Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame Cracked At Seatpost, What Now?

Options
  • 02-11-2016 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was collecting my bike from Drury St last night and when I lifted the bike out and put it down I noticed a weird noise/rattle from the back, it sounded like the back wheel was loose and hitting the dropouts. I couldn't figure out what it was and didn't see anything wrong with the wheel, QR, spokes, derailleur etc. As I was nearing the end of my commute to work I saw my seat tube bottle cage had a loose screw. Problem solved! I got off to screw it in, to see a crack in the frame just below the top screw, completely through the seat tube.

It's 2 years old with only 13,000km. I haven't been in any crashes and I try to avoid any potholes and large speedbumps if I can. I don't drop down from curbs and if I do, I stop and roll over the edge slowly for a soft landing. I imagine if the wheels didn't buckle then I haven't been riding anything the frame couldn't handle.

I'm in my third year of ownership so a new frame with Canyon is €439. It's a Roadlite AL 6.0 SL. I also just recently picked up from Campagnolo Zondas so I was in no need to change bike.

I've emailed them for warranty on the frame and will see what they say but I doubt it will go in my favour. If I need to foot the bill I can either drop €430 on an aluminium frame or spend around €2,000 on a carbon bike sell the wheels while also trying to sell the groupset and old wheels from my current bike or sell it as a whole for parts. Not sure what other options I have but I feel it would be difficult to part out my current bike.

At work at the moment so I can't add images unfortunately.

Comments

Advertisement