Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving under the speed limit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

yes there wrote: »
    Simple manners is all people are after.

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OP needs to read the rules of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

OP I think it depends on the road to be honest. Some roads have speed limits on them that are questionable and I'm talking about rural Ireland here.

A speed limit isn't a target to be reached. Safe driving should be the goal. I have a 40 to 45 minute journey to work in the morning on windy country roads.

The amount of insane overtaking is crazy. They still get stuck behind a tractor or on Tuesdays and Thursdays they get stuck behind the lads heading to the mart with their trailers. No problems with the lads going to the mart - they pay their road tax too. I just leave earlier on those days.

Keeping up to a speed limit doesn't equate with good driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

M94 wrote: »
    I am not the only one when you see these cars you see like a train of 20 cars behind them.
    Your car + other people not behaving the way you want = all your threads.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

People who drive more than 10per cent below the speed limit on 100 and 80k roads are disgusting creatures. Pull in and let the queue of cars behind you pass you inconsiderate excuse of a human.

Exactly. At least they would have the decency to move to the left and let you pass but no they would rather have 50 cars following behind and annoying everyone. Even Irish driving theory test advocates this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

People who drive more than 10per cent below the speed limit on 100 and 80k roads are disgusting creatures. Pull in and let the queue of cars behind you pass you inconsiderate excuse of a human.

That be breaking the law and not insured to.drive in hard shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Aineoil wrote:
    The amount of insane overtaking is crazy. They still get stuck behind a tractor or on Tuesdays and Thursdays they get stuck behind the lads heading to the mart with their trailers. No problems with the lads going to the mart - they pay their road tax too. I just leave earlier on those days.

Lads going to the Mart are driving as hard as their machines will go. Pricks in cars just need to wake up

Exactly. At least they would have the decency to move to the left and let you pass but no they would rather have 50 cars following behind and annoying everyone. Even Irish driving theory test advocates this.

The test tells you to drive in the hard shoulder? Your not insured while doing that

Of course. In Germany people drive 200 and I am sure there is less accidents as their driving test is much more difficult and people are considerate of others.

Another argument for IQ tests. You are aware that Germany has similar speed limits on roads that are limited to 80 and 100 here that people are arguing about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Example is N2 which is a straight road with absolutely no curves and you still get drivers driving 70 or 80 and the speed limit on that road is 100
    sounds like a perfect road to allow you to overtake that driver so.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Another argument for IQ tests. You are aware that Germany has similar speed limits on roads that are limited to 80 and 100 here that people are arguing about?

Yes but in Germany such problems don't exist, people are considerate of others you should do the IQ test yourself.

sounds like a perfect road to allow you to overtake that driver so.

Can't because there is too many cars in front to be able to safely overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes but in Germany such problems don't exist, people are considerate of others you should do the IQ test yourself.
    Dollop of irony, anyone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

ThisRegard wrote:
    So you're saying 89 and 71 respectively is too slow? This thread is bringing them all out of the woodwork.

Yes, if the speed limits were designed for those speeds the limit would be 90 and 70. Isnt that obvious though?

I dont mind people going their own speed as long as they respect other drivers and let them pass. Isnt a tail of 20 cars all tailgating the hell out of eachother comclusive evidence of who is being the gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Of course these so called problems exist in Germany, France, Denmark , Iceland or any other country you care to mention.

Roads are for all drivers, not just the selfish ones.

• Advertisement

Do you actually know anything about speed limits in Germany? You should Google it before you appear more foolish.

endacl wrote: »
    Dollop of irony, anyone...?

I do not dangerously overtake, even if I wanted to I couldn't due to large amount of cars in front of me most of the time driving behind the slow driver.

You obviously haven't driven outside Ireland

Yes, if the speed limits were designed for those speeds the limit would be 90 and 70. Isnt that obvious though?

It's not obvious, explain your logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

In Poland arctic lorries are banned during the weekend to facilitate free movement of private cars.

I have nothing against lorry drivers but would definitely advocate the banning of farm machinery movement during rush hour. Farmers are always making the point of the hours they work (dusk till dawn) and that's great. So don't go for your paper at the local shop with your 60 year old tractor at 8.30am. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can see it every day, people overtaking dangerously on 1 lane roads because for some reason some people drive under the speed limit.

Who is really the dangerous driver there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up how they do things in Germany. It must be some sort of motoring nirvana there, some members of this forum must have wet dreams about that place. Meanwhile, we live in a different country.

Do you actually know anything about speed limits in Germany? You should Google it before you appear more foolish.

I know a lot about the speed limits in Germany and everywhere else in Europe they are all similar however in some countries they are followed and in some are not and example of that is Ireland. If you put some of these Irish drivers in German autobahn they would cause huge problems as many of them would stay in the overtaking lane slowing down all the drivers going at high speeds.

He was forced to in fairness, Jedi mind control or something apparently. Same mentality that say cyclists force them to drive dangerously.

You obviously haven't driven outside Ireland

I am not from Ireland.

I have said it is punishable in other countries and you fail the driving test so why is it acceptable here?

Can you demonstrate this to be true?

I know a lot about the speed limits in Germany and everywhere else in Europe they are all similar however in some countries they are followed and in some are not and example of that is Ireland. If you put some of these Irish drivers in German autobahn they would cause huge problems as many of them would stay in the overtaking lane slowing down all the drivers going at high speeds.

So you know that there is in fact a limit on many autobahns, not much more than the speed limit in Irish motorways?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

FortySeven wrote:
    I have nothing against lorry drivers but would definitely advocate the banning of farm machinery movement during rush hour. Farmers are always making the point of the hours they work (dusk till dawn) and that's great. So don't go for your paper at the local shop with your 60 year old tractor at 8.30am.

Wooooohhh now. I drive a modern tractor capable of 50kph. I have often been up behind cars. When I'm on the road im flat when it's safe to do so, meanwhile cars that are capable of much more choose to hold up other traffic

Can you read back my posts? I have said already that I do not dangerously overtake....

Of course. In Germany people drive 200 and I am sure there is less accidents as their driving test is much more difficult and people are considerate of others.

Road Deaths in Germany per 100k inhabitants is 4.3 ; Ireland 4.1

Deaths per Billion Vehicle Km ; Germany 4.9 Ireland 3.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Lads going to the Mart are driving as hard as their machines will go. Pricks in cars just need to wake up

I agree with you.I have no problems with the lads going to the mart, they know the roads and drive appropriately.

I do have a problem with those idiots who think they are invincible and are overtaking them on blind bends and single white lines.

So you know that there is in fact a limit on many autobahns, not much more than the speed limit in Irish motorways?

Of course, but that limit is followed and there isn't someone causing tailbacks, the problem is not the speed limit it's the ability to follow it.

You are age 21 no? How much can you really know about driving in all Europe?

Wooooohhh now. I drive a modern tractor capable of 50kph. I have often been up behind cars. When I'm on the road im flat when it's safe to do so, meanwhile cars that are capable of much more choose to hold up other traffic

Most of the time that's grand. I have no issue with people making a living. I would however advocate a policy such as they have in the UK when heavy use roads have an urban clearway policy where slow moving traffic is banned during rush hour.

Because I have been driving in Europe before I came to Ireland. I was driving in France, Belgium, Germany and Poland. So the next comment I guess will be go back to your own country and drive there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm comfortable in the knowledge that a large queue of cars behind someone is representative of the driver in front being the problem.

There's really no need to take this to extremes. My opinion is valid wether I'm a fireman or a humble parts advisor. We all have deadlines.

I'll say it again. Provision of suitable roads is the problem. The hard shoulder serves what useful purpose?

Yes we could take this to extremes I'll try and defend every ol gran and farmer and you can rally behind the rights of the BMankers.

In truth neither of us would be right. No one is forced to overtake - ever.

And the hard shoulder is awfully handy if you have some sort of problem.

Out/

Of course, but that limit is followed and there isn't someone causing tailbacks, the problem is not the speed limit it's the ability to follow it.

Are you serious, you actually believe every car on the autobahn drives at exactly 130kph?

I'm age 39 and have years of experience driving in Ireland, UK, Germany, France, Belgium and Poland.

This is largely an Irish issue in my experience. Possibly due to the terrible roads, partly due to the standard of past driving tests, partly the amnesty and partly the allowance of driving on l plates for decades. (Thankfully this one has been dealt with)

Irish driving standards are appalling and thankfully it will only be a generation to bring it up to European standards. Now, about those inadequate roads?

Are you serious, you actually believe every car on the autobahn drives at exactly 130kph?

Assumptions again. No I do not think that, what I know and not think is that cars that drive slowly stay on the right and let faster drivers pass them instead of driving slowly and causing tailbacks. So anymore assumptions?

• Advertisement

Assumptions again. No I do not think that, what I know and not think is that cars that drive slowly stay on the right and let faster drivers pass them instead of driving slowly and causing tailbacks. So anymore assumptions?

Have you actually driven in Germany? There are slow vehicles on their single lane roads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Reminds me of the time a young lorry driver was telling this old timer the best way into Rungis in Paris. The oul buck let him preach away for a while and he eventually asked him how many times he'd been there. 'Twice' says the young pup, 'you can follow me in this time'

'Well I've been going twice a week for thirty years so I don't need to follow you' says the oul lad, 'and I'd rather you didn't follow me either'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"Leave earlier"

"It's a limit, not a target."

I think we can spot the slow drivers. :D

Have you actually driven in Germany? There are slow vehicles on their single lane roads too.

Nowhere near the level as in Ireland. That's like saying there is poor people in every country, of course there is even in the richest countries there is poor people but not on the same level.

I've long since assumed you change your argument with every post, you were talking about people driving at 200 a few posts ago. The main topic being people driving under the limit but now you're talking about lane discipline.

Reminds me of the time a young lorry driver was telling this old timer the best way into Rungis in Paris. The oul buck let him preach away for a while and he eventually asked him how many times he'd been there. 'Twice' says the young pup, 'you can follow me in this time'

'Well I've been going twice a week for thirty years so I don't need to follow you' says the oul lad, 'and I'd rather you didn't follow me either'

I was driving outside of Ireland for longer than in so assumptions again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

ThisRegard wrote:
    It's not obvious, explain your logic?

Sarah, Frank and George leave for work at 9. They all travel on the same road which is 100k for the most part. According to Google maps or sat navs they should arrive 5mins early. This is obvious to all and has been the case for a few months now. Things are great and commuting is a pleasure.

One morning though they and many others are stuck behind someone doing 80k on the road. To compound matters anytime a stretch of road occurs where there is an opportunity to pass, the "driver" in front speeds up a bit making it too dangerous to attempt overtaking.

All and many others are late for work. Road rage and being late for work has soured many people's morning.

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm age 39 and have years of experience driving in Ireland, UK, Germany, France, Belgium and Poland.

This is largely an Irish issue in my experience. Possibly due to the terrible roads, partly due to the standard of past driving tests, partly the amnesty and partly the allowance of driving on l plates for decades. (Thankfully this one has been dealt with)

Its not an Irish issue, you find people driving below the limit everywhere, and it's not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Pac1Man wrote: »
    "Leave earlier"

"It's a limit, not a target."

I think we can spot the slow drivers. :D

I'm finding it hard to spot the slow drivers on this thread, but the impatient, the rash, the reckless, and the downright dangerous stand out a mile.

I've long since assumed you change your argument with every post, you were talking about people driving at 200 a few posts ago. The main topic being people driving under the limit but now you're talking about lane discipline.

There is poor lane discipline in Ireland and poor following of the speed limits.

Its not an Irish issue, you find people driving below the limit everywhere, and it's not a problem.

If you say that it is not an Irish issue then you have never driven outside Ireland or UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement