Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Pedestrian crossing in a straight through small town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

A Lidl and Aldi within 100 metres of each other.
    Ardkeen. Waterfords self proclaimed answer to D4 has this. I almost feel sorry for them filling up their Ardkeen Stores carrier bags with cheap German products as there's not even an M&S here for them to pretend they were in.

Seat alhambras parked badly outside local shop with young lads pissing out the back windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Deedsie wrote: »
    Alright Thatcher, what's wrong with taking the bus to work? Better than sitting in a line of traffic with the other geniuses.

The bus is the more sensible option most of the time.

Its grand if youre going from stillorgan to the IFSC.

But youre in Cabra mate.

Gotta side with Maggie on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If Your estate is named after a priest Bishop or Canon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Tracksuit clad women with multiple children of varying ethnicity in tow outside the post office/shop/chipper.

Foreign reg cars with half flat wheels.

Estates full of Dacia Dusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

People spitting all over the place.

• Advertisement

Local lotto written on a pallet with jackpot of €34.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Houses with names on the front door like "Old Trafford", "Anfield" and "Parkhead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Elvis is king over the front door.
    Overflowing Ray Whelan dustbins.
    Late teens/early twenties walking around sucking an e-cigarette, sometimes pushing a buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

D12 is included in address :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

If you still see John Player boxes floating around, rather than Camel Blue, Menthol Clicky variants or empty bottles of Vape Juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

Drove through a pretty rough part of Finglas recently (is there any other type of part of Finglas ;) ) and found many of the houses to be adorned with Irish flags.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Fat kids. Really fat women. Women in posh areas take way better care of themselves, the hoi polloi don't.

Drove through a pretty rough part of Finglas recently (is there any other type of part of Finglas ;) ) and found many of the houses to be adorned with Irish flags.

Nationalism is something those who have little else to live for cling on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

I'd be nationalistic too if the state paid for the house I live in and gave me an allowance every week to live off!

If they really wanted to support Nationalism they'd go plastering flags up around Blackrock and D4, dont expect a gang of protestants to be marching through Finglas anytime soon! Effect of the flag is lost on other nationalists.

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    If they really wanted to support Nationalism they'd go plastering flags up around Blackrock and D4, dont expect a gang of protestants to be marching through Finglas anytime soon! Effect of the flag is lost on other nationalists.

Woops sorry, back to original point

"Tiocfaidh Ar La" spraypainted on the walls is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Hmmm the gov here could probably have offered that area as a test site to US for their MOABs for a tidy sum:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Pivot Eoin wrote: »
    Woops sorry, back to original point

"Tiocfaidh Ar La" spraypainted on the walls is a good sign.

I spotted graffiti one time which read such and such "is a Vergon"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

-walls with bricks missing.
    -spitting and gollyers on the ground.
    -punctured, dirty footballs.
    -rubbish everywhere, particularly cigarettes, chipper bags, smashed glass from beer bottles and squashed coke/7up cans
    -feral kids on bikes and scooters that will call you a cuunt as soon as look at you, no fear.
    -a stray trolley from the shop.
    -at least one car/****box with ridiculously loud engine and tunes pumping for all to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Local Facebook raffles for an '04 Passat, for 20 euro a ticket.

" Numbers going fast folks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

People smoking on the street wearing a onesie past 3 pm
    Especially if it's a man

Ah come on...you hardly expect us to believe that this goes on.

Cloth tracksuit bottoms and no tops on, apparently. Funny how Belfast scumbags are the exact same as ours in appearance and behaviour evidently!

http://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-sunbathers-left-shocked-after-brawl-breaks-out-in-park-35681471.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cloth tracksuit bottoms and no tops on, apparently. Funny how Belfast scumbags are the exact same as ours in appearance and behaviour evidently!

http://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/video-sunbathers-left-shocked-after-brawl-breaks-out-in-park-35681471.html

lovely people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Yeah they are everywhere in Finglas. I dont see a problem with it.

Parts of Finglas are fine, the old parts near the village, and the posh Bono part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Parts of Finglas are fine, the old parts near the village, and the posh Bono part.

The West is great salt of the earth people.

• Advertisement

Two or three kebab shops with their meal deals plastered all over the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tanning/sunbed shops

Also ive heard 'salt of the earth' used so often to describe absolute wasters it is now a derogatory term to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A Lidl and Aldi within 100 metres of each other.

