Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development Internship

Options
  • 02-11-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just curious if anyone has any experience doing a software development internship and what to expect.
    I'm a third year and next semester I have to go out for 6 months work experience.
    I have a weekend helpdesk job working 12 hours both days(11am-11pm) and i'm trying to decide if I should hand in my notice to focus on the internship or do I keep both jobs and work 7 days a week for 6 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

If you need the cash do the two. You probably won't be too stretched with the internship as it will take quite a while to onboard you as an intern and you won't be handed huge responsibility for the duration. Lot of time will be spent bug fixing and doing small jobs. More useful as a feel for what development in a professional environment is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Real world development is a massive divergence from the concept you most likely have at the moment. Prepare for a crash course, and like has been said - you won't be handed huge responsibility straight away. If you can do both, do but you canalways jack one in if its gets too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

There's no way I'd be working the weekend job as well as the internship. You need some sort of work/life balance and as long as the internship pays then you won't exactly be stuck for cash I'd imagine. I've done a couple of internships. The one pure software dev internship I didn't actually contribute to their product at all, but wrote an application to be used by their teams internally. Like the others have said, you'll have very little responsibility at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Thanks for the replies I have been giving it some taught and I have decided to quit my part time job and focus on the internship as hopefully that is where my long term future is and I don't want to screw up because i'm too tired from working the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm in a similar situation, but I still need an internship.

Any advice on where to find a role, other than my college website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Do the college not arrange interviews for students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Do the college not arrange interviews for students?

They list jobs on the college website, but we apply for them ourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Our college have relationships with a lot of the tech companies for instance SAP were in Wednesday giving a presentation to the students about what they do and the recruitment process.
    The jobs will be advertised on the SAP website so you can apply even if your college don't directly communicate with them.

I have gone to several open days companies usually advertise them and on those days they tell you what they expect and the process you go through so look out for them as they come up.

Are you getting interviews or no response from the employer if you are not getting interviews then look at your CV and if you are getting interviews try to figure out were you may be going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I sent you a PM about a position a few weeks ago when you mentioned this in another thread. I never heard anything back.

Let me know if you're interested or if you never got my message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I didn't receive any PM. If you based in Dublin city I would be interested.

I probably made a mess of sending the PM so.

Here's the job spec. If you're interested, send me a message here or an email. We could meet up during the week to talk through the work.

We're in Dublin, just off Merrion Square.

• Advertisement
Advertisement