Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes overcharging

Options
  • 02-11-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Dunnes Stores Cornelscourt has been really bad with overcharging or not displaying price labels at all. I regularly spend extra time after shopping to deal with overcharged items. They do have a policy of refunding the full price of the item but staff are unaware/untrained and are extremely difficult about it and try to make you feel you are the trouble maker and causing them hassle, even though they are breaching consumer law by overcharging.

It may only be 50 cents here or there but in terms of gross margin that can be 15 or 25 % which is huge in terms of profit margin. So do check your receipts, take a photo of the shelf label and send it off to Dunnes head office via their website to complain.

The regulatory authorities do prosecute overcharging by supermarkets but not often enough!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not overcharging as such. Better half bought a free range chicken on Saturday in Dunnes in the Marches shopping centre Dundalk. Opened it on Sunday and it smelled slightly gone off . Checked the date and it 'use by 11th' she bought it on the 11th!!!! Anyway I brought it back and to complain about selling produce with a best before date on the date. Met with 'it is perfectly ok to sell such produce' and the killer 'it was half price! Well, it wasn't, €8 on sticker and €8 on receipt. I showed the the receipt to the supervisor and the response 'it should have been half price! No apology, no excuse, just you can exchange it (this after she stuck her head into the bag and got the whiff) I informed her that I was going out the door with a replacement that I had taken off the shelf, and wasn't going to queue up to exchange it. If Dunnes policy on selling fresh produce on the due date is bad enough, their customer care policy sucks, I would have expected a 'sorry' but no, attitude was it was ok yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

because its chicken it wouldn't have a best before date it would have a use by date and if it said use by the 11th then Dunnes are well within their rights to sell it up to and including the 11th . The purchaser must take some responsibility for not reading the labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't get how anybody would pick up and buy a chicken without checking the dates first. I check the dates on every food item in a supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't get how anybody would pick up and buy a chicken without checking the dates first. I check the dates on every food item in a supermarket

Same kind of people that don't understand paragraphs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I only once had an issue with shelf vs. checkout price in Dunnes (also Cornelscourt) and to my advantage it happened with a high value item - a large box of Ariel Automatic. Highlighted the issue to the people on the customer service desk and got a full refund straight away. It's possible the OP is taking issue with the fact that the workers on the floor are probably not up to speed with the store policy and in any event, they have no authority to deal with those incidents. In a different branch of Dunnes a long time ago I brought back an item of clothing for 'change of mind' and they gave me my money back so I have no problem with Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Didn't have an issue as I wanted the stuff and paid the price charged but 3 out of 5 items I bought today in Dunnes had had the price removed and there was no price indication on the hanger or display.

I guess the price had gone up and no one had bothered to put the new prices on but thats Dunnes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I informed her that I was going out the door with a replacement that I had taken off the shelf, and wasn't going to queue up to exchange it.

This sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

Advertisement