him alive, would the cross with the scotch form the base of right nice ewe lambs ?

Also where to from here rangler ? A different llyen or belclare or something else ?

Yeah the mule are nice sheep my only concern is they can be hard fed in the winter. The Lleyn hold condition very well and are not hard to feed.

I bought some nice feminine Texels from Ryan Texels, so that's what next years replacements will be, I needed something with size, another maternal breed would leave my ewes too small, I always found the texels prolific, hopefully these'll do the same

I bought some nice feminine Texels from Ryan Texels, so that's what next years replacements will be, I needed something with size, another maternal breed would leave my ewes too small, I always found the texels prolific, hopefully these'll do the same

Have you any experience of Belclare? I've heard all the horror stories about triplets but surely the first cross wouldn't be too prolific.

• Advertisement

Have you any experience of Belclare? I've heard all the horror stories about triplets but surely the first cross wouldn't be too prolific.

If the first cross is well minded, they will be prolific, a farmer i know lets out nearly everyone of his 350 ewes with two lambs and rears 140 pets from them as well, his ewe lambs would scan like normal adult sheep at 1.8 with a few quads as well.
    All his land is newly reseeded and I believe that is a huge contributor to the big crop, his grass is probably as good as a ration, ewes milk like cows and lambs grow like weeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

we lambed a batch of belclare ewe lambs this year, they were off every mix of a dam (lowland) , lambed over 200% , most had doubles, a couple of singles, 2 threes and 1 quod.

they were in lamb to a ch & were super mothers, fantastic mothering ability & loads of milk, we left no more than 2 with any of them,

I know rangler isn't in favour of a ewe lamb having multiples, ..... but we only keep February born lambs for breeding

After lambing they were rotated after the cows in the paddocks, & got no meal , weaned late July and the lambs sold as stores aug/sep. again getting no meal

the mothers have grown into super hoggets & were put to a texel this year.

orm0nd wrote: »
    we lambed a batch of belclare ewe lambs this year, they were off every mix of a dam (lowland) , lambed over 200% , most had doubles, a couple of singles, 2 threes and 1 quod.

they were in lamb to a ch & were super mothers, fantastic mothering ability & loads of milk, we left no more than 2 with any of them,

I know rangler isn't in favour of a ewe lamb having multiples, ..... but we only keep February born lambs for breeding

After lambing they were rotated after the cows in the paddocks, & got no meal , weaned late July and the lambs sold as stores aug/sep. again getting no meal

the mothers have grown into super hoggets & were put to a texel this year.

That's a great result it sounds like a great system grazing after the cows. Were they all first cross belclare? What weight did you sell the lambs at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Horror stories!!! Surely the goal is to wean as many lambs as possible. Its 2 mins work to adopt on a triplet lamb onto a ewe with a single. Hey presto 2ewes rearing 4lambs. The majority of our ewes are at least 1/2 belclare some are probably 7/8 or even pure bred. The purer the are the more lambs they have but the 1/2 bred ones scan about 1.75 which is a bit poor I know but very managable for anyone. A lot of people believe the stories of belclares having lots of quads or quintuplets but we scan about 2.1 and might have less than 10 quads out of 850 ewes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

That's a great result it sounds like a great system grazing after the cows. Were they all first cross belclare? What weight did you sell the lambs at?

yep all first cross,

vast majority weighted about 35/36 kgs and make 80/83 euro

one pen of ewe lambs including a few belclare from ewes weighted 37 kgs and made 90 euro

lightest pen (all whethers) weighted 32kgs and made 78 euro

Horror stories!!! Surely the goal is to wean as many lambs as possible. Its 2 mins work to adopt on a triplet lamb onto a ewe with a single. Hey presto 2ewes rearing 4lambs. The majority of our ewes are at least 1/2 belclare some are probably 7/8 or even pure bred. The purer the are the more lambs they have but the 1/2 bred ones scan about 1.75 which is a bit poor I know but very managable for anyone. A lot of people believe the stories of belclares having lots of quads or quintuplets but we scan about 2.1 and might have less than 10 quads out of 850 ewes

Agree but a lot depends on your set up, quality of land, facilities, indoor or outdoor lambing, full or part time farming etc etc

Why keep sheep or any stock if you're going to do it half arsed just keeping you're head above water or making a loss. Ewes going around all summer with one lamb is a waste of time, money and grass!

Why keep sheep or any stock if you're going to do it half arsed just keeping you're head above water or making a loss. Ewes going around all summer with one lamb is a waste of time, money and grass!

Depends on your financial commitments I suppose, lambing 2.4 lambs/ewe isn't worth the bother just to pay 51% tax on the profit if you don't need it.......quality of life and all that

If you're going to pay 51% tax then find a different hobby! It's not the part timers I've an issue with. I know plenty of fellas with good land that let it go to wrack and ruin with over grown hedges and weeds, and a few cattle or sheep that are dying for the sake of a worm dose!! Then they complain they can't make a living from farming!!

Who said anything about doing it half arsed? All I said was it all depends on your situation and the facilities and land available to you. It might not be possible for everyone to scan 2.1 or be practical but for others it suits their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What type of ewe and rams does everyone keep. I get the feeling I'm the only farmer with a fully terminal ewe Suffolk cross and texel x type(with very little"maternal" breeding in the ancestry). We keep Suffolk's x ewes and they get put to texel or charolais depending on type and the texel ewes go to the Suffolk ram. A simple enough system

If you're going to pay 51% tax then find a different hobby! It's not the part timers I've an issue with. I know plenty of fellas with good land that let it go to wrack and ruin with over grown hedges and weeds, and a few cattle or sheep that are dying for the sake of a worm dose!! Then they complain they can't make a living from farming!!

What's wrong with farming sheep for a hobby, you couldn't be at better.
    I paid my tax today, and it certainly wouldn't entice you to increase production, we've enough going on at lambing,without a couple hundred triplets in the mix.
    I was scanning at 1.8 - 2. and hope to get back there again......but no higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

What's wrong with farming sheep for a hobby, you couldn't be at better.
    I paid my tax today, and it certainly wouldn't entice you to increase production, we've enough going on at lambing,without a couple hundred triplets in the mix.
    I was scanning at 1.8 - 2. and hope to get back there again......but no higher

Well, I suppose I'm a lad who is sheep farming as half a hobby... ;)

Got my tax update yesterday, getting tax back... I need not concern myself with the 51% tax on sheep farming for another while ;)

Even though I have packed in lambing, for a while anyways - I would tend to agree with Stan to an extent.
    The goal is to get as many lambs on the ground as possible. Now, I was lazy and used to sell any pets I had, as I didn't have the time to be messing with em. But even selling a few extra pet lambs at 20euro each covers a lot of expense for that ewe...

However, is there an upper limit? I don't know, number of ewes and available labour come into play. You don't want a load of tiny, half shook, troublesome lambs either... time is money, and is in short supply at lambing time. So it's trying to find the balance of the biggest number of lambs, with the least work I guess...

What type of ewe and rams does everyone keep. I get the feeling I'm the only farmer with a fully terminal ewe Suffolk cross and texel x type(with very little"maternal" breeding in the ancestry). We keep Suffolk's x ewes and they get put to texel or charolais depending on type and the texel ewes go to the Suffolk ram. A simple enough system

We always had fairly black faced Suffolk ewes here. Good mothers we found, good milk, nice and docile...

But the scan rate wasn't high - could be low, but last year was almost 2, but that was an exceptional year to be fair...

Im not saying everyone should be scaning 2.4 and have triplets everywhere. We had about 140 triplets from 850 ewes.If the weakest one dies big deal she still has 2. Its handy to have the extra lambs as most of them were adopted on.
    We sold about 50 twin lambs from ewe hoggs for 20 euro as we only let them rear one. That 1000euro bought 3tons of meal for ewe hoggs and their lambs which helped to wean them earlier meaning they were in good nick to go back to the ram. So those extra lambs came in very handy sometimes its better to be looking at them than looking for them least you have options.

Im not saying everyone should be scaning 2.4 and have triplets everywhere. We had about 140 triplets from 850 ewes.If the weakest one dies big deal she still has 2. Its handy to have the extra lambs as most of them were adopted on.
    We sold about 50 twin lambs from ewe hoggs for 20 euro as we only let them rear one. That 1000euro bought 3tons of meal for ewe hoggs and their lambs which helped to wean them earlier meaning they were in good nick to go back to the ram. So those extra lambs came in very handy sometimes its better to be looking at them than looking for them least you have options.

Totally agree...

Interesting you only keep 1 lamb on ewe lambs. I would have thought the same, that a ewe lamb would be doing well to rear one and mind / grow herself as well...

Totally agree...

Interesting you only keep 1 lamb on ewe lambs. I would have thought the same, that a ewe lamb would be doing well to rear one and mind / grow herself as well...

He said ewe hoggetts :confused:

He said ewe hoggetts :confused:

I think Stan spent some time in the uk (or maybe he's based in the U.K.?)

Either way - I assumed he meant a ewe lamb, which are sometimes called ewe hoggs over there...

But - I could be all wrong too... and in which case I dunno what I'm rambling on about ;)

I think Stan spent some time in the uk (or maybe he's based in the U.K.?)

Either way - I assumed he meant a ewe lamb, which are sometimes called ewe hoggs over there...

But - I could be all wrong too... and in which case I dunno what I'm rambling on about ;)

I always refer to them as ewe lambs too even when they are lambing, but we should becalling them hoggets after the 1st january

• Advertisement

Hoggetts in my mind lamb at 24 months . ewe lambs 13 months

Ive spent some time in Britain but live in the south east. Im refering to ewe lambs yes. Ive always called them ewe hoggets once the ewes start going in lamb so basically from now on. Lambs, ewe hoggs, 2, 3,4 year old. Im probably wrong but thats what i call them anyway

Hoggetts in my mind lamb at 24 months . ewe lambs 13 months

Apologies i just call then 2 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

When ever I think of hoggets, I think of stuff destined to factory in the spring and how much per kg. anything else breeding wise I think of ewe lambs.

What kind of profit is possible from a flock of 250 ewes assuming the following:

Stocked at 4 acre
    Lowland sheep
    Lambing 1st March
    Weaning 1.6 lambs per ewe
    Replacement rate 20%
    Indoor lambing
    Sheep housed for 3mths approx
    All ewe lambs bred in first year
    All silage made on farm by contractors
    Concentrates only fed to ewe lambs 6wks before and 6wks after lambing and twin bearing ewes 6wks before lambing.
    No debt or rented land
    20 % of lambs finished on concentrates
    Minimum fencing every year replacing 200 stakes.
    Soil PH good lime spread every 3yrs at two tonne acre.
    5 acres reseeded every year costing €250 acre
    Excluding SFP

About €14,000 achievable and realistic not including cost of fencing IMO

• Advertisement

What kind of profit is possible from a flock of 250 ewes assuming the following:

Stocked at 4 acre
    Lowland sheep
    Lambing 1st March
    Weaning 1.6 lambs per ewe
    Replacement rate 20%
    Indoor lambing
    Sheep housed for 3mths approx
    All ewe lambs bred in first year
    All silage made on farm by contractors
    Concentrates only fed to ewe lambs 6wks before and 6wks after lambing and twin bearing ewes 6wks before lambing.
    No debt or rented land
    20 % of lambs finished on concentrates
    Minimum fencing every year replacing 200 stakes.
    Soil PH good lime spread every 3yrs at two tonne acre.
    5 acres reseeded every year costing €250 acre
    Excluding SFP

Why do people lamb 1st march your first lambs will be ready when prices start to tumble. Will you creep any lambs when you say you'll finish 20% of lambs on meal. What breed of sheep would you have. What is occupying the land at present. Are you going to have to build housing for them

Why do people lamb 1st march your first lambs will be ready when prices start to tumble. Will you creep any lambs when you say you'll finish 20% of lambs on meal. What breed of sheep would you have. What is occupying the land at present. Are you going to have to build housing for them

I wouldn't have enough grass before 1st March. No creep feeding just finish the last of the lambs on concentrate. Have a mixture of breeds at present 50% scotch and 50% cheviot suffolk cross and a few Lleyns but moving towards Lleyn,Mule or Belclare cross....something maternal and prolific. Have enough housing at present. I've just taken over farm and I have 150 ewes 35 ewe lambs and 10 sucklers.

I wouldn't have enough grass before 1st March. No creep feeding just finish the last of the lambs on concentrate. Have a mixture of breeds at present 50% scotch and 50% cheviot suffolk cross and a few Lleyns but moving towards Lleyn,Mule or Belclare cross....something maternal and prolific. Have enough housing at present. I've just taken over farm and I have 150 ewes 35 ewe lambs and 10 sucklers.
    What's your plan for the lambs . live or dead trade? You would be weaning at least 1.8 with belclare breeding one would imagine . what rams would you use. I think a belclare x Suffolk ewe could suit like the ones in athenry

What's your plan for the lambs . live or dead trade? You would be weaning at least 1.8 with belclare breeding one would imagine . what rams would you use. I think a belclare x Suffolk ewe could suit like the ones in athenry

All lambs at moment are finished for factory and I am under stocked so I would probably do the same and would have capacity to do so. I'm introducing a paddock system next year too which should help.I'm lucky I've very little fencing to do as most fields are laid out already. I wouldn't rule out the store trade either if it's like this years trade earlier in the year.If it meant getting lambs off earlier and having more grass for the ewes and in better condition for the ram I'd consider it. I've been using Charlaois and suffolk rams for the last few years.I find the Charlaois great they 're up and drinking straight away and they weight like led. If I never had another suffolk again it wouldn't bother me. In vigour when born and constant dirty back ends. The ones that live thrive well and are first gone but they have no place on a farm with a part time farmer. I'm going to use the scotch ewes as the base of the flock and breed first cross Lleyn or Belclare off them or mules. I have some suffolk ewes at the moment but they are too hard fed and hard to keep condition on them. They are not prolific and find they have a lot of bottle tits. I'm considering upping stocking rate and buying in all silage but you don't know what kind of quality silage you will be buying

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Great results, would a 3/4 or 4/5 Belclare ewe still produce good fat lambs if you crossed them to a Texel ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement