Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving under the speed limit

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

FortySeven wrote: »
    It has been repeatedly stated on this thread that some of us don't have an option to get up earlier or set off earlier due to multiple commitments. As is common for many in life.

I get the feeling people just don't want to change their ways and everybody else is at fault.
    FortySeven wrote: »
    School starts at 8.30. Work starts at 9. Rural, no childcare available, no family. Kids too young to leave.

Knock yourself out planning that one. At least you can see those drivers for what they are. Delays!

Can the kids not be in school 10 - 15 minutes early? We were often dropped off at school early due to my parents having to work. The school wasn't empty and we took part in some activities etc. Maybe this can be arranged at your childrens' school to facilitate parents?
    yes there wrote: »
    How is it stupid? Are you implying you dont have the intelligence to guage whether it is safe or not to pull into a lane on your left to allow another car passed? I presume you wouldn't dare drive on a motorway. Thank God for that, I can only imagine the carnage you would cause.

Since when did the hard shoulder become a lane? We are not talking about the motorway either so no idea why you are bringing that up. Your post if full of assumptions and one large very flammable straw man.

The hard shoulder is intended for cyclists and pedestrians. If there's not enough room on the road to carefully overtake, then don't. The hard shoulder should be left free for other road users.

Instead of debating the points, you are launching an ad hominem attack. There's a lot more logical fallacies out there for you to get through, although, I would rather discuss the issues at hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

I get the feeling people just don't want to change their ways and everybody else is at fault.

Can the kids not be in school 10 - 15 minutes early? We were often dropped off at school early due to my parents having to work. The school wasn't empty and we took part in some activities etc. Maybe this can be arranged at your childrens' school to facilitate parents?

Since when did the hard shoulder become a lane? We are not talking about the motorway either so no idea why you are bringing that up. Your post if full of assumptions and one large very flammable straw man.

The hard shoulder is intended for cyclists and pedestrians. If there's not enough room on the road to carefully overtake, then don't. The hard shoulder should be left free for other road users.

Instead of debating the points, you are launching an ad hominem attack. There's a lot more logical fallacies out there for you to get through, although, I would rather discuss the issues at hand.

This makes no sense. The only difference between the hard shoulder and the normal driving lane is just a painted line, it's literally same road with a line separating the parts. Because you are so inconsiderate of other drivers that's why we have so much congestions due to entitlement. If you look at Germany for example drivers are taught to be considerate of other road users and let them pass and they do it, that is the reason it works there but due to self entitlement there will be congestions forever in Ireland and the only thing left to do is emigrate which already a lot of Irish people done or buy a fast motorcycle, those are the only two options I see in order to avoid wasting half of your life sitting in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd be totally against driving in the hard shoulder regardless of speed. You can debate the rights and wrongs and who is at fault all day you've decapitated the ten year old kid that cycled out of a field gate not expecting you to be barrelling down the hard shoulder instead of the driving lane.

*just one of the things I've seen from driving in the hard shoulder to allow overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

M94 wrote: »
    This makes no sense. The only difference between the hard shoulder and the normal driving lane is just a painted line,...

Often the surface is different, and is more likely to have hazards. Also its use case is completely different.

Hardly just a painted line.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GustavoGaviria

This makes no sense. The only difference between the hard shoulder and the normal driving lane is just a painted line, it's literally same road with a line separating the parts. Because you are so inconsiderate of other drivers that's why we have so much congestions due to entitlement. If you look at Germany for example drivers are taught to be considerate of other road users and let them pass and they do it, that is the reason it works there but due to self entitlement there will be congestions forever in Ireland and the only thing left to do is emigrate which already a lot of Irish people done or buy a fast motorcycle, those are the only two options I see in order to avoid wasting half of your life sitting in a car.

What are you on? Hyperbol pills?

Nobody left the country over a little traffic and those that have left experience similar if not worse congestion. Producing a screenshot saying the hardshoulder can be used briefly those not mean it can be re-purposed to be a slowlane for drivers.

Since you want considerate drivers. Consider the Walkers, Cyclists, Actual Slow Moving Traffic like tractors, Horses, Broken down cars, Emeregency Services and the Garda who all at times need use of the hardshoulder. Now consider how many have been killed over the years by impatient, inconsiderate drivers chasing that extra 30 seconds. Too much Hyperbol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Emigrate because of driving? Then you mention Germany? Do you have any idea how bad traffic in Germany can be? None i'd imagine. The hard shoulder is quite different to the main driving lane, the hint is in the name ;)

Where did I imply that I am inconsiderate of other drivers?

Germany is used so many times in this forum as an example of good driving. There are many points we can take from how they drive in Germany, but it's not this shining example of perfect driving everybody thinks it is. Tailgating, merging and speeding is quite common in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The real issue is the lack of courtesy and common sense on the roads of Ireland, as clearly demonstrated on some of the opinions aired here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I disagree completely, if you want to sit at 90 in the very left lane then nobody is going to care. It's the clowns sitting in the overtaking lane at that speed thats grinds people's gears.

That would be an example of the lack of common sense

Advertisement