Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing comfort blanket

Options
  • 02-11-2016 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all, bit of a strange one, my lad has a comfort blanket that he has had from birth. Hes 2 now. Now the thing is, it doesn't get washed very often, usually only if it gets really soiled. His mam thinks different, she hates the fact it doesn't get washed every second day but I believe it has his smells and doesn't need to be and takes away from it. Would love to know what other mams/dad's opinions are. To point out it does get washed every now and then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

justinmg1 wrote: »
    Hi all, bit of a strange one, my lad has a comfort blanket that he has had from birth. Hes 2 now. Now the thing is, it doesn't get washed very often, usually only if it gets really soiled. His mam thinks different, she hates the fact it doesn't get washed every second day but I believe it has his smells and doesn't need to be and takes away from it. Would love to know what other mams/dad's opinions are. To point out it does get washed every now and then.

Unless it's covered in vomit or milk or something that would encourage fungus growth I'd be of the opinion that the occasional wash would be acceptable. That's also assuming there's no medical condition like asthma or pre-disposition to chest infections and the like. Probably worth pointing out that I'm a dad (and at the risk of being branded sexist) so probably have more of a tendency towards the 'sure it'll be grand' side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'd be the same, as long as it's not covered in food/vomit/poo or been wee'd on I'd be inclined to just give it the occasional wash. Sometimes we can be too hung up on clean, we need bacteria too for a healthy immune system. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I had (still have!) a 'blankie'. I also have asthma. It was washed occasionally. Very occasionally! I'm grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whaleofaday

My lot all had theirs washed occasionally, say every 3 months or so. Any more than that would have made them wear out a lot faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Had the same trouble with my youngest and his blankie. We had to sneak it into the washing machine during the day and hope he wouldn't spot it going round and round! One day he caught us out and had a massive tantrum until it came out of the machine.

As most others here have already said, unless it's absolutely manky, it'll be grand!

The young fella in question is 23 now and no longer has his blankie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

Thanks all, for your replies, Yeh as I said it's general dirt etc, no poo/ sick etc. Just don't want to loose his smell for him. Had my own blank for donkeys and never done me any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My youngest has a comforter blankie and it rarely gets washed as he misses his smell that comes from it, doesn't like it when it's clean and fresh.

On a funny note, my best friend (who is 33) has had a blanket/comforter since she was born, still sleeps with it, brings it down stairs during the day, it's been on honeymoon and every other holiday she's ever taken (in carry on luggage in case the bags get lost). Anyway, one day when we were around 20/21 she rang me in absolute uncontrollable tears because her dad had put it in the wash and the comforting scent had gone.. took her ages to get over it, and forgive her dad too, don't think it's been washed many times since then either. But I always think of her when I see a comfort blanket.

Advertisement