There's a new Lidl being built as we speak here, across the road from the... Aldi. In Bishopstown, Cork. The place where we all live with the mortal danger of being accosted by a seven-foot ex-loose head prop retired bank manager in a pink shirt collecting for the Guide Dogs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jimgoose wrote: »
    There's a new Lidl being built as we speak here, across the road from the... Aldi. In Bishopstown, Cork. The place where we all live with the mortal danger of being accosted by a seven-foot ex-loose head prop retired bank manager in a pink shirt collecting for the Guide Dogs. :D
    Bishopstown isn't what it used to be with all the middle class moved to Rochestown and Ballincollig to be replaced by young nurses and college students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

BattleCorp wrote: »
    i tink its waaaa rich priks kall de bookies.

When I was growing up 'Turf Accountant' used to be written on the bookie's window. Bookies, Betting shop or Turf Accountant, whatever they call themselves nowadays...they don't care what side of the tracks you come from, your money is as good as the next man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

retalivity wrote: »
    Tanning/sunbed shops

Also ive heard 'salt of the earth' used so often to describe absolute wasters it is now a derogatory term to me.

Yes, usually used to describe lads who are able to 'beat the system' like guntering along doing this an dat claiming welfare a bit of de 'dissabillitie'

AaahhJaysus ' Sollth' of de Eeeeeart dat lad ,doin his best ya know gettin things dun aaahhhhha ahhhh Aaahh aahhhhh Aah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Settled travellers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Victor wrote: »
    The houses don't have street numbers.

The houses have erratic street numbers (22, 23, 24, 5, 12, 27, 28) to deliberately confuse people, e.g. gardaí.

The houses have erratic street numbers so the new resident doesn't get their house burnt down in a case of mistaken identity.

As a community worker in disadvantaged areas, this is the bleedin' bane of my life. Latest I've seen is house numbers that were previously on wooden plaques having been hacked off (I presumed it might have been something to do with Irish water?) which leads to me being an absolute creep driving up and down streets at 2mph looking for the house I'm supposed to be visiting and getting filthies from the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lots of Black people

Don't see them in posh neighborhoods that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As a community worker in disadvantaged areas, this is the bleedin' bane of my life. Latest I've seen is house numbers that were previously on wooden plaques having been hacked off (I presumed it might have been something to do with Irish water?) which leads to me being an absolute creep driving up and down streets at 2mph looking for the house I'm supposed to be visiting and getting filthies from the neighbours.

Proves my point all about this IW thing.

These punters just don't want to be on 'anyones' radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I really hope they don't get bigger egos when the full arms of the law get thrown upon them.

We are lucky that they are not getting a slap in the wrist when they live in the North.

Pack of utter vermin. Hopefully; the innocent bystanders will get a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presumed it might have been something to do with Irish water?
    I think it predates that, but I certainly got queries of "Do you work for the council?", joking cries of "Anto, Irish Water!" and "Are you a journalist?" when doing surveys for www.openstreetmap.org
    Bambi wrote: »
    Lots of Black people

Actually, 'posh' areas do have a reasonable proportion of immigrants. It is the older council-built areas like Crumlin, Drimnagh, Coolock that don't - the populations there have low mobility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Victor wrote: »
    I think it predates that, but I certainly got queries of "Do you work for the council?", joking cries of "Anto, Irish Water!" and "Are you a journalist?" when doing surveys for www.openstreetmap.org

Actually, 'posh' areas do have a reasonable proportion of immigrants. It is the older council-built areas like Crumlin, Drimnagh, Coolock that don't - the populations there have low mobility.

never mentioned immigrants. kinda funny that you questioned one specific generalization in thread full of generalizations, why is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The estate is named after a saint or a dead republican

never mentioned immigrants. kinda funny that you questioned one specific generalization in thread full of generalizations, why is that? :confused:

let's not get fake outraged now. you mentioned black people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

retalivity wrote: »
    Tanning/sunbed shops

"Salt of the earth" is a wonderful expression of filth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Lots of Black people

I don't know about posh neighbourhoods but they're thin on the ground in Neilstown anyway. Very very few. Lucan next door has plenty though. There isn't anywhere for new people to move into in Neilstown - no new housing stock and nobody moves on really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lads with hands down the tracksuit pants.

osarusan wrote: »
    Lads with hands down the tracksuit pants.

my bedroom as a kid was pretty ****ing rough then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Scum bags who look like the Banjo guy for Deliverance. drinking tea out side there house 24/7 staring at people whats your problem there sitting room is the front garden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement