Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a shop to fit internet tyres

• 02-11-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking for some help.

I found a good deal on tyres online ( Irish based motorbike shop ).

Does anybody know a place that would fit them ? Anywhere between Kildare & Dublin. I am not having any luck so far, even if I bring the wheels off the bike. (Tried a few car places too)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Seriously lads...another fukcing tyre fitting thread....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yeah like seriously. you'd think tyres were important or something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Kat1170 wrote:
    Yeah like seriously. you'd think tyres were important or something

Funny how they can buy tyres on the net but never tried the 'search' button?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

bladespin wrote: »
    Funny how they can buy tyres on the net but never tried the 'search' button?

Come on guys, not everyone reads and/or memorises all of the threads, or even knows you can search threads. Be helpful, or STFU and jog on.

Or, take your sh1t to biker.ie, you'll fit in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

rat_race wrote: »
    Come on guys, not everyone reads and/or memorises all of the threads, or even knows you can search threads. Be helpful, or STFU and jog on.

Or, take your sh1t to biker.ie, you'll fit in there.

Been here since 09 and has 1700 posts, but the OP doesn't know you can use search? Jog on.

Aww, did someone get bussied and got a strop on???

14000 posts since it was started, yeah it's just grand.

Edups wrote: »
    Been here since 09 and has 1700 posts, but the OP doesn't know you can use search? Jog on.

Did I say the OP didn't know how to use it? I suggested that everybody might not; it's possible the OP didn't. Or they didn't think of it this time. Either way, no need to include yourself in an expanding set of d1cks. Again, be helpful, or STFU.

Or request/add a sticky about shops that change tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Did I say the OP didn't know how to use it? I suggested that everybody might not; it's possible the OP didn't. Or they didn't think of it this time. Either way, no need to include yourself in an expanding set of d1cks. Again, be helpful, or STFU.

Or request/add a sticky about shops that change tyres.

Stop. The search is on every page you visit.

The stop now applies to you spamming my threads, do me a favour, stop that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

had a shop many years ago put a deep scratch in my brand new motorcross wheel. I don't need to pay someone to damage my property so I purchased the required tools and mount all my own bike tires

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I know a couple of mechanics who will do it for a regular customer but won't do it for someone they don't know. They find it cheeky and a bit disrespectful and I'm inclined to agree with them. Like you wouldn't go into a restaurant with your own chicken fillets and ask them to cook them for you.

CaptainR wrote: »
    I know a couple of mechanics who will do it for a regular customer but won't do it for someone they don't know. They find it cheeky and a bit disrespectful and I'm inclined to agree with them. Like you wouldn't go into a restaurant with your own chicken fillets and ask them to cook them for you.

Then they should re-think their business model, and get with the times. Or end up like HMV, who refused to adapt to the internet market.

A job is a job, and mechanics are PAID for it; you're not "asking" them.

Your mechanic vs. restaurant comparison is ridiculous, and not worth even considering. If you hire a carpenter in to your house to hang a painting, should he be offended that you didn't buy the painting off him?

If a mechanic shop a) charges for the tyre change and b) throws on a bit extra on the cost of the tyres (hidden charge), then they're just being schmucks.

They should just have a price for tyre change, and that's it. That price has to be feasible for them, simple.

Then they should re-think their business model, and get with the times. Or end up like HMV, who refused to adapt to the internet market.

Possibly but it's a poor model, conceding to competition, that would result in massive hikes for services, it's still quite unusual to buy bike tyres on the internet, more common on cars and even there you will struggle to find many who will fit parts sources elsewhere.

Possibly but it's a poor model, conceding to competition, that would result in massive hikes for services, it's still quite unusual to buy bike tyres on the internet, more common on cars and even there you will struggle to find many who will fit parts sources elsewhere.

People buy tyres on the internet + have them fitted locally, because it saves them money.

Therefore, we know it is done, and there are garages who do it. Garages who make money off of it, regardless. It is that simple. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't do it, or they would raise the prices.

Those garages that don't, will suffer, and it's their own fault.

Your "massive hikes for services" argument doesn't hold; supply and demand dictates everything.

Hypothetically, people would stop buying on the internet if was cheaper to buy & fit in the garage. Things tend to even out. But often times it is cheaper to buy online.

Your "massive hikes for services" argument doesn't hold; supply and demand dictates everything.

Very naive, for sure, in a niche market there are more factors in play, all you have to do is look at the number of threads on this very subject to understand that, if you want mass market economical rules then you're better off flying your wheels to the UK.

That said, I've had tyres fitted and will continue to do so as long as it makes sense to do this, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it just that shops will fit/not fit as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

A job is a job, and mechanic's are PAID for it; you're not "asking" them.

If you hire a carpenter in to your house to hang a painting, should he be offended that you didn't buy the painting off him?

If a mechanic shop a) charges for the tyre change and b) throws on a bit extra on the cost of the tyres (hidden charge), then they're just being schmucks.

They should just have a price for tyre change, and that's it. That price has to be feasible for them, simple.

I'm not talking about Bikeworld or big shops, small independent one man garages aren't going to have an online site to sell gear its not feasible to have a stock of tyres or other stuff. Go like HMV? Whose gonna fix your bike on the internet?

The carpenter example is wrong, carpenters don't sell paintings. Mechanics sell tyres, they rely on a profit from parts to stay open.

Mechanics get tyres at trade prices, their not adding "hidden charges" they're selling them at retail. Anything you buy in a shop is gotten at trade prices, their hardly adding hidden charges. The suppliers who sell to mechanics also put around 40% on the tyre, that's the way of business.

I'm not having a go at all, I'm just giving you their point of view. I buy certain things over the internet myself, but wherever I can I'll try support local, especially in the bike trade where they are struggling at the moment (indies anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I do it with car tyres, some garages will fit them some won't. I asked the guy who fitted mine did he have a problem with fitting them?
    No, he said, Its money that I didn't have before you walked in the door.
    Suits me and suits him.
    Not everyone thinks that way but many are taking the opportunity and making money off it on the way.
    They don't have to buy and pay for stocks of tyres and keep them in stock.
    A customer turns up gets the tyres they want fitted and they are happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CaptainR wrote: »
    I'm not talking about Bikeworld or big shops, small independent one man garages aren't going to have an online site to sell gear its not feasible to have a stock of tyres or other stuff. Go like HMV? Whose gonna fix your bike on the internet?

The carpenter example is wrong, carpenters don't sell paintings. Mechanics sell tyres, they rely on a profit from parts to stay open.

Mechanics get tyres at trade prices, their not adding "hidden charges" they're selling them at retail. Anything you buy in a shop is gotten at trade prices, their hardly adding hidden charges. The suppliers who sell to mechanics also put around 40% on the tyre, that's the way of business.

I'm not having a go at all, I'm just giving you their point of view. I buy certain things over the internet myself, but wherever I can I'll try support local, especially in the bike trade where they are struggling at the moment (indies anyway)

You have to have an online presence these days or fail be it only a Facebook account or a website.

It doesn't matter the size of the business its not expensive to do.

If you don't your business will not get new custom when old custom or customers die off.

Its imperative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

it's still quite unusual to buy bike tyres on the internet

I got a pair of tyres mail order from the North in 1998 and saved a bundle even after paying for them to be fitted locally. Nothing new in this.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I got a pair of tyres mail order from the North in 1998 and saved a bundle even after paying for them to be fitted locally. Nothing new in this.

Never said it was new just not usual, I've been buying parts online as far back as that yet the local shop still does a good trade, there's still a large number who feel safer/better using bricks and mortar.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Come on girls, don't make me lock this thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't think we're really in disagreement here :)

The point is that mechanics here shouldn't be getting their knickers in a twist about people buying tyres elsewhere and asking them to fit them. It's a service that has a cost (just like fixing a customer's bike that doesn't involve new parts e.g. unseizing brakes) so they have a right to charge for their expertise, labour and equipment used. They can choose not to provide that service if they want, but it's their loss and if they do it looks like the business lost in future will only increase.

Some bike shops etc. need to get over themselves, but we already knew that :D

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